oil drip from muffler

TKBOTA

Equipment
B6000 4x4 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
I had been noticing a a drop of oil off to the side of the tractor, and minutes ago I found that it is coming from the muffler. Looks like the muffler is two halves and have been flanged together. I am getting a drip of oil from the center flange. What does this mean? Is this normal or do I have big problems on my hands?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Get a picture of it and post back, not really sure what is in that area to leak oil. :confused:

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Maybe you have a bad muffler bearing! :)
Just kidding!
Did you look above the muffler?
See if it is dripping onto the muffler from the engine.
Maybe valve cover.
Hope it is not exhaust valves.

Ray

TKBOTA

Equipment
B6000 4x4 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Can't get a good photo of it. Basically what would be the reason for oil going out the exhaust? I have not changed my oil since purchasing the previous owner said that he only put 10 hours on it since last changed (maybe I shouldn't have taken his word onit). Checked the level and it is way above the flat part of the dipstick and the numbers shown. Does anyone know what the full level should be? Could it be that it is overfilled or is it something like bxray mentioned about exhaust valves

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
The only thing I have seen like you are describing is unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust. Have you done a lot of idling of this tractor? Excess idling will cause this or I suspect that most likely you have an issue with an injector not spraying right. The fuel is not being burnt and going past the rings and out the exhaust valve. Or are the rings bad on one cylinder. I think a compression test and injector work are in order.

TKBOTA

Equipment
B6000 4x4 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
It is possible that I don't run it up to a high enough rpm? Still getting use to it. Doesn't have a tach, I would say I am at 1/4 throttle or less, should I be running higher (say half or above) at this time of the year I've only used it for plowing and lifting snow.
Just checked the owners manual about changing the old and it mentions cleaning the crankcase, what should be used and how would I do that through a small drain plug or oil filter

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Usually there is a simple marking on the stick.
Do you have the owners manual?
What model do you have?

It will not hurt or cost much to drain and refill the oil.
Mine takes 3.7 qts
Maybe it was overfilled.

Here is my manual oil stick reference.
And as Kurtee stated it may be unburnt fuel.
Try a sample on paper and a sample from dip stick and try to compare it.
And as he said you may need to open it up.

Attachments

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Running at slow speeds could be the culprit. An oil change appears to be definitely in order. Oil changes are not real expensive so I think to change and run it more to see what happens. I would let it warm up some then run it full throttle or close doing what you need to use it for. Watch the oil level and muffler drips to make a judgement call. I had to look up the model to see the age. It is very possible that nothing has been done to the injection system and it needs help. Also do these need the valves adjusted? Injectors and valve adjustment are normal maintenance on other diesels.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Working that machine at 1/4 throttle or less isnt good. I would say closer to 1/2.
Its governed, once warm pull rpms up a little higher than you normally run. I run mine probably 2/3. if im just moving it around, its whatever rpms i choose. Gotta give it a snort from time to time.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Running at slow speeds could be the culprit. An oil change appears to be definitely in order. Oil changes are not real expensive so I think to change and run it more to see what happens. I would let it warm up some then run it full throttle or close doing what you need to use it for. Watch the oil level and muffler drips to make a judgement call. I had to look up the model to see the age. It is very possible that nothing has been done to the injection system and it needs help. Also do these need the valves adjusted? Injectors and valve adjustment are normal maintenance on other diesels.
I agree with above - dont baby the ol girl - run her not like a dog - but feed the beast !:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you don't have it already go to Kubotabooks.com and download the service manual. ;)

TKBOTA

Equipment
B6000 4x4 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
I downloaded the book, but am unclear about washing the inside of the crankcase. (see attached image from the service manual)
Also the book does not show the dipstick, so I will try to get a picture of it tonight. if I remember correctly it had numbers on it up to about 6.

I have heard you should use kerosene for cleaning out the oil filter, is there anyone that could confirm this

btw, it is just as nice being part of the forum as it is owning the b6000, thanks

Attachments

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
What piece of equipment did you say this manual was for?

I downloaded the book, but am unclear about washing the inside of the crankcase. (see attached image from the service manual)
Also the book does not show the dipstick, so I will try to get a picture of it tonight. if I remember correctly it had numbers on it up to about 6.

I have heard you should use kerosene for cleaning out the oil filter, is there anyone that could confirm this

btw, it is just as nice being part of the forum as it is owning the b6000, thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't know if anybody else makes this but Amsoil makes a product called "engine flush" that you use before switching over to synthetic oil. It's as simple as dumping it in the oil and running, then drain like normal. Any crud that's inside the engine will be flushed out when you drain the oil.

TKBOTA

Equipment
B6000 4x4 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
I changed the oil and took out nearly a gallon in a 0.53ga capacity. used the tractor for about an hour running harder than usual and did not have the drip. two days later used the tractor for snow removal about 2+ hours, and have the noticed the drip again. Not sure what it is but it is black and thick. So my overfull theory is out the window

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
hmmm..... when you drain the oil sniff it. If it smells like diesel fuel then certainly all the above points mentioned can cause this. So can an leaky injector(s) and few other issues.

Change oil, put RPM's up a little; as mentioned, and keep a close eye on oil level and smell etc. for further diagnosis

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Run it higher than 1/2 throttle the next time you're out and see what happens.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Couple things that could cause this.

1: seal out in hydraulic pump. Check hydraulic fluid level.

2: bad injector, bad spray pattern in nozzle. Could be also something internal in the injection pump as well. Over fueling can cause fuel to get into oil.

Like coachgeo said. Give it a sniff test and check thickness as well. If oils really thin and smells like diesel, then it's getting diesel in the oil.

If it's thick and over full, then chances are it's an issue with the hydraulic pump.

If it's milky in color then chances are it's getting coolant in the oil. Usually will be obvious though and have some water in the oil.