oil drain plug gaskets

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i never found it in my owners manual. but recently i was informed that the drain plug gasket on my l3200 must be changed with each oil change.. finding a dripping drain plug gasket is not something you want to find...

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
If this is for your L3200H you have in your profile then your oil drain plug gasket number is 6C090-58960
There is several different parts look up web sites to order from.
Considering shipping costs and how many hours of use, you might want to order an extra or two.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I too like having my equipment 'right' when it comes to parts.

However, the oil pan drain plug isn't critical so long as it holds. You might find the Kubota part a tad expensive, especially if having to ship it in.

For our Kubotas I measured the plug bolt and next time I got oil changed in a truck asked the guy in the pit for gaskets that size and he gave me a dozen. Might be something to consider.

I've also cut my own gaskets out of a sheet of NAPA gasket material had around and used it for years in a Chevy heavy truck. Had one once leak so bad couldn't stop it finally used a smear of RTV around the drain hole and that too went for years through multiple oil changes.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For $2.16 I think I would use the OEM one.
http://www.colemanequip.com/Parts_Detail.asp?partID=16332

I have several Kubota plug gaskets here and they are a rubber lip seal gasket with a metal ring around them, (not sure if this is the same style) But you will not get the same seal out of a O-Ring or copper crush washer in these instances. ;)

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
the ones on my tractor was a solid copper ring.. if i would of known, i would of changed it every oil change. usually i replace them if they start having a bit of seepage, between oil changes.
the fiber gaskets usually need to be changed after 4-5 oil changes.. the crush washers, i usually change every time. but the solid ones i don't change unless there's a reason as mentioned above. now that i know, that practice will be modified.. just wanted to post to let others know, before they had any issues..

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
the ones on my tractor was a solid copper ring.. if i would of known, i would of changed it every oil change.
Same here... The Crush washers I have purchased from my Kubota dealer were solid copper, at least that what I am given for my B-7100.

Last edited:

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
yea, live and learn. i'll be buying a couple dozen drain plug gaskets, when i pick up my tractor. i lost a plug while mowing. found the plug, refilled the engine oil in the field. after another 20 hours of use, the damage started to make noise, shortly after the noise started the motor stopped. the tractor has been in the shop for a couple months, still waiting on insurance adjuster to decide whether to fix my tractor or total it out. can't say if the Kubota hazard insurance i bought with the tractor, is a good deal or not yet.

Last edited:

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
This thread is a curiosity to me. I have changed the oil in Kubota machines hundreds of times and it has never occurred to me to change that gasket. I have never had one leak.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i've never had a drain plug leak or come out before, as i mentioned above. if when draining the oil, i notice any seepage the seal/gasket gets changed. my dealer thinks i may of bumped the drain plug. prior to the mowing job. as i use the tractor logging and clearing brush. for only being a couple years old, it's starting to look rough... i was planning on fixing/painting and replacing damaged parts over the winter. having the engine give out, just puts everything on hold until i see what the insurance company does.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
This thread is a curiosity to me. I have changed the oil in Kubota machines hundreds of times and it has never occurred to me to change that gasket. I have never had one leak.
I keep the common size copper washers I use in a bin at work. Usually the only time they get replaced is if I drop one in the enclosed drain tub :eek: I replace more washers on banjo fittings then anything else. Only time i've had a drain plug leak is if someone dropped it and replaced the plug with out the washer. And once when some bone head used an impact to install a drain plug. His excuse was his arm was sore :mad:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have changed the oil in Kubota machines hundreds of times and it has never occurred to me to change that gasket. I have never had one leak.
Same here. Don't remember what my tractor has. :confused:

I do keep spares for the Harley, but its hit and miss if they get replaced.

slojoe

Equipment
MX 5100
Jan 1, 2016
Huntingdon TN
I realize that this is a pretty old thread, but I have a fix for the leaking drain plug problem. Got this from an old-time mechanic at the Dodge dealer a few years ago. He kept a bunch of leather in his toolbox for just such occasions, and would just cut out a gasket of the proper size and use that on leaking plugs. He said it was totally foolproof and worked every time. Worked for me!;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Have used leather for washers many of times.....crushes perfect and if it gets "wet" via oil - seals itself. Cutting the perfect hole in the middle can be fun, if'n you don't have a leather punch!:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I keep a couple spares for the Harley, but haven't had need for the Kubota, yet.

Probably not a bad idea to get one next trip for filters.......;)