Oh nuts

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine

About two weeks ago I switched the rear tires from the max out configuration to the max in configuration to make the rear footprint narrower. I have used the tractor for various things since then. Sunday and Monday, (yesterday), I have been pulling the disc harrows. After about 3 1/2 hrs yesterday I started to hear an occasional "click" every now and then. I stopped and checked everything over but could not find anything. Started harrowing again thinking it was just hitting an occasional rock.

This clicking sound quickly became more frequent and I determined that it was coming from the left rear tire and it was happening with every rotation of the tire. Disconnected the harrows and started to head back. After going about 500' it was doing it every 1/8 of a turn or less. Again I got off the tractor to check out the rear for anything that I could see that might be making the noise and praying that wan not internal to the rear end. While looking at the left rear wheel I noticed that one of the lock washers on one of the four bolts that hold the disc to the rim was noticeably opened some. I used an adjustable wrench that I keep on the tractor to tighten it as best as I could and found the other three very loose also. Checker the right side and they all seemed ok. Went back to the house, about 1/4 mile away and checked all the nuts and bolts that I had removed to change the tires around and found that those were the only four that had become loose. Back to harrowing.

I had checked all the nuts and bolts about 2 hrs of use after the change and all were tight.
Even it you do everything correctly, things can still go wrong.
Just a cautionary tale. :)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Actually your post reminded me that I needed to pick up an 18 mm x 1.5 die for the bota. Got one stud that that had a nut stripped out on it by a previous owner. The stud looks fine, but has metal from the nut caked into the threads :rolleyes: I got the new nut and washer, just gotta clean it up :eek:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
On my A/C's, they have spin out rims, with rail clamps. VERY used to correcting that noise... Good thing you caught it...:D:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Actually your post reminded me that I needed to pick up an 18 mm x 1.5 die for the bota. Got one stud that that had a nut stripped out on it by a previous owner. The stud looks fine, but has metal from the nut caked into the threads :rolleyes: I got the new nut and washer, just gotta clean it up :eek:
I bought a set of thread files, sae and metric. They work very well for things like this. Covers many threads with three files. 8 different pitch on each file.