o-ring seal replacement for injector pump

boxr_fan

Sep 20, 2009
Wilmington, IL, USA
I recently had an engine rebuilt and am having a problem with the fuel leaking from one of the injector pumps. The engine is a D1503 and the tractor is a L3010.

I've been working with the company that did the rebuild and they are sending me new o-rings. The mechanic said that after isolating which injector pump is leaking I should be able to remove the hard fuel line and remove the injector pump, replace the o-ring, and reinstall the injector pump.

Is it that simple? I thought the injector pumps were "tuned" to the engine requiring adjustment should you remove.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Mr. Mike

Equipment
b2400
May 30, 2014
Wright City
DONT remove the injector pump!!!! I had the same problem, removed the injector pump, put it back in and had to replace it (450.00!) remove the delivery valves separately, there are 3 o rings on each valve. replacing those should solve the problem. BTW, take the o rings to your local hardware store and try to match them up, I ordered mine from kubota. $ 78.00 for 9 little rubber o rings. they're pretty proud of those things. Good Luck!

jasonTDI

Equipment
May 31, 2014
Dunn, WI
You'll want to make sure they are Viton at the least. Regular o rings from a hardware store will deteriorate quickly and could potentially send debris into the injector. Then you'd have more issues. Best bet is find a Diesel injection Service or Total Diesel Care location (or similar shop) and get some from them. Should only be about $10.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Where ever you get the O-rings make sure they're metric and comparable with diesel. Close fitting isn't good enough.

al b

Equipment
l345dt, l48, l2550dt
Feb 15, 2012
Ct
DONT remove the injector pump!!!! I had the same problem, removed the injector pump, put it back in and had to replace it (450.00!) remove the delivery valves separately, there are 3 o rings on each valve. replacing those should solve the problem. BTW, take the o rings to your local hardware store and try to match them up, I ordered mine from kubota. $ 78.00 for 9 little rubber o rings. they're pretty proud of those things. Good Luck!
Mr Mike, what happened when you remove the pump? I ask because I removed mine and sent the block and crank to the machine shop for work. I thought pull it out and put it back the same way and I would be OK, am I to expect issues when I go to put the engine back together?

jasonTDI

Equipment
May 31, 2014
Dunn, WI
Mr Mike, what happened when you remove the pump? I ask because I removed mine and sent the block and crank to the machine shop for work. I thought pull it out and put it back the same way and I would be OK, am I to expect issues when I go to put the engine back together?
You cannot just do this. You need to make sure everything is at top dead center. Not running would be the least of your worries. Bent valve would be the concern (if these are interference engines) Honestly don't know, just speaking from other diesel experience.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You cannot just do this. You need to make sure everything is at top dead center. Not running would be the least of your worries. Bent valve would be the concern (if these are interference engines) Honestly don't know, just speaking from other diesel experience.
??? :confused: ???
Pulling the injection pump on a Kubota engine doesn't effect anything... guess that's not true... it effects the fact that it won't deliver any fuel to the injectors. ;)
The timing is only altered by not putting the same shims back under it when you reinstall it.
The only way you could "mess up" a re-O-ring on an injection pump it to not put parts back in it the same way you took them out!

Mr. Mike. I worry that you would pay $78.00 for 9 O-rings... I have hundreds of them and I only paid $14 for the set, and yes they are metric and they are for fuel use!
Heck I bought all the Kubota O-rings for my GST transmission, 93 of them, and I only paid about $25 for them.