Nortrac tractors

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I talked to a friend this evening and he is really hipped on buying a Nortrac tractor for Northern tools,, I guess all he is looking at is the 0's on the bottom line. Though I have tried to dissuade him from this venture he is insistent. So with that being said has anyone had any experience with these Chinese tractors? Good Bad Ugly???

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
I don't have any experience with Nortrac and I don't know anyone that has one, not that I know a lot of people. But here in the central part of the state everything is green.

My daddy always said, ya get what ya pay for!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your friend better be willing to do all his own service work because very few mechanics will touch them.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Your friend better be willing to do all his own service work because very few mechanics will touch them.
That is if he can get the parts for them. THINK LONG TERM. Is he considering this a long term investment? For big $$$$ new, I would hope so.

Cabela's also sells those tractors but parts and service after a few years - GOOD LUCK !!!

Just for the record. My B7100 was build around 1982 (32 years old). For the most part, I can and do still get all the parts I need from my 2 local Kubota dealers

I wish him well on his decision. He will get what he pays for.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yup that's pretty much the same things I told him, I will show him these posts and prove to him I aint full of Orange ,, hell I told him that I would buy green before buying one of them.
Thanks guys for backing me up on this

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
My local Kubota dealer is now carrying the Nortrac (not Jimna labeled, but Nortrac!) line.
It is my understanding that Northern Tool has an extensive parts and service line. There are other Japanese/Chinese tractors that I would trust less. Jimna may be a budget tractor, but they have a pretty good reputation.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Yup that's pretty much the same things I told him, I will show him these posts and prove to him I aint full of Orange ,, hell I told him that I would buy green before buying one of them.
Thanks guys for backing me up on this
No Problem skeets... We got your back on this issue. Oh well, some people just have to make the big mistake and learn from it.

I also agree with you skeets, about buying Green before I would buy one of them too...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
My local Kubota dealer is now carrying the Nortrac (not Jimna labeled, but Nortrac!) line.
It is my understanding that Northern Tool has an extensive parts and service line. There are other Japanese/Chinese tractors that I would trust less. Jimna may be a budget tractor, but they have a pretty good reputation.
I reckon with that being said its a gamble of rolling the dice and seeing where it lands. Maybe you get something decent, maybe you don't...

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
DanR hit it on the head. I can get parts for my B9200 that's at least 20yrs old OVERNIGHT if I wanted. Try that with most chinese tractors (new or older). A broken tractor is worth nothing.

If I was going to plunk down $15k for something that MIGHT work and MIGHT have parts or $18k to buy a brand that has a track record of supporting their stuff for the long haul? I'd spend the extra "insurance" every time.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I know of 3 people who have Nortracs. (none very well) One guy complains it breaks often & he has to wait too long for parts, one guy says his has never given him any trouble at all, and the 3rd guy says his has never broken down & he loves it….. but I think he loves it because it leaks oil from absolutely every where and it keeps the dust down when he grades his dirt road. He says if it doesn't leak, it's not a tractor.

I guess my opinion is that if you get lucky you might get a good one, but I think the odds are against it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I know of 3 people who have Nortracs. (none very well) One guy complains it breaks often & he has to wait too long for parts, one guy says his has never given him any trouble at all, and the 3rd guy says his has never broken down & he loves it….. but I think he loves it because it leaks oil from absolutely every where and it keeps the dust down when he grades his dirt road. He says if it doesn't leak, it's not a tractor.

I guess my opinion is that if you get lucky you might get a good one, but I think the odds are against it.
Its really hard to judge quality from some info like this... Some people could break a damn anvil if given a chance. Operator usage and treatment can make the shittiest cheapest thing last forever or break down often.

I've read reviews on all sorts of products on the internet for my own general knowledge sake and alot of times it comes down to customer misuse and not following instructions is why a product gets bad reviews.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks much guys,, I showed these posts to him and he says well maybe your right, and says you know I saw a Mahindra tractor ,they are cheap,, and as far as I was told they are made in India after an old case type tractor, at least that's what I was told, so here we go again,,,

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
YEP you're right. Made in India... as per Tactor Data.

"Mahindra is a major manufacturing corporation in India, involved in metals, automobiles, and farm machinery. In 1963, Mahindra joined with International Harvester to form the International Tractor Company of India (ITCI) and was producing a version of the B275 by 1965. The partnership with International ended in 1971, and ITCI merged back with Mahindra as the tractor division. The "Mahindra" brand name was first used on tractors in 1982. In 1994, Mahindra USA was formed to export tractors to the United States."

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks Eric I found that as well so can anyone tell me about them? I guess they are an ok piece of equipment but I don't know of any one that has one

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
The big things about "off brands" to look at besides the obvious build quality issues and availability on parts is the features and quality of those features.

For instance, Kubota pioneered the HST and has VERY few issues with them. Would I get an HST from Mahindra? I don't think I would.

A gear drive? Sure, those are pretty simple and less difficult to screw up...though if the clutch is not properly designed you could end up splitting the tractor to replace it frequently.

Other fancy things like FEL's, hydraulics, and especially the diesel engine...you want to closely determine if things are designed well with off brands. I don't want to get into a big bashing thing...but the Yamar diesels seem to have a much higher rate of failure than Kubota's....part of the reason why I went Kubota vs JD...since JD doesn't even make their own engines....I have personally heard of examples of the yanmar's putting rods through the side of the engine case.....never heard of that with a Kubota.

Just things to consider. If you're lightly using the machine and don't rely on it to make money, it might work just fine. If you're using it 8+ hrs a day and have employees using (and abusing) it..you might want a quality brand where you can get parts and repairs done quickly.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Thanks much guys,, I showed these posts to him and he says well maybe your right, and says you know I saw a Mahindra tractor ,they are cheap,, and as far as I was told they are made in India after an old case type tractor, at least that's what I was told, so here we go again,,,

I feel your pain skeets...:(

In my town a small, family owned business, that has been around for 59 years now, stopped selling JD tractors several years ago. When the big box stores (HD & Lowes) started selling JD tractors several years ago, they dropped JD and now sell Mahindra tractors.

It looks like they have sold quite a few over the past several years. I can't speak to the quality of the tractor but at least there are parts and service for them around here.

No I would not buy one. As long as I can afford to continue purchasing used Orange tractors and keep them running there is no need to look elsewhere.