Newbie in tractor world

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
Looking to purchase tractor for 3+ acres to mow. I have been researching tractors for sometime now and very confusing. I was originally looking at forgive me JD but seem they are overpriced for what you get. I have looked at all others and have found a Kubota B2650 HSDC but seem very expensive. Has front blower, MMM, sweeper installing new FEL. This tractor may be a bit too big for my needs . What is the general consensus.
I am new to the tractor world of ownership have worked on a few as am mechanic.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I guess it depends on how long you want to be mowing. No question you could get by with a smaller tractor but seeing your from Canada I assume you'll be using it for clearing snow.

My advise is don't do like I did not get a cab just because of the expense. I ended up trading mine back in on a cab tractor 2 years later and costing me another 5k over the original price. To me a little more tractor is better than being under sized.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
I guess it depends on how long you want to be mowing. No question you could get by with a smaller tractor but seeing your from Canada I assume you'll be using it for clearing snow.

My advise is don't do like I did not get a cab just because of the expense. I ended up trading mine back in on a cab tractor 2 years later and costing me another 5k over the original price. To me a little more tractor is better than being under sized.
what bull said. if you are going to use this tool in the snow at all. a cab is a must have, damn the cost. especially if that is one of it's primary duties. what else do you instend to be doing with this tractor I can assume mowing is likely.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
No, not too big if you are going to be comfortable. Yes, it is expensive and you could save money buying a B2601, but you would get really cold, I'd stay with the B2650. My wife saved me from doing what Bulldog did, she talked me out of buying an open station and man am I glad.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Depends on how much road you have to plow and if you'll be doing any other work with the tractor. How much would it cost to get your drive plowed for say 10 or 20 years? Do the math. If you can justify the cost, I agree a cab would be best. Except stay away from the B3350's! :eek: If you're primarily mowing, just get a 48" zero turn mower. They are the best. Super fast. I've got a 52" scag for my 10 acres of mowing. Wouldn't dream of doing it with a tractor. Good Luck.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I mow 3 acres every week with my bx2350 and 60"mmm. Also use it for snow removal. 50" rear blower and fel. I don't mind the no cab unless the wind is blowing snow back in my face. 300' of sidewalk and 400'of drrivewa and parking. A cab would be nice, but in the way in the summer.

If you are spending most time mowing, get zero turn. Hustler make a great one. Can mow at 14 mph with the bigger ones. A 54" deck on a zero turn will out mow a 60" on a tractor any day of the week. I spend about 2 1/2 hours mowing. Gets long some days, but it also doubles as my time alone with my tractor

Mike

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
A cab would be niiccceeee...to plow snow.
I also mow 3 acres. First had a JD 48" that took 2 1/2 hours.
Then the BX25 60" took 2 hours. Its now a back up.
Currently a DR 0turn 54" takes 1 1/2.

gmbc

Equipment
Mar 11, 2016
Thank you all for your response. I am looking to also use front end loader so am pricing with loader as this used did not have an FEL. I do have a truck with snow plow so plowing not as much an issue.
I did just find a used 250hr MF GC2410 TLB with FEL, front blower, MMM, tiller, dirt blade and sweeper for $26500 list but should be able to negotiate a little lower . Looks in good shape. Would be nice to have backhoe but no cab and even though a lot less than Kubota B2650HSDC may have to bite the bullet and get Kubota . MF may be big enough though as have 60" mower and would do everything thing els even though a bit small. Checked specs and is lower and does not lift as much as Kubota. Not really good comparison as they are different sizes but not sure what I really need for the 4 acres. Know what Iwant but that is the $$ factor

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
The Massey is a nice little SCUT, but it is still a SCUT as opposed to CUT. I learned long ago it is cheaper for me to rent a BH or mini excavator than buy one. A cab would be much more important to me than BH.

Of course what is right for me may suck for someone else.

gmbc

Equipment
Mar 11, 2016
Triple R thanks for input. The SCUT and CUT is really hard to differentiate at times. Guess that is why the Kubota is over $10 grand Canadian more even though less attachments. The cab is pretty sweet though . Have to pull the trigger soon but $38k is lots for a tractor.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
In 2013 I bought (and sold my wife on the idea) of a BX with the intention of filling three needs 1) Snow removal 2) Replace my ride on Crapsman. 3) Do a good amount of yard work from regrading the lawns to building retaining walls to...well you name it.

Well it's got the snow removal portion under full control and has been irreplaceable working the land however I still wasn't happy with the mowing of my 52" mid mount Even being a small SCUT it was still bigger than a ride on mower and a pain to turn around. It also is heavy and damaged turf. Last year I scored a great deal on a 48" Zero turn mower and it's freakin awesome. So fast and maneuverable it literally does circles around my BX.

Bottom line, get the right tool for the right job. A purpose built mower is worth the hassle of having to buy an additional machine. A Kubota is a perfect tractor IMO after putting 275hrs on it so far but it is not a perfect mower by any stretch.

gmbc

Equipment
Mar 11, 2016
Well I can get a 1 year old Gravely XL but only 42" cut used only about 6 times they paid 4200 CDN dollars what would be fair for used. I am researching and 42 may be a bit small guess just mow longer. The little MF GC2410 is sort of nice as for winter I do have a plow on a truck. The Kubota B2650 is just so much dough. I have been researching and this may be not a godd place to say this but a brand new LS XR3037 HC for $39K no snowblower. Again this is gong bigger. Will have to see about that Massey if still available. Sure hard to choose a tractor . What accessories what size etc.
Thanks all for input

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
... Zero turn mower ...freakin awesome. ... right tool for the job. ...
And, as luck would have it, Kubota makes those. :cool:

I did mowing on 2.5 acres with about a hundred trees to dodge and a lot of terrain features with a Farmall M pulling a finish mower plus a helper riding a 42" riding mower for several years. This required both tractors to run for about 3 hours every time. With the new Kubota Z725, I can do the whole thing by myself in 45 minutes and the end result is a far better job. Once you run a commercial quality zero turn mower, nothing else will ever do. The lesser quality zero turn mowers will still run circles around anything with a MMM. The only reason I would buy a MMM for a tractor is if I was really constrained on budget plus had absolutely no place to store 2 tractors.

gmbc

Equipment
Mar 11, 2016
Ok bought the Gravely 42" and that should be good for mowing and now to get a tractor. Still looking around. I even found a Kubota M6040 but think a bit large for my 4 acres which will be less once I build my shop and add a couple of sheds for gardening and canning. The Kubota M6040 came up when looking for tractor with cab and that is only used the dealer had with cab. Asking 35900 with loader only but cab. Will checkk out the LS and bot B2650 again.:confused:

gmbc

Equipment
Mar 11, 2016
Looks like I posted on wrong area of site. I made the plunge and bought the Kubota B2650 HSDC as it has cab and AC. Works great and mowing there was lots of dust and in cab was great. Used the loader and now looking for forks . I have quick attach but Kubota wants $1280 for forks. Tiat is like $500. Any one used the Titans and any comments on this. Thanks all and looking forward to accessorizing this unit. I tried to get the clamp on hooks for bucket but not available to fit this bucket as it is different from BX buckets. I got FEL, MMM, Front snow blower and sweeper.
Wanbt to get forks, land plane and a few other thing- post hole auger for suer next after forks.

gmbc

Equipment
Mar 11, 2016
Well, getting lots of use on tractor now. Moved a pile of broken cement from bushes in yard. About 12 or more loader buckets. Had slight mishap. One of the cement pieces rolled off back of loader and damaged light and hood. Will have to build a stop for other loads. If anyone is aware of a back stop for the loader let me know.
Wife and I enjoy tractor. Really nice when hot out as has A/C . Next to get forks and tiller.
Purchased hooks for bucket from Bolt on Hooks which got from this website. Thanks all.:D:D

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Looks like I posted on wrong area of site. I made the plunge and bought the Kubota B2650 HSDC as it has cab and AC. Works great and mowing there was lots of dust and in cab was great. Used the loader and now looking for forks . I have quick attach but Kubota wants $1280 for forks. Tiat is like $500. Any one used the Titans and any comments on this. Thanks all and looking forward to accessorizing this unit. I tried to get the clamp on hooks for bucket but not available to fit this bucket as it is different from BX buckets. I got FEL, MMM, Front snow blower and sweeper.
Want to get forks, land plane and a few other thing- post hole auger for suer next after forks.
I went to my Kubota dealer to order a set of Lad Pride forks, I talked to the owner whose family has owned the business for over fifty years and are also active farmers. He said, I'll be glad to order a set for you, but I've never sold any, too expensive. He does bulk buys of whatever good brand he can get that fits his standards. He had them in stock and I got them for $600, 48" 3500 pound capacity. We use them on our M8540 mostly and they work great.

My brother and I have bought Titan, Tomahawk and Loflin attachments which work well. For major implements we use Land Pride, Woods etc.