newbie cultivator question

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
We are looking to prepare ground for tree planting.
I've borrowed a friends cultivator with 1 rule, break ground first with my cultivator.
I've done roughly 20 passes over the same ground and it does not appear to be biting any deeper into the earth.
If it is getting deeper it's an inch an hour, 2 feet a day (Tragically Hip reference)
Please offer advise to this newb.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Could you post a picture of the implement you are using? Have you tried lengthening the top link? If that doesn't work, you may have to add some weight to the implement to make it dig.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
We are looking to prepare ground for tree planting.
I've borrowed a friends cultivator with 1 rule, break ground first with my cultivator.
I've done roughly 20 passes over the same ground and it does not appear to be biting any deeper into the earth.
If it is getting deeper it's an inch an hour, 2 feet a day (Tragically Hip reference)
Please offer advise to this newb.
I don't understand why you borrowed a cultivator, if you have one. That said, if the points on the sweeps aren't pointing down you will have a hard time getting any ground engaging equipment to suck into the ground.

How dry is your soil? There is a reason plowing is done in the fall, after it rains; or in the spring after the snows melt.

Robert

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Robert, I borrowed a tiller. Sorry for the confusion.
The ground is wet as we have had considerable rain this week.
I've lengthened then shortened the top link. Still only seems to be scraping the top layer.
I will try adding weight.
I will try posting a pic.

Thanks guys