Newbie-Advice on buying BX25d-1 or 1025r filb?

JustBXn

Feb 9, 2016
Eastern Michigan
I am a new member and would like some opinions on which one to choose, the bx25d-1 or the 1025r filb?

I will be digging holes all over to plant new trees, dig around pond to clean edges, site work for new barn, bury electrical, plowing snow, grating gravel drive etc.

I have been to many dealers and I have the John Deere 1025r filb priced the same with all the same options as the bx25d. Many options listed are standard on 1025r, but not for bx25d so I will list all. 3 pt. hitch, 12" backhoe bucket, mechanical thumb, rop light, rear light, tool box, 60 in. Blade.
I can get 1025r for exact price as bx25d.

I would like to know the pros and cons of both models if anybody can help because I am having a hard time deciding. I see many videos and see the bx25d is a beast. I have tested both out. Controls on Bh is much smoother on bx.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have no experience with the JD, they sell a many of them too. Here is what I do know, the BX25 is probably the best selling tractor for it's size and shape than any other tractor, now that is not always a good thing, there are several flaws with the BX, now of them are huge. YOU standard equipment is ....standard on the bx for most of it, lights, thumb,tool box and blade are not standard, NOR would I want to pay for them as standard equipment. THE backhoe bucket is standard, which one you choose is up to you - the 3 point is an add on, but at my dealer, ALL of that was standard, even filling the tires. I did not want a back blade nor lights, It is a lot cheaper to place those were I deem necessary. There are many video showing the JD making a little more HP, the hydraulics are faster at low idle etc. AND then again the JD has a plastic hood and an engine made by someone other than JD.

the bx is a beast - I had NO IDEA what I was getting until I sat on it and got it home. :eek:
things to do right off the bat on the bx (when you get it!:))

tweak the hydraulics
get spacers for rear
get a brush guard under it
get a toothbar
get hooks on bucket - see kenny for that

I decided on reputation and dealer - dealer gave me 12% off on the phone, 3 point, delivered for free and filled tires for free. Unless you get a lemon, and there is 2 year warranty.....I will bet it will last 2000 hours or more, question is, will you last that long!:eek:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I really hate to say it, but I would have to go with the 1025R over the BX25. We have two BXs as well as a 1025R though just the bare tractor, but it doesn't have the exposed HST fan, has position control 3PH as opposed to quarter inching valve and has dual hydraulic pumps.

I like the feel of the BX better, but functionally the 1025R just has more to offer.

JustBXn

Feb 9, 2016
Eastern Michigan
I have no experience with the JD, they sell a many of them too. Here is what I do know, the BX25 is probably the best selling tractor for it's size and shape than any other tractor, now that is not always a good thing, there are several flaws with the BX, now of them are huge. YOU standard equipment is ....standard on the bx for most of it, lights, thumb,tool box and blade are not standard, NOR would I want to pay for them as standard equipment. THE backhoe bucket is standard, which one you choose is up to you - the 3 point is an add on, but at my dealer, ALL of that was standard, even filling the tires. I did not want a back blade nor lights, It is a lot cheaper to place those were I deem necessary. There are many video showing the JD making a little more HP, the hydraulics are faster at low idle etc. AND then again the JD has a plastic hood and an engine made by someone other than JD.

the bx is a beast - I had NO IDEA what I was getting until I sat on it and got it home. :eek:
things to do right off the bat on the bx (when you get it!:))

tweak the hydraulics
get spacers for rear
get a brush guard under it
get a toothbar
get hooks on bucket - see kenny for that

I decided on reputation and dealer - dealer gave me 12% off on the phone, 3 point, delivered for free and filled tires for free. Unless you get a lemon, and there is 2 year warranty.....I will bet it will last 2000 hours or more, question is, will you last that long!:eek:
I hope I am responding correctly on your post. Thank you for your super fast response.
What are the flaws on bx25d?

JustBXn

Feb 9, 2016
Eastern Michigan
I really hate to say it, but I would have to go with the 1025R over the BX25. We have two BXs as well as a 1025R though just the bare tractor, but it doesn't have the exposed HST fan, has position control 3PH as opposed to quarter inching valve and has dual hydraulic pumps.

I like the feel of the BX better, but functionally the 1025R just has more to offer.

TripleR,
I agree with your post. The BX does feel better and hydraulics on BH much smoother than 1025r filb. What about the engines Kubota vs. Yanmar? Which one that are equipped exactly the same are better resale? Thank you for your help and fast response.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
TripleR,
I agree with your post. The BX does feel better and hydraulics on BH much smoother than 1025r filb. What about the engines Kubota vs. Yanmar? Which one that are equipped exactly the same are better resale? Thank you for your help and fast response.
In my area resale is a very close as green is the dominant color in agriculture and a lot of people don't realize the degree of outsourcing on the JD SCUTs and CUTs.

I prefer the cooling system on the BX as it pulls cool air in from the operator's platform while the JD pulls from the front and needs more frequent cleaning. I really don't think either engine is better than the other.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Game Changer?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
the "cooler" is up under where the notorious fan is located.

something worth noting .....the deere has a 1.1 liter engine, the kubota .9 liter, the deere makes 4% more power than an engine 80% its size. To me that says the kubota is burning a little less fuel and is more efficient .....

You planning on a MMM?

further reading :

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...sons/275933-cant-decide-deere-1025r-filb.html

JustBXn

Feb 9, 2016
Eastern Michigan

nightdevil

Dec 21, 2013
Maryland, US
the "cooler" is up under where the notorious fan is located.

something worth noting .....the deere has a 1.1 liter engine, the kubota .9 liter, the deere makes 4% more power than an engine 80% its size. To me that says the kubota is burning a little less fuel and is more efficient .....

You planning on a MMM?

further reading :

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...sons/275933-cant-decide-deere-1025r-filb.html
@85Hokie good reference

Have seen anything on moving the joystick to a new location? I found the thread on TBN but no followup.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri