new wheel weight option?

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I've been tooling around with alternative wheel weights.
Here's the latest idea.
Feedback is appreciated.

I attach a truck tire (235/75/15) to my winters with 4 chains.
Fill the truck tire full of concrete.
Wheel weights!

Crazy or crazy awesome?

Attachments

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
The goal is roughly 225 pounds ballast on each tire, this will affect how much concrete is used.
Any advise on how much a 5 gallon pail of mixed concrete weighs?

I'm confident I will be able to secure the new tire good and tight.
This should prevent too rough a ride.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well the average back of concrete from the hardware store is sold in 80 pound bags. Seems to me you'd need more then two and a half bags to fill enough of the void in a tire. Not to mention you'd probably want some rebar in there for the concrete to adhere to. Then your looking at well over 225 pounds a tire.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Save yourself a head ache and back pains and just liquid ballast the tires. You can get an air/water adapter from Tractor Supply for about 10 bucks and fill the tires yourself!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Well the average back of concrete from the hardware store is sold in 80 pound bags. Seems to me you'd need more then two and a half bags to fill enough of the void in a tire. Not to mention you'd probably want some rebar in there for the concrete to adhere to. Then your looking at well over 225 pounds a tire.
Rebar? Rebar is to unitize and strengthen a concrete section- I don't see where you would need rebar in the tires.
I agree with Eric- why not just fill the tires with liquid? Concrete is heavy- I mix 5 gallons buckets of it all the time, and I'd say they weigh 80 pounds or so. But, once the water leaves the concrete, it isn't quite as heavy- so, I don't think liquid filled will weigh much less than the concrete, but it will be easier to accomplish.

Freakingstang

Oct 23, 2011
NE Ohio
Save yourself a head ache and back pains and just liquid ballast the tires. You can get an air/water adapter from Tractor Supply for about 10 bucks and fill the tires yourself!
What does that adapter look like? I've been considering filling my 23x10.50-12 rears with 100% propylene glycol and was curious as to how to get it in there....

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Rebar? Rebar is to unitize and strengthen a concrete section- I don't see where you would need rebar in the tires.
Yeah I know what the rebar is for, and if he's tryin to add only 225lbs of concrete that comes out to about two and a half bags. There's still a helluva void to fill to get the concrete to evenly spread inside the tire. Concrete isnt meant to be used on anything in motion, chances are it'll crack all to hell and wont last when the tractor is moving. Concrete is both strong but brittle.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
No tubes needed for "Beet juice" it is non-corrosive and it is environmentally safe if you pop a bead or puncture a tire.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I had a heavy truck and equipment tire deal put a liquid ballast in my tires, not really sure whats in them but it was pretty affordable. I dont not have tubes in my tires. I figure if it pick up a nail or something that will puncture the tire chances are it'll hit the tube anyways. I have atleast half a chance to plug it without a tube in it!

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Kubota Man
Is beet juice good to -40 Celcius?
Ah Winnipeg.

Eric
I'm concerned with rusting the rims.
Will washer fluid eat thru the metal?
That's the reason for tubes.

I don't mean to add concrete to the drive tires.
I would add to a set which would be attached to the drive tires.
Hang them with chains.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I cant forsee washer fluid eating threw metal, its the same stuff you put in your car to clean the windshield with the wipers.