New vs used: First tractor...Kubota BX 18XX

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
My best guess is that it will be a few months and you'll be looking to dump the 1870.

The 1880 is a giant leap forward.
Can you elaborate? Other than saving a few minutes taking on and of the loader (not a frequent occurrence) and some minor convenience stuff I hadn't seem much that would compel someone to change machines. I may have missed something major.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I'm with the rest goldenrod24. Just what are these tremendous improvements on the 80 vs 70? Single point hydraulics that are more likely to leak and can't be used for anything else?

Don't get me wrong, I think the BX 80's are awesome. That being said, as a BX1870-1 owner, I see nothing that would compel me to trade it in on the current offering.

csaturno

Jul 29, 2017
Hamburg
Hello,
I am struggling with a decision related to the purchase of my very fist tractor. This will be a "hobby" tractor that I plan to use for typical yard maintenance work using he FEL to move gravel/mulch/clippings, to be used for snow removal in the winter, etc. I'm in NH so snow removal can be quite a chore with my 90' driveway. Initially I'll be using it to clear out and smooth a section of forest I'm clearing and then digging up an old driveway. I'm on a lot thats about acre so this isnt going to be a farm duty or heavily abused machine in any way.

Part of my plan is to use the machine to consolidate/downsize. I currently have a John Deere lawn tractor, a leaf cyclone I drag behind it, a monster 9hp walk behind snowblower, etc etc....I think that there's a real possibility I could basically replace almost all those machines with the single subcompact tractor plus accessories over time. My goal is to never need another machine (I'm approaching 40)

Accessories for these tractors are no joke, however, particularly the grass collector and snowblower.

I'm finding some used tractors with fairly low hours and some with a decent assortment of accessories for sale...most used looking ~$5K or so less than I'd pay for the same machine brand new. The used tractors are between 2 and 8 years old...

I'm significantly concerned buying used since I dont have much experience with this class of machine, its maintenance, how to inspect one, etc etc. Used also adds the transport complexity (all new dealers will deliver for free near me)

On the financial side going used means an immediate chunk of cash out of my savings....but no payments and no insurance required.

If I went new, Kubota has some pretty decent deals like 20% down and then 84 months at 0% financing which would allow me to spread out the expense over some more time.

If I buy new, I doubt I can afford the grass collector (~2500) or the Snowblower (~3500) and would probably add those later or look for them used. I am fine using the loader for snow until then but my wife isnt fond of the idea of me leaving grass clippings all over the lawn.

Have others struggled with a similar decision? What did you do?

The relative lack of these things on the resale market for models in the last few years seems to tell me many people are buying new...

I was in same exact boat-

I did the 0 percent and I did all the attachments-( when you buy the attachments with machine they are covered with same warranty and you can include them in the financing) so it was a no brainier.

I wanted a single do all machine that would last me for my lifetime

So I went with the Bx 2380 with blower and 54 inch deck.

I waited 2 years to make the decision and knowing now i would have never waited.

Its has been the best machine I have ever owned.

DO NOT HESITATE. You will be very happy.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I was in same exact boat-

I did the 0 percent and I did all the attachments-( when you buy the attachments with machine they are covered with same warranty and you can include them in the financing) so it was a no brainier.

I wanted a single do all machine that would last me for my lifetime

So I went with the Bx 2380 with blower and 54 inch deck.

I waited 2 years to make the decision and knowing now i would have never waited.

Its has been the best machine I have ever owned.

DO NOT HESITATE. You will be very happy.
Thanks!

The wife is fully on board now. I'll either be picking up my tractor this weekend (if the used purchase goes through) or will be immediately putting in an order for a new machine.

The initial ticket price hurts but I am also telling myself that I dont nearly beat myself up over car purchases and I only keep cars 5-10 years before I sell them. I hope to keep this for the rest of my life since I'm 40.