New tractor

mpallen2011

Equipment
Kommander z125, MX4800
Mar 25, 2018
columbia South Carolina
I’m curretly in the market to buy a new tractor! I have been looking at the MX4800 in 2wd drive with a loader and bush hog! I have been hearing a lot of my friends that farm really pushing for 4wd! I’m trying to get a idea if it worth the money for what I got! I live on 56 acres and have cows! I have a small garden and really only using lift for clean up and placing hay in the loft! Just looking for advice and recommendations! Thank y’all for the help

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
I’m curretly in the market to buy a new tractor! I have been looking at the MX4800 in 2wd drive with a loader and bush hog! I have been hearing a lot of my friends that farm really pushing for 4wd! I’m trying to get a idea if it worth the money for what I got! I live on 56 acres and have cows! I have a small garden and really only using lift for clean up and placing hay in the loft! Just looking for advice and recommendations! Thank y’all for the help

I wouldn't even consider buying a 2wd Tractor...not sure of the $ difference, but if I had to save up longer or finance longer to get the 4wd, I would..

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Four wheel drive?
ABSOLUTELY!
My first tractor purchase was gasoline and two wheel drive. The salesman kept trying to talk me into diesel and four wheel drive, but I knew better.
My second tractor purchase, I traded the first one in for a bigger model. Again he tried to talk me into four wheel drive and diesel, but I knew better.
On the third tractor purchase....
He was right all along. :D

mpallen2011

Equipment
Kommander z125, MX4800
Mar 25, 2018
columbia South Carolina
What would be the advantages of it! The lift power is the same! Or is it more about convoance of it! I have been using a small 33hp Massey form the 60s and it worked fine! Please don***8217;t take it as been argumentive just trying to get answers so I can make the right choice

ccs

Equipment
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
What would be the advantages of it! The lift power is the same!
What ccs said, Traction, Traction, Traction!

I'll give you a couple of the many reasons for Loving the four wheel drive on our farm.

Right now it's Mud Season.

When we clean out the barn, (horses, alpacas, goats, and a mule), it requires multiple trips to the manure pile. It would be impossible sometimes without four wheel drive. Then the few times a year that we turn the pile over to help with the composting, it allows me to push deeper into the pile to get Full Buckets to reduce the number of buckets that I'm moving. It's quite a pile. When people start complaining about the neighbors dog leaving a pile of sh!t on their lawn I put it in perspective and show them my pile on Google Earth, (not kidding!).

When I'm moving the gravel pile the four wheel drive allows me to back out of the pile with a Full Bucket without the back tires spinning.

There are a couple of spots when cutting grass where the back tires will spin when pulling the 15' bat wing mower. All I have to do is engage the four wheel drive and keep going no working it back and for get out of trouble. I don't mow in four wheel drive. Pop it in and out as necessary.

And the most important, Safety! Brakes on all four wheels if needed.

Not taking it as argumentative at all. :)

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
To buy with 4WD or not, say yes and twice on Sunday.

I have a L4600 so not a big girl or a baby either, kinda middle of the road I would say.

I find 4WD required or easier if used on the tractor for the following.

1- Subsoiling the garden
2- Loader work to get full bucket
3- Pulling out other tractors and or trucks
4- Pulling my road scraper with is a 6' land plane
5- Wet conditions
6- Snow and ice don't get enough to justify chains, but sketchy getting around in 2WD
7- Skidding trees

And the list goes on but the above are cases where I use it most often.

I don't think you would regret it and would find that you would use it often.

Good luck.

Jay

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
4X4 is a must!!

Start lifting/working at the upper 50% of the loader capacity and the back gets lighter, even with my 900lb backhoe on the back. It's really nice to have the front wheel to help pull you around.

I don't do any ground engaging work with mine, only a York rake which is nothing, and I use 4x4 A LOT.

And my property is bone dry. No mud to be found.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
2 wd vs 4 wd,,, You sit there watching every one else having a good time, or, It's the cute little red head at the high school prom asking you to dance,,, hell yes !!!! :D

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I think it will be worth getting for the first time u need the 4x4. I look at it the same on my trucks. Tractor is basically all off road too. Chances to need 4x4l off road go way up. Saw my dad years ago in his 2 wheel drive f250 get it stuck pulling his 5th wheel TWICE in 10 mins in a dry grassy field at a hunt camp. Sold me & him on 4x4 right then. He had a new truck like the one that pulled him out 2 weeks later. It’s worth every penny the first time u NEED it.

ccs

Equipment
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thank you all for the advice. Its giving me a lot to think about.
Not really much to think about - no one on here has said "yes,
get a 2wd" -- Trust the people on here - I have and their advice has served me well.

You get the 2wd and I'll bet you a 20 oz bone in ribeye, after 6 months you'll say "Man, I wish I had gotten the 4wd Tractor"

Good luck in your final decision - it is ultimately up to you.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Don't forget resale value, you will get more and sell it faster.
I use this line all the time with the Mrs, "Honey after I'm gone..." it works!

Just don't do what Skeets does with his guns. And I quote, " I hope she doesn't sell them for what I told her I paid for em." :D

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I use this line all the time with the Mrs, "Honey after I'm gone..." it works!

Just don't do what Skeets does with his guns. And I quote, " I hope she doesn't sell them for what I told her I paid for em." :D
Lol, I guess we'd be in trouble but not gonna matter much when your gone.:eek:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Congratulations.
You won't regret it.
Looking forward to the pictures and your reviews of four wheel drive.

barbjk

Equipment
tractor
Apr 6, 2018
Prince George, BC
Do you get snow? We only use the 4wd feature on our 70hp in winter. It needs the 4wd. (not impressed) in winter to move snow and hay.