New Tractor Soon / 2019 PTO Hp Lowered?

dairborn

Equipment
B2301, 434 FEL, SGC060 Grapple, BB1248, 54" MMM
Mar 3, 2019
Mcdonough Georgia USA
Hello

Yes I am a complete newbie when it comes to the tractor world. I grew up on a lake in over crowed NJ. We used a push mower to cut the grass and it would take about 45 minutes in total. Well I have moved around. Down to FL, and then up to GA were I work now. I have completely fallen in love with Southern Living. My wife and I moved out of our first house and now we have 4.25 acres of land under us. My father in law has a 24 acre farm in FL. Love the space. So I have had a toro lawn mower since 2007 and while it cuts the 1.5 Acres of grass, it takes a while and the CVT tranny is getting louder and louder as it ages. All belts have been replaced but wow is she making noise. I have been pulling a cyclone Rake Commander around with it for the last 6 years or so to pick up the grass and deal with the leaves. That rake is a beast. Whole other story.

So one of my coworkers bought about 16 acres in the next town over and he and I got talking and he mentioned that he was looking to get and L2501 to work on his property. Well this got me thinking and now I can't stop. Started looking at the BX series, really liked the 23s with the hoe, but then when I got to messing with the numbers and putting stuff together I realized that the backhoe isn't really worth the investment. I could move up to a B series and get more tractor and more stuff to put on it for nearly the same price.

So the primary purpose of the machine is going to be cutting the grass. Eventually I will get adapters so I can pull around the cyclone rake with the new tractor. The rest of the property has a lot of over growth. The home was built in 1988 and the property has a lot of brush that needs to be ripped up and cleared. We have a drive around driveway. In the center is this overgrown mess of shrubs, vines, and a small tree in the center. I think the idea was ok, but it has just got out of control. I want to rip all that out, (grapple?), either put new sod down, or maybe even drop some river rock. Not sure yet. We have a sink hole in the front that needs to be filled in with dirt/clay. In the back, about a 1/4 of the fenced in yard is overgrown with saplings, yard debris, rocks and old down trees. Need to be all cleared and burned to open that up. The back half of the property is all wooded. We have a 54inch gate that i would need to get through to get to the woods. We recently got a couple of ATVs that we have been using to cut trails with. I think a box blade to maintain the trails for my kids would be a great idea and there are some spots I would like to clear some of the downed stuff to make it safer for my kids.

So I am looking at either the B2301 or B2601. QA FEL 54inch bucket, and 3rd valve option. A grapple. 54 inch MMM deck and a 4ft box blade to maintain the trails in the woods. I was thinking about a bush hog for some of the brush in the woods and couple of spots in the front, but I am not really sure if I need it if I just rip it out with a grapple. I hate getting stuff and then having it sit.

So in my searching however, I noticed that Kubota has changed their engine HP numbers for 2019. Both the 2301 and 2601 HP ratings have dropped. However, this is what I can't figure out. On the pamphlet, it says that the PTO HP has stayed the same, however, when you go to the build your tractor page, the PTO HP ratings have dropped too. If that's true that's disappointing. I like the idea of bringing the BX quick drop to the B series, but what's wrong with the old engine. Seems everything is getting smaller these days, other then the price tag. Anyway, yes long. but let me know your thoughts. I will see if i can put some pictures up. Thanks ya'll!

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
How much HP difference, printed material may vary, really doubt there is any less tractor power & performance for either model

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hello

Yes I am a complete newbie when it comes to the tractor world. I grew up on a lake in over crowed NJ. We used a push mower to cut the grass and it would take about 45 minutes in total. Well I have moved around. Down to FL, and then up to GA were I work now. I have completely fallen in love with Southern Living. My wife and I moved out of our first house and now we have 4.25 acres of land under us. My father in law has a 24 acre farm in FL. Love the space. So I have had a toro lawn mower since 2007 and while it cuts the 1.5 Acres of grass, it takes a while and the CVT tranny is getting louder and louder as it ages. All belts have been replaced but wow is she making noise. I have been pulling a cyclone Rake Commander around with it for the last 6 years or so to pick up the grass and deal with the leaves. That rake is a beast. Whole other story.

So one of my coworkers bought about 16 acres in the next town over and he and I got talking and he mentioned that he was looking to get and L2501 to work on his property. Well this got me thinking and now I can't stop. Started looking at the BX series, really liked the 23s with the hoe, but then when I got to messing with the numbers and putting stuff together I realized that the backhoe isn't really worth the investment. I could move up to a B series and get more tractor and more stuff to put on it for nearly the same price.

So the primary purpose of the machine is going to be cutting the grass. Eventually I will get adapters so I can pull around the cyclone rake with the new tractor. The rest of the property has a lot of over growth. The home was built in 1988 and the property has a lot of brush that needs to be ripped up and cleared. We have a drive around driveway. In the center is this overgrown mess of shrubs, vines, and a small tree in the center. I think the idea was ok, but it has just got out of control. I want to rip all that out, (grapple?), either put new sod down, or maybe even drop some river rock. Not sure yet. We have a sink hole in the front that needs to be filled in with dirt/clay. In the back, about a 1/4 of the fenced in yard is overgrown with saplings, yard debris, rocks and old down trees. Need to be all cleared and burned to open that up. The back half of the property is all wooded. We have a 54inch gate that i would need to get through to get to the woods. We recently got a couple of ATVs that we have been using to cut trails with. I think a box blade to maintain the trails for my kids would be a great idea and there are some spots I would like to clear some of the downed stuff to make it safer for my kids.

So I am looking at either the B2301 or B2601. QA FEL 54inch bucket, and 3rd valve option. A grapple. 54 inch MMM deck and a 4ft box blade to maintain the trails in the woods. I was thinking about a bush hog for some of the brush in the woods and couple of spots in the front, but I am not really sure if I need it if I just rip it out with a grapple. I hate getting stuff and then having it sit.

So in my searching however, I noticed that Kubota has changed their engine HP numbers for 2019. Both the 2301 and 2601 HP ratings have dropped. However, this is what I can't figure out. On the pamphlet, it says that the PTO HP has stayed the same, however, when you go to the build your tractor page, the PTO HP ratings have dropped too. If that's true that's disappointing. I like the idea of bringing the BX quick drop to the B series, but what's wrong with the old engine. Seems everything is getting smaller these days, other then the price tag. Anyway, yes long. but let me know your thoughts. I will see if i can put some pictures up. Thanks ya'll!
I am unaware of any HP changes but mistakes are routinely made when literature and web pages are updated. Additionally, changes in regulations can cause manufacturers to re-rate.

Are you certain that you are comparing PTO HP to PTO HP rather than engine HP?

SDT

dairborn

Equipment
Mar 3, 2019
Mcdonough Georgia USA
So I have a 2018 information book. The numbers on the B2301 HP is 22. The PTO HP is listed at 17.5. On The 2601, the HP is 25.5 and the PTO HP is 19.5. Now the new 2019 Pamphlet on the website shows that PTO HP is the same, but overall Engine total HP dropping to 20.9 on the 2301 and down to 24.3 on the 2601. Now here is the other part that's off. If you go to the "Build your tractor" page it show's both the new HP Engine numbers, but the PTO HP has dropped on the 2301 to 15.6 and on the 2601 to 18.1.

And if you look across the site as a whole, all the numbers seems to have dropped on many other units as well. Just throwing it out there! I will be talking wiith some dealers soon. Hopefully I will learn more.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So I have a 2018 information book. The numbers on the B2301 HP is 22. The PTO HP is listed at 17.5. On The 2601, the HP is 25.5 and the PTO HP is 19.5. Now the new 2019 Pamphlet on the website shows that PTO HP is the same, but overall Engine total HP dropping to 20.9 on the 2301 and down to 24.3 on the 2601. Now here is the other part that's off. If you go to the "Build your tractor" page it show's both the new HP Engine numbers, but the PTO HP has dropped on the 2301 to 15.6 and on the 2601 to 18.1.

And if you look across the site as a whole, all the numbers seems to have dropped on many other units as well. Just throwing it out there! I will be talking wiith some dealers soon. Hopefully I will learn more.
I agree with STD.....
due to some "guberment" regs ---- the rated HP may have been lowered due to misleading information.

Unless that engine was de-tuned (which I cannot imagine) the old and the new engines are the same and the same power.

I hope it is much like the "new" 20 volt cordless tools - NON of them are 20 volts, they all work off 18 volts - 20 volt is a term of voltage when coming off the charger.....yet we in this country can say it is a "20 volt" system.

Hopefully someone here knows the scoop on the "new" '19 models and engines.

I would not let those numbers change your decision making process at all! Those engines will provide plenty of power no matter what you are doing - typically you will loose grip before stalling one of them!:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dairborn, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a nice place.

When I read you opening the first thing that crossed my mind was: Don't limit what you buy by the size of the 54" gate! Making an opening as wide as needed in a fence is pretty easy!!:D

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
A 54 inch mower deck will not easily go through a 54 inch gate. 54 inches is the mowed width, the chute and other hardware make it wider.

I totally agree that making your gate wider is a much better idea than compromising on mower width. Get the 60 inch.

In my observation the HP is usually in a round half - so 22.5 or 25.5 or the like. The KW rating often ends in a 0.3 or similar, presumably because the engine is rated in HP and converted to KW. Are you sure you're not looking at the KW ratings?

dairborn

Equipment
Mar 3, 2019
Mcdonough Georgia USA
Just for clarity, I don't intend on taking the deck into the woods. Nothing to cut back there and I would remove it to gain ground clearance. The gate I am talking about separates the last of the grassy area from the woods. If anything I would get a 48 inch rotary cutter to manage some of the brush back there. I am hoping I can clear what I can with the grapple. I am not sure if I really need a hog at this point.

As far as the B series goes. I like the size of it for working back in the woods. To me, anything bigger and it is going to get harder to move around back there.

As far as the numbers go, I think I am looking at the right stuff, but don't take my word for it....check them out yourselves. Very easy to see them on the USA Kubota web site. I will talk to the dealer soon enough, I am just curious if you all heard anything yourselves.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Late this afternoon I was at dealer pricing a B2601 with 54 inch deck , I settled on pricing with 60" for the fact the B2601 specs out at least 49" wide not leaving much deck on either side of tractor with 54 inch deck. Owner pointed that out he doesn't recall ever selling that tractor with 54"

Jumped off the fence Credit app pre approved did at home.

I go back tomorrow afternoon to drop of copy of driver license :D

dairborn

Equipment
Mar 3, 2019
Mcdonough Georgia USA
michigander

Hey, let me know how you make out. What else are you getting besides the 60" deck? I know we are in different parts of the country, but I am curious if you don't mind sharing how your shopping experience was. Did you go to multiple dealers if you had other options Thanks ahead of time!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I agree with STD.....
due to some "guberment" regs ---- the rated HP may have been lowered due to misleading information....
I realize that it's popular these days to be angry/critical of "guberment".... but the actuality is that mfr's inflate their specs for marketing reasons and those numbers are misleading. The regulatory attempt is to "level the playing field" amongst mfr's and to make the literature provided to consumers more factual/honest.
Sometimes the regulators are do-gooders that we should appreciate. IMO.

My shop air compressor claims to be a 6 HP model but the amperes demanded by the elect.motor (according to the dataplate) clearly do not equate to 6 HP...but more closely to 1-1/2. Yep. Calling the mfr'r reveals they had to change the decals and sales literature to more accurately reflect a standardized rating system all across the industry two years after I bought the compressor. If I'd had the advantage of better rating regulations when buying it... I would have benefitted from a lower price for that compressor because they'd overrated it with misleading info.

Last edited:

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
michigander

Hey, let me know how you make out. What else are you getting besides the 60" deck? I know we are in different parts of the country, but I am curious if you don't mind sharing how your shopping experience was. Did you go to multiple dealers if you had other options Thanks ahead of time!
I stopped by there this afternoon to get the wheels turning
looking like Saturday delivery on B2601 , FEL with quick coupler, 60" deck ,loaded turf tires and RB1560 back blade.

Kubota wise this is only dealer I priced at they are only 5 miles down the road.

-10* this am we have about 2 feet of snow pack in front lawn so no rush lol

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Congratulations I really like the B01 series. Just curious why you weighted the rear turf tires if it'll be used for mowing?

dairborn

Equipment
Mar 3, 2019
Mcdonough Georgia USA
Totally get the weighted tires. Plus that back blade should give it some nice balance. I am a little surprised you went with the Turf tires with the snow ya'll get. Any plans for snow removal with it. I suppose you could throw some chains on it and go if you need to. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the new machine!

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
OK just thinking a ballast box, or back blade, which are easily removed for mowing would be a more effective counterweight.

In my experience turf tires are the best choice on both turf and snow. I ordered my previous B7500 with industrial tires only to find they tore up my lawn (which is shaded and usually damp) when turning, so after a couple years bought a set of turf tires mounted on rims. The tractor rode a little better with them and I noticed rear didn't side slip when traversing across hills as it occasionally did with the industrial tires. Every Fall I changed back to the industrial (thank goodness they weren't loaded) as I felt the big block R4's had to be better in snow, and even they skidded around. One year snow came before I had a chance to swap tires so I went out with the turfs still on and was surprised to find they give a *lot* more traction, almost no skidding at all. After that experience the R4's never went back on.
Mud is a different matter, if you're mostly working on dirt and mud turfs aren't as good.

Last edited:

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Delivery looks like early next week I told dealer no rush

snow wise I don't plan on snow blower our driveways are short enough I can clean out faster with self propelled I have. but if had heated cab that would be a different story :D

Loaded tires the dealer strongly recommended with a loader being purchased, I have side hill mowing to look at loaded should help with balance ? I do see the loader being off the tractor most of summer.

If the side hill mowing setup fails I have a cub cadet rider as backup with 50" deck.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Totally get the weighted tires. Plus that back blade should give it some nice balance. I am a little surprised you went with the Turf tires with the snow ya'll get. Any plans for snow removal with it. I suppose you could throw some chains on it and go if you need to. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the new machine!
Turf tires are better in snow than are R-1s or, especially, R-4s.

The new R-14Ts look to be the better yet for snow.

SDT