new tractor package questions.

white cloud

Sep 15, 2016
S.C.
Hi Folks,

We are going to order an L2501 in the next two weeks. I have the trailer. What I need to get chains and binders. Can anyone tell me if 5/16" grade 70 chain is OK for this purpose. I was going to get four chains. I was also going to get 2 heavy ratchet straps to tie down the loader bucket and rotary cutter. Does this sound like a good plan to you?

Also the dealer suggested a Dirt Dog 100-4 disk harrow. Does anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Thanks, White Cloud

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi Folks,

We are going to order an L2501 in the next two weeks. I have the trailer. What I need to get chains and binders. Can anyone tell me if 5/16" grade 70 chain is OK for this purpose. I was going to get four chains. I was also going to get 2 heavy ratchet straps to tie down the loader bucket and rotary cutter. Does this sound like a good plan to you?

Also the dealer suggested a Dirt Dog 100-4 disk harrow. Does anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Thanks, White Cloud
In my opinion the 5/16" chain is the perfect "size" - 1/4" too small, and 3/8" is a bear to move and tote. And chaining 4 points is perfect also.

5/16" hooks also bind 1/4" and 3/8" chain.

I also think you have it covered well with the straps.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That size chain should be fine. Personally I use straps instead of chains. I just couldn't bring myself to use a chain on my new orange paint.

white cloud

Sep 15, 2016
S.C.
That size chain should be fine. Personally I use straps instead of chains. I just couldn't bring myself to use a chain on my new orange paint.
That I understand. How many and what rated straps? I will have a bush hog and loader on there. Thanks White Cloud.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I like the 2" 5000lb for about everything. I have some 3" 10K that I'll use but mostly they are for strapping hay down when I have to haul it very far.

I don't think you can ever have enough but I would use 4 on the tractor and at least one for implements. I normally carry about 10 with me just because you never know what you'll need. Another thing to look at is axle straps. They are made to wrap around things such as implements and then hook the straps to those. Mine have extra covers over them and are very hard to cut or tear. Hope this helps.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have only trailered mine a couple times. But I use 2" ratchet straps. The rear wheels have a open spot in four places. I run the strap through the open spot across through the other wheel open spot and down to the trailer. On the front behind the bucket on the FEL arms I strap down across there to the trailer. I love straps. I bought some 1 1/2" straps to haul atvs and strap down loads. I have customers show up to haul a 1500 gallon stainless steel maple sap tank with clothes line rope to tie it down.(honestly no lie). Common sense can not be bought. I like to drive like hell. So when I'm hauling something. I strap it down 'alot'.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I use 2" ratchet straps as well. Mine are dedicated and I have cut off all extra "tails" from them.

I put 2 on the front attached to the guard that comes with the loader. If that wasn't there Id use the frame.

I normally have something attached to the rear so Ill use that as my connection point right up by the 3pt hitch.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
I use 3/8s chain, big long ones. use one for front and one for rear. 4wd, brake locked on hard and it doesn't move. I check everything after about 2 miles. then every single stop or before any windy hilly driving that might be cause for concern. I still hate the way you chain or strap a tractor. it's crazy to me that there is not built in tie down points or something.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
I use 3/8s chain, big long ones. use one for front and one for rear. 4wd, brake locked on hard and it doesn't move. I check everything after about 2 miles. then every single stop or before any windy hilly driving that might be cause for concern. I still hate the way you chain or strap a tractor. it's crazy to me that there is not built in tie down points or something.
I went to Tractor Supply and bought two shackles the right size to fit the bottom holes of the FEL mounting bracket on each side. Got two short chains and two ratchet binders. Run a short chain on each side from the bottom of the loader bracket to the side of the trailer and snug it down. Super quick tie down and it is rock solid without scratching the tractor paint.

sinisterbiker

Sep 26, 2016
US
I also use the 2" ratchet straps and some axle straps. I haul my b7100 on an 18' car trailer, welded on 8 extra d-rings so i have multiple tie down points for the different attachments.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

evanyj350

Equipment
'07 BX24
Apr 11, 2012
Amherst, MA
Wow.. that is a good read..... thanks Purdue !

I have used 2" straps to secure my little BX, but it's usually chains. I am in the process of upgrading to a B series most likely. I will def be using chains for that... There are too many sharp edges to trust straps in my opinion.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
I think you have the tie downs covered. I use strips cut from an old inner tube to protect tractor paint in tie down areas.

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I use both straps and chains. It was interesting to read all the details but I didn't see any mention of cross chaining.

I was always told that when moving heavy equipment that front and rear cross chaining was the most secure.

I was ay Lowes this week and looked at the orange chain set mentioned on the forum, but in the end went for the longer grade 70 5/16 set. The orange was very appealing but I know I would be upset when it was chipped and the paint was missing, what can I say.