FormulaMatt

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX24
Aug 15, 2016
New Bern, NC
New to me BX24....problems? UPDATED!!

Updated Post:

Well, I did like suggested and swaped the pins inward. worked like a charm! It is on and good. I had a little problem with my PTO shaft being seized, but it is not greased well and working.

Still having a weird issue with the PTO though. At first it seemed and I thought it was me moving the FEL around that would make it work...well after messing around with it today...I realized it is more of a run time thing. If I use the tractor and drive it around for a while (10 mins give or take) It will engage the PTO by it self from the levers. Does it need to be a certain temp before it will allow the PTO to engage? On second thought, I think I will start a new thread in the other section on this issue.

Here are a couple pics of it installed and working now. I am going to leave the old pics as well for reference for anybody that may find this thread from searching though.

-----------------------------------------
Original Post:

Hello All! Just joined up and unfortunately it is due to needing help. However, I am a long time forum user and hope to be able to contribute soon.

Here is my situation. I have a new to me BX24. It has the FEL, BH, and 54"MMM. I have been using it around the house and a few small landscaping jobs here or there for the past month or two with no issues. One odd issue actually. When turning on the MMM, I would always have to jiggle or move the bucket up and down to get it to turn on. The power to the FEL and BH has been fine so I didn't think much of it and went ahead and ordered a operators manual in case I was doing something wrong.

Well in the mean time, I had someone ask me to bush hog an area for them and said why not. So I went and bought a bush hog. It is a few year old 48" King Kutter. After removing the BH and installing my newly bought 3pt setup, I went to hook it up. The mount pins seem wayyy to far apart to ever get them mounted up. I planned on coming in here to ask about that, so I said lets go ahead and put the driveshaft in and see if she will run it. Well, oddly enough, same issue as the MMM, I had to wiggle and move the FEL all over to get it to start spinning the bush hog. I turned it right off since I didn't have the rest of the attachments on.

Can someone PLEASE help me ASAP with what is going on? I am supposed to go bush hog this field in the next couple days. Thanks SOO much in advance!!

Attachments

Last edited:

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Have you checked the hydraulic fluid? Other than that I'm at a loss.

Mike
2014 Chrysler 300
1970 VW beetle
2006 Ford Freestyle
2008 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
2013 Passport 2920bh GT
BX2350
and a bunch of other crap

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You said, "...bought 3pt setup, I went to hook it up. The mount pins seem wayyy to far apart to ever get them mounted up."

There is a turnbuckle on each 3 pt. arm loosen them, and the arms will move further apart. Once they are on the pin of the mower turn them to take the slack out of the turnbuckle. Should be a little movement, but not much.

If need be, you can remove the pins in the mower and turn them inwards (reverse the direction they point). But I don't think you need to do this.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Make sure the category of the implement matches the category of the tractor. The categories start at zero and go up in size with each number
If you have a category zero tractor and a category 1 implement it probably won't fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A 48" mower shouldn't require any changes to the mower, as shown in the picture. You can't buy a smaller 3 pt cat. 1 mower.

FormulaMatt

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX24
Aug 15, 2016
New Bern, NC
Looks like the pins should be on the inside of the mower frame instead of on the outside.
Yep, from what all I am finding online, everybody with this tractor and this cutter have had to do that.

Now I just need to find out the PTO engagement issue.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Ideally for Cat 1, the inside distance between the ends of the lower arms would be 27-1/2 inches. A lot farther and you might do well to do some cutting and welding of that mower.

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
I think the PTO engagement issue is a safety switch that is not centering or is bad. When you move the loader lever its bumping the pressure and may help reset or center a switch that then allows the mower to engage. Hopefully your manual will help address this. Or go to your local dealer and talk with them about it.

FormulaMatt

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX24
Aug 15, 2016
New Bern, NC
Updated first post with resolution and new pics. Thanks all for the help!

Updated Post:

Well, I did like suggested and swaped the pins inward. worked like a charm! It is on and good. I had a little problem with my PTO shaft being seized, but it is not greased well and working.

Still having a weird issue with the PTO though. At first it seemed and I thought it was me moving the FEL around that would make it work...well after messing around with it today...I realized it is more of a run time thing. If I use the tractor and drive it around for a while (10 mins give or take) It will engage the PTO by it self from the levers. Does it need to be a certain temp before it will allow the PTO to engage? On second thought, I think I will start a new thread in the other section on this issue.

Here are a couple pics of it installed and working now. I am going to leave the old pics as well for reference for anybody that may find this thread from searching though.

Attachments