New owner of BX1870 needs advice

Semma

Equipment
bx2670, FEL, bx5455hd snowblower, 60 inch mower, soft cab, landpride fsp500
Jan 3, 2015
Shirley, MA, US
Hello all,
This looks like a great web site. Thanks in advance for taking my question. I picked up a 2013 bx1870 with 30 hours, 50 inch snow blower with hydraulic chute control, ballast box and mowing deck. I added an after market cab with glass windshield, windshield wiper, some lights and electric chute deflector actuator. All I needed was some snow! Tonight we got about three inches of light fluffy stuff and I couldn't wait to get out there. I found that on a slight incline in fast speed, that the engine bogged down. I have about three cinder blocks in the ballast box and was on a flat surface. On a slight upward incline it would bog down again so I shifted into low (turtle) and I had no problem. The front tires definitely did not want to bite in and I was careful to make sure there was no downward pressure on the snow blower. I've read other websites where a foot of snow is no problem for this machine but I'm a little tentative after tonight. I was not crawling along but didn't expect that I would have any problems with only a few inches of snow. Do you think I have too much weight with the cab and this ballast box? I've included a photo...had to modify my shed to make this puppy fit.

Attachments

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
As an owner of some larger blue tractors and a bX, it looks like a lot of stuff on that small machine. I'd add a set of chains on the rear wheels for a little more assurance of doing the job. I'd also not be in a big hurry to move fast into a deep wet snow, but experience will tell. Make with the RPM's in low range.

Any word as to why former owner sold it? That info might help in evaluating the situation.

Your shed door idea probably should be posted on other forums when ROP height questions come up and what can be done about it. Have fun.

Semma

Equipment
Jan 3, 2015
Shirley, MA, US
Thanks! Yes, the previous owner got a job out of town and he hired a landscaping company then consigned the machine back to the dealer. I did notice a low pitched squeal from time to time which seemed to be coming from forward when the blower was down. I went back out this morning to move some slush around and the machine seemed to act better. I'm going to do a double check on all fluids etc. thanks for the shed comment... I was going to make a transom window on a hinge, but ended up bolting the window frames to the doors. Goes in without folding down the rops. There are folks who seem to be pro or con about chains but nothing sticks to ice better.
Thanks!
Sal

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum.

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Play with your rpm and speed. I seem to blow at about 3.5mph. I have a bigger rig though. If you want to go faster, crank it up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I like the modification you made to your shed. I'm assuming that's because of the tall ROPS. Is your shed on a concrete slab foundation, or is that a wood subfloor?

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
You may already know this, but generally speaking, if the engine bogs down with the HST in high range, you need to let up on the pedal or give it more throttle... and if you're already at or near wide open throttle, you probably need to use low range.
Pushing harder on the pedal does not get you more power, it essentially moves to a higher gear ratio, offering you lower power. Power comes with higher rpm and lower ground speed.

Going up an incline, running a pto driven attachment, I'd certainly recommend low range.

The BX is pretty good at letting you know what it can and can't do.

Pete

andre53

Equipment
GR2120, 54" Mower, GR2728 Snowblower
Jun 30, 2012
East Aurora, NY
Hi Semma,
I have a very similar set-up on a GR2120 which is about 300 pounds lighter than the BX1870. I use 100 pounds of rear ballast (suitcase weights) mounted on a weight bar. The ballast weight is only 16-18" behind the centerline of the rear wheels.

Based on your picture with the location of your ballast box, I am thinking that you may have too much rear ballast, especially when the snowblower is down (riding on the ground).
Do you know what your ballast box weighs? How far behind the rear wheel centerline is the center of gravity of the ballast?

Good luck

Semma

Equipment
Jan 3, 2015
Shirley, MA, US
Thanks all. I know I'm a little late on this post but I ended up trading up to a bx2670 with FEL and a bx2755hd snowblower. So far I am happy with the extra hp. I figured that the wheels must have been spinning robbing hp from the snowblower. I also traded my old driveway for a 1400 foot driveway in the snowiest town in Massachusetts. I'm on the south side of a lake and I know that mount monadnock will be throwing snow from 20 miles north. I will let you know how it goes! The driveway has a long uphill section and I've decided to do my own sanding. I picked up a land pride fsp500 and I plan to add a vibrator to try to handle the wet sand/salt mix. If it doesn't work... I will try to find a snowex tailgate spreader. We shall see. Just in case... A set of rear tire chains.