New mx5800

Swampcollie

Equipment
Mx5800, la1065 loader, rcf2772 mower, blade, disc
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
hello everyone. I dealt on a mx5800 with 6 ft mower and fel 3 days ago. Delivery middle of next week.
I am an old guy and have spent some time on a tractor seat. I am replacing a 60 yr old jd. I have 60 acres with timber, duck lake, and house about 70 miles from my residence.
I have been gleaning over this site the last 3 days. You guys are awesome. Great site.
I will mostly mow trails through woods, around lake, clear brush, move fallen trees and whatever i can find to do with the fel. That is a new tool for me.
Diesel is new for me and the regeneration is a bit of a mystery but i have started on reading manual and got a lot from this site. Know i will have a ton of questions and hope i am able to contribute some.
Ok. First question. Due to diesel and regeneration. I see i am supposed to let it warm up yet idling is not a good thing.
So, start it then what rpm do i let it warm up at? Do i run it up to 2k rpm to move from point to point?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Welcome and I hope you enjoy your new tractor as much as I have mine. It was quite the jump I made from the Ford 8n to my L3560 too.

Your operator's manual is your friend, wear it out:eek: Some of the sections are confusing, and take several tries to figure out how they are organizing things. Once you get used to it the regen cycles are not a problem (except on some of the B3350's).

The rpm for warm up is about half the maximum rpm at wide open, and it should tell you the warm up rpm in your manual. How long you let it warm up depends on what you are going to do with it. I start it at idle, move it up to 1350, undo the electric fence and open a gate and then move it to where I am going to load manure carts into the bucket. I leave it at 1350 while I load it, and by then the temp gauge is close to its normal operating temp so I run it around in auto throttle which uses the whole rpm range. My model has a meter that shows the accumulation in the dpf filter, and that warm up will run up the particulates 2-4%.

The dpf will not accumulate much more if I then use it. It will go up if left idling, and it will go down if used for something like mowing. Other stuff like fiddling with the back blade going backwards and forwards will run it up slowly if using auto throttle. In my relatively gentle uses mine has regenerated about 6 times in 2 yrs and close to 200 hrs. It is a balance act, the thing is designed to regenerate, so you choose the rpm also taking into consideration safety and skilled use. In my opinion running it WOT all the time just to try to avoid regens is not practical. On the other hand the fuel efficiency at high rpms is better than in the older diesels, so use it as hard as you safely can.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Congratulations on your new tractor Swampcollie, I really can't offer anything better than what Sheepfarmer, your manual is your friend and I always get it before the tractor arrives and read it cover to cover a couple of times, then after I drive it, go back and read it again.

On some things, based on experience, I will go outside the recommended parameters on some things, but on others no way.

Be warned, it won't take long to discover a real need for more implements/attachments; trust me.

Swampcollie

Equipment
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
Thanks for the input, TripleR. Yeah i have the manual well ahead of projected delivery and have been reading it. Much more complex tractor than my old jd. Dealer also gave me a walkaround on it.
My biggest concern was how well it would handle the 6 ft mower. I go thru some pretty good stuff. The tractor is 60 gross and 50 pto hp. They have assured me it will handle it fine.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Thanks for the input, TripleR. Yeah i have the manual well ahead of projected delivery and have been reading it. Much more complex tractor than my old jd. Dealer also gave me a walkaround on it.
My biggest concern was how well it would handle the 6 ft mower. I go thru some pretty good stuff. The tractor is 60 gross and 50 pto hp. They have assured me it will handle it fine.
I too grew up on the old iron and our newest tractor was a Case 990 with power steering, wow, beat the old thumb breakers. When I started using a new 98 Case CX80 cab tractor with synchro shuttle, I had a heck of a time figuring out the "new" stuff. We later got a Kubota M8540 with hydraulic shuttle and later the Grand L, confusing as heck for this old man.

I run an LP 2672 on my L5740; same one I has with my L5030HSTC and you will have no issues with it a 6' on the MX5800, it would spin a 7', but I don't care for them.

Last edited:

Gil Williams

Equipment
BX2660 / MX5800 / MX5100 x 2 / M6060 / BX2360 / BX2670
Aug 10, 2016
Kelso TN
Last Saturday AM my new MX5800 got delivered and I am loving it! I'm certain you will be one very happy man!

Doctor481

Equipment
MX5200, loader, 6' bush hog, 6' land plane, lots of old farm tools
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
I purchased a MX5200 a couple weeks ago, have about 15 hours on it so far.
Quite a move up from the 2 old Farmall tractors that I grew up using (a Super A and a 140).
Those will be kept for a couple special projects, makes me feel closer to my deceased dad when using them. Great for our small garden.
Back to the MX, no regen's yet; I was also concerned about this, been through the manual several times. I have discovered many uses for the FEL; best so far is changing belts under my SCAG zt mower.
Have fun learning the 5800.

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
I got the MX5800 with the FEL, Grapple, and Backhoe. With all the rain we have had plus my having to be out of town for a week, I have been able to play (work?) with it a couple hours. It is a giant step up from my little BX, and I am always amazed by its capabilities.

Congratulations and enjoy your new toy!

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
You'll have no issues with the 6 ft mower. Anything smaller and it wouldn't cover the tire tracks.

The no idling thing is mostly about not leaving it idling while you're not doing anything with the tractor that requires it to be running. Sometimes you have to idle for a while, but when working try to keep the rpms up and keep it under load as much as you can.

Last edited:

Swampcollie

Equipment
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
Between what the dealer has said and reassured by you guys, I am becoming confident that I will be fine. Two more days till eta.

Doctor481

Equipment
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
Had my first regen at 15.2 hours while bush hogging.
Didn't notice any difference except for a "hot" smell.

Gil Williams

Equipment
BX2660 / MX5800 / MX5100 x 2 / M6060 / BX2360 / BX2670
Aug 10, 2016
Kelso TN
Spent 1.5 hours bush hogging this evening with my favorite heard of bucks watching me. 70* and clear skies this evening in Kelso, TN!

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Had my first regen at 15.2 hours while bush hogging.
Didn't notice any difference except for a "hot" smell.
My first was at 21 hours. I wasn't working it when it wanted to start and had to delay it a while, then cranked the rpms up and let it regen while moving stuff around with the pallet forks. Second regen was at 41 hours while mowing and I noticed the smell first with that one, but otherwise not noticeable. I thought mine might have been a bit more frequent than normal but yours at 15 hours tells me it must not be.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Congrats on the new tractor..you'll love it. Delivered this afternoon ? And still no photos posted here ?? Come on !

Doctor481

Equipment
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
My first was at 21 hours. I wasn't working it when it wanted to start and had to delay it a while, then cranked the rpms up and let it regen while moving stuff around with the pallet forks. Second regen was at 41 hours while mowing and I noticed the smell first with that one, but otherwise not noticeable. I thought mine might have been a bit more frequent than normal but yours at 15 hours tells me it must not be.
I have done a bunch of idle/near idle moving stuff around with the bucket. I read somewhere there is more soot generated at low rpm than higher.

Swampcollie

Equipment
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
Well i got it and i think im in love. Got a pic on my phone but no idea how to post it on here from my phone.