New member with a problem on L2900

DoubleR

Equipment
L2900
Dec 12, 2009
Trenton, NC
Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me. I have a L2900 that started leaking hydraulic oil out of the front drive shaft housing (or the tube that covers the front shaft) I parked it and nearly all the oil has drained out. Can anyone advise me what could cause this. Thank you

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I assume you mean the oil is lost from the transmission? If so the cause can only be a failed seal on the output shaft of the FWD drop box. Because these seals rarely fail catastrophically I suspect you may have failed bearings in there too. It is a very simple gearbox, completely removable from the bottom. Take it off as soon as possible and find out what has failed.
Ed

Last edited:

DoubleR

Equipment
L2900
Dec 12, 2009
Trenton, NC
Thank you eserv.
Yes it is the transmission oil that leaks out, the sight glass is now empty. I understand it is a seal problem and I found a parts break-down in pdf and it looks like the front drive shaft goes through the clutch housing and into the transmission. I counld not see how to access it from the bottom and it looks like it would need to be split. Am I wrong?
Thanks again

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I'm Sorry! I was thinking of an earlier tractor! On yours it might be as easy as a sleeve on that shaft having slipped forward out of the seal.
Remove the cover and the drive shaft to the front axle than find a pipe that will fit over that shaft into the clutch housing. have the pipe catch that sleeve and see if you can push it back into the seal. it is a metal sleeve with a rubberlike inside that seals it to the shaft. if you can push it back and stop the leak then make another sleeve to go in there long enough to touch that sleeve and come close to touching the splined collor on the drive shaft when it is all assembled. This will hold that inner sleeve in place. Hope this makes some sense to you!
If you cannot fix it this way you will have to split it.
Ed

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I'm going from memory on this one and I've looked at a lot of tractors since the last time I saw a L2900 so it may be faulty! I'll have a look in the parts book tomorrow when I get to work to jog the gray cells!

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I wonder if this will work!! Here is a service bulletin addressing this problem

SERVICE
BULLETIN No:
Series:
Fail Code:
Date:
Issued by: AG001 - 98
L-series
FA07
01/23/1998
Raymond Marmillod
National Service Manager

Subject: Oil Leak at the Front Axle Propeller Shaft Seal

Model(s): L2900, L3300, L3600, L4200 Tractors
Serial Ranges: L2900DT,GST
L3300DT,GST
L3600DT,GST
L4200DT,GST ~61866
~54019
~56733
~57185

Service Information:

We have received reports of transmission oil seepage into the clutch housing past the front axle propeller shaft seals (Item #f). This is caused by the sleeve (Item #d) moving out off position and causing the seals (Item #f) to leak.
To alleviate this problem, Kubota has designed a spacer (Item #1) that will prevent the sleeve
(Item #d) from moving out off its position.

Note: All tractors built after the S/N indicated above have the new spacer already factory installed.

Parts Information:SPACER AND O-RING KIT P/N TA040-98000

KIT CONTENT
ITEM # PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION QUANTITY
1 *TA040-14720 Spacer, Propeller Shaft 1
2 *TA040-82180 O-ring 2
3 *TA040-98010 Instruction Manual 1

ADDITIONAL PARTS TO ORDER IF NECESSARY
ITEM # PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION QUANTITY
a Propeller shaft cover
b Coupling
c Propeller shaft, front
d 53582-53520 Sleeve (Order only if needed) 1
e Spring pin
f 09500-25388 Oil seal (Order only if needed) 2
g Collar
h Ball bearing
i Propeller shaft
j Screw

Warranty Information:

Normal warranty apply to tractors within the standard warranty term.
Labor ROPS Tractors Labor Cab Tractors & L35
Code Description Hours Code Description Hours
TRMn-11 Steam clean for servicing 1.8 TRMn-11 Steam clean for servicing 1.8
TRCb-21 Front drive shaft assy, Rear side R/R 5.0 TRCb-21 Front drive shaft assy, Rear side R/R 8.6

* Install the spacer and o-ring repair kit only to tractor models indicated that are experiencing concerns with oil leakage at the propeller shaft.
* This repair is classified under failure code "FA07." Please state failure code "FA07" and service bulletin "AG01-98" under details of failure section on the warranty claim.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
If your tractor is earlier than sn 61866 it may not have the long spacer to hold the sleeve in place. The spacer is too long to be installed without removing the front axle. I think you could cut it in two though and install both pieces. unfortunately the picture didn't come through when I copied the service bulletin.

DoubleR

Equipment
L2900
Dec 12, 2009
Trenton, NC
Thank you eserv.
My serial number is in the 58000 series well below the numbers on the bulletin.
It will be the weekend before I can work on it but will let you know what I find.
Thank you very much.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The only way it will have that spacer sleeve is if a dealer installed it. If it isn't there that will most likely be your problem

DoubleR

Equipment
L2900
Dec 12, 2009
Trenton, NC
I ordered the spacer kit and it arrived today. It was easy to install and I could feel the sleeve when it slid back in. I have refilled the oil and the leak appears to be fixed. Once again I want to thank you ESERV (U DA MAN).

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
excellent! glad you got it fixed! Once again it was a simple repair. Though it should have been done years ago when the tractor was still on warranty!

Kene1023

Equipment
B7100, L4200DT, 5' bushog, 4'bushog 7' BB, 6' disks, single plow, 8' flail mower
Jan 5, 2010
Ocala, Florida, USA
While researching: Re: New member with a problem on L2900

Hey Guys,
Well I have this issue with a L4200 and did not find out about this till after I bought two new seals from my dealer and slid a seal remover hook in there to remove the old ones.
Now I have destroyed the old seals and still cannot get them out. Suggestions for removal?
or a good seal removal tool?
Ken