New member looking for bucket feedback

lacrosse50

Equipment
B2650, MMM, FEL with QA
Jul 19, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
I'm getting ready to purchase a 2650 with a FEL and MMM. For a bucket I'm leaning towards getting a 54" rather than a 60", but I wanted to break down my reasoning and see what the enlightened folks here thought!

My property is 22ac and includes 5ac cleared, 2ac overgrown field, and the rest is heavily wooded. And all with a large creek running through...large as in 60ft wide with plenty of large rocks.

My thinking is between the heavy woods and heavy rocks (some of which I have plans to rearrange) a slightly smaller bucket will be easier to maneuver. That all said, what's the internet opinion on smaller vs larger loader buckets? Am I going to kick myself later over the extra 6" (Corrected my math here)?

Last edited:

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I went with the 54" bucket and the 54" mmm for the same reasons.
same lift capacity on the bucket slightly easier to get around the trees.
slightly less cutting width again easier to get around.
works for me.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That all said, what's the internet opinion on smaller vs larger loader buckets? Am I going to kick myself later over the extra 8"?

I would go with the 54" also ...... yes the 60" is BIGGER - but it is rated as a "light duty" bucket. Great for getting more mulch in it, great for heaping pile of dirt, great for a little more gravel, but it does and will hang out there when running through the woods.

Those LARGER rocks and boulders will fit better in the bigger bucket...but then again, it will place more strain on the entire works too - bigger aint always better! I have a 48" bucket ....and 6" more inches would be nice ...SoMeTiMeS......but I'll stick with the 48 in my case.:D;)

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
60" for me, no question. Same construction, just wider. If you feel you need to stiffen it, get a tooth bar or cutting edge. I have an ATI toothbar and have no issue with large rocks/stumps. Most of the attachments purchased for a B2650 will be in the 5 foot range anyway....very difficult to find them in 54" width.

I had a BX23 (2006) model for a dozen years...hated the 4 foot bucket for anything but passing between fence posts.

My advice, get the 60".

also, don't know how you guys come up with 8" difference. My math tells me the difference is only 6" (60-54=6) :)

Last edited:

lacrosse50

Equipment
B2650, MMM, FEL with QA
Jul 19, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for all the replys so far, lots to think about! And dirtydeed you are correct sir, not sure what silly math I was using...but I corrected the first post so thanks for the catch.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Curious as to why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the width of your implements (bucket included) should be greater than or equal to your max tread width....helps when finish grading or pushing snow/dirt.

The bucket is also used to see if you can "fit" between obstacles. Generally, if the bucket fits thru, your tractor should as well. That is until you try to turn. :D

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
Just make sure the bucket fully covers the overall width of your tires.
I agree with Ramos to buy one that the bucket or mower fully covers the overall width of your tires. When one is using the mower, or bucket, next to a fence or wall this will save a lot of handwork. If you are worried about power of the mower or weight of a full bucket, just take a smaller swath or a smaller load.

Another thing, if one side of the tractor is higher than the other, which will be caused by a bucked that is shorter than the wheel base, it will be hard to keep a level ground surface on successive passes. The loader has no means of a cross-adjustment for this.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Curious as to why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeps the tires running at the same level as the bucket on longer, single run passes. Also, it will prevent you from leaving an undisturbed edge on your deeper cuts.

On Edit: Really does not matter if all you are doing is scooping from a pile.

On Edit, Edit: Got sidetracked before posting. I see the question was answered multiple times...LOL.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
the width of your implements (bucket included) should be greater than or equal to your max tread width....helps when finish grading or pushing snow/dirt.

The bucket is also used to see if you can "fit" between obstacles. Generally, if the bucket fits thru, your tractor should as well. That is until you try to turn. :d
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
You asked "Am I going to kick myself later over the extra 6"?" If you get the optional MECH 2 LVR QUICK COUPLER on FEL why not get both buckets, only takes a couple minutes to swap and would have no reason to kick yourself.