New Member from Northern Ontario, Canada here

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
Hello to everyone from up here in Northern Ontario, Canada, I own 100 acres and have just saved up enough to purchase a old L2850 Kubota c/w loader with 1200 hours on it.
Would have bought a new one, but the local dealer wouldn't sell me one with the amount of money I had to spend.

I have been reserching through the forum, and there's tons of helpful information here, especially since I haven't run a tractor since an old Ford 8N , 25 years ago.
Looking forward to picking everyone's brains.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Welcome to the ORANGE HOUSE,,lol,, It might take a bit of time for anything you ask but Im sure it will be answerd ,, Where inthe GWN are you??

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
WingNut: Welcome to the Kubota Talk. I to would like to know where you live Northen Ontario. I for many year ran a outfitting business in the fall for Geese and Ducks. We would go up the North Bay and then the next day go to Timmins where we would fly out of. We hunted between Moosonee and Attawapiskat. It was on the Albany River. Our camp was at Kashechewan.

If you are this far up you better put a Block Heater in the Kubota tractor. After thinking a little you need to do it where ever you are!!!!!!!!!

David Pidgeon
New Haven,
Vermont

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Would have bought a new one, but the local dealer wouldn't sell me one with the amount of money I had to spend.
That's allways a strange issue when you visit your dealer and negotiate the price. He want to have diamonds but we have only stones in the pocket... :D

Hope your little friend will please you well for the rest of your life!

And welcome to our great forum.

carl

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
Thanks for the warm welcome All
Hey Skeets, I am located approx. 30 miles N.W. of Sudbury, off the beaten track on a old abandoned farm from the early 1900's. Thank goodness not up in Attawapiskat (I've been there).
By the way there are so many geese now-a-days that there is no need to go any farther north to hunt them anymore, even getting a few sand hill cranes around. But still head up towards Timmins to go fishing on a regular basis.
'GunDoctor', the Tractor came with a block heater, however the hydro doesn't quite make it to my property, but I guess I could plug it into the old gen-set if I have to. I was hoping that by keeping the tractor inside a unheated implement shed, and by using the glow plugs, that it would start up in the winter. Is there anything else I need to do to improve the winter starting and running, aka can I use synthetic engine oil like 5W40 Diesel ? Anyhow we'll soon see, I probably wouldn't even try to start it below -30 C anyway.
Hey 'cabu' I wish we had your prices for tractors here, for some reason everything is cheaper in the U.S. than in Canada, I was very tempted to cross over into your country to buy one and haul it back, but a good deal came up on this old beast, but I have to redo almost all the wiring on it.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Hey 'cabu' I wish we had your prices for tractors here, for some reason everything is cheaper in the U.S. than in Canada, I was very tempted to cross over into your country to buy one and haul it back, but a good deal came up on this old beast, but I have to redo almost all the wiring on it.
:D As far as I know there is no crossover from Canada to my country...
And I don't think if, that you would find cheaper tractors here. And Kubotas are not easy to find anyhow and very very rare on the road in good old Germany!

Take care about your beast and it will be your best friend.

carl

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
opps
my mistake, didn't pick up on that 'Cabu'
But it wouldn't suprise me if they were alot cheaper in your country as well.
We Canadian's seem to get it put to us as far as prices go.
But that's okay, I actually wanted a Kubota that was the old type of gear drive, and simple to work on.

However I was willing to take a brand new if they wanted to give it to me.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Welcome to OTT! Your 2850 should serve you well for years and years! Definitely go for a block heater- even if you don't have a lot of trouble starting, it only causes pain to run them while the block is really cold...
You would be well served to put on a power outlet and consider an electric vest, or there is an electric "heated tractor seat" on ebay to consider, although it is yellow and says John Deere". I found out on motorcycles that if you heat your blood anywhere on your body, you can manage being warm all over.
My dealer just asked me how much I had to spend, and we went from there. Sure...

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
Thanks 'gpreuss' I agree, I have a block heater, its hydro that I am short of. can plug it in to the genset if I have to, but would rather not. I do realize that you let the diesel's warm up good before taking off.
We'll see how it goes as it gets progressively colder. Not to worried about meself as I don't mind the cold. May need to put a wood stove in the implement shed to warm things up.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Wingnut are you up around windy lake on 144?
We use to stop along there some place and grab a few hours sleep before going into Timmins and over to Cochrin to fish. Now a days I go more toward Longlac and Geraldton and Nakina in the Green Stone area,, I have some friends that have some friends and some times I can get on the res, not often but once in a while,, Theres lakes there where the fish aint never seen a white man,,,,

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
Thanks for the tip 'GunDoctor' I will definetly look into that, is it required even if you use winter diesel fuel ?
Can I run a lighter engine oil , like 5W40 Diesel Oil Synthetic ?

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
Hey 'Skeets', live west of there, towards the Soo, however know some people that that have a big shack on Windy Lake. Northern Ontario is all good fishing, and absolutely no end to the number of lakes you can get to, the more remote the better I like them.
Some of the lakes I have been on, I swear the fish have never seem a lure before. My son caught a Pickeral a little over 10 lbs within 10 minutes of fishing the last time up there, you don't go hungry while fishing there that's for sure.