New Kubota in my future?

Hans

Equipment
B6000
Aug 3, 2011
Everett, Wa
Well, I did a terrible thing. I went and took a good look at a new tractor last night...

I have a great little B6000 with a tiller, and was looking at adding an FEL for general farm work (manure, compost, lime, putting gravel on roads, etc) and snow removal at my place of employment. So, I could put a $2000 loader onto an old $2500 tractor and end up with an old $3500 tractor...

Or, I could go look at shiny new orange paint and see what the B series was going for now a days. But, if I got into an L series, I could actually plow the acreage myself (we run a large community vegetable garden that we plow and/or rototill 6-8 acres of our 10 every year) and mow the rest (again, hired out). Snow removal for local businesses in the winter would keep it employed a little more often. It doesn't snow much here, but when it does people pay big $$ to get their lots plowed. I already have one guaranteed customer in my employer (and free secure tractor storage as part of the deal).

So I look at the B's, and while the higher HP ones appear to have enough power to do the work, I just didn't like them as much as the new L3200/L3600. Those are what I think of when I think "farm tractor", so I skipped the B's and went straight over to the L's and took a ride on an L3200 with loader. Non-HST trans (I just like gear driven equipment better), but they have both available. It seemed like a good deal ($17,200 plus tax after all rebates, with loader) - I'd get the R4 tires for snow work, and buy a separate set of the Ag tires and wheels for between-the-row cultivating farm work (quoted $1338 for the extra set of wheels and tires).

My questions to you guys - is this a decent deal? Considering my intended usage, did I make a mistake skipping right over the B series and looking at the L's? I don't see that the higher-hp B's have a gear trans, only HST - is that right?
Also, on the L3200 it says the PTO is "Transmission driven with overrunning clutch", but he L3800 is "Live PTO with Overrunning". What is the practical difference there? Is the additional cubic inches and Higher HP at a lower RPM of the L3800 worth the extra $$ for what I plan on doing?

Not 100% sure I want to take the plunge - but that L3200 was sure sweet...
Thanks for taking the time to read this-

Hans

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Well, I did a terrible thing...
Looks like you got infected... :D

"Reasenable" is, what time you can afford to do the jobs. If it is your hobby then a small tractor will do the job of plowing and rototilling on 8 acres.
But if you just want to get the job done a bigger L would be more "convenient".
But you only need to do the "big job" only once a year...
You have not written what the difference in price it would be between a Bxxxx or that L3200.

And we know it all: choosing a new tractor is tricky ;)

der carl

Hans

Equipment
B6000
Aug 3, 2011
Everett, Wa
Carl,

I didn't even get a price on the B, other than an off-the cuff quote that seemed like it wasn't that much lower than the deal they're offering for the L3200. If I recall correctly, the 4WD was only available with an HST. The more I read on those, the more I think I could make it work for me, but I really do prefer a gear trans. I'll get a price on those as well. If I step down a size (and price range) into the B, but can maintain roughly the same HP and functionality with a little cash left over in my pocket, that wouldn't be a bad deal...

Hans

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I was casually looking at tractors while getting parts for our old Kubota. Got the bug and bought a L3800, 4wd, FEL, gear drive, 14 hours and 5' mower for $16k. I love the thing and also prefer gear drive. Dang nice tractor!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
For some reason, I have a soft spot for the B Series, but HATE 1/4 inching 3PH and to get that you are looking at the B3030/3000 and getting into the cost of a L3200 or so.

My preference is the GL, but the L are nice, basic, reasonably priced tractors.

As to the PTO, here is a helpful link.

http://www.tractordata.com/articles/technical/pto.html

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Go with the L serries as for the transmission I loved the direct drive also I grew up operating Caterpillar tractors on our ranch all had direct drive . I was talked into the HST and love the thing now would never have a direct trans with a FEL the HST is a dream. I work my tractors hard but dont abuse them and the HST hasnt been a problem .I feel the HST is as good as they come we even have a very simalar trans in our grain harvesters... Just one mans opinion

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
When in doubt GO BIGGER. I'd say the L3800 sounds better suited for your needs. The L3800 has the live PTO which stays running while you change direction, the transmision driven PTO on the L3200 cuts in and out and you change direction. The tranny PTO engages when you let the clutch out. And the over running pto is standard on both as a safty feature built in so lets say if your bush hogging a down hill slope the RPM's of the hog wont get away from you and push you down the hill. That was a big issue back in the day with old tractors such as a Ford 8N

Hans

Equipment
B6000
Aug 3, 2011
Everett, Wa
I was casually looking at tractors while getting parts for our old Kubota. Got the bug and bought a L3800, 4wd, FEL, gear drive, 14 hours and 5' mower for $16k. I love the thing and also prefer gear drive. Dang nice tractor!
Wow - that is a deal I'd jump on. PM sent-

Hans

Equipment
B6000
Aug 3, 2011
Everett, Wa
Really appreciate the thoughts, fellas.

Since I expect that most of the tractor's hours will be spent pulling things across the field, I don't really know if the HST will give me the benefit that a lot of you guys see in it for majority FEL work. Any of you guys primarily do field work with your HST tractor? Do you ever wish you had a gear-drive (along the extra $1000 you didn't have to spend)?
With the snow removal component (high production = $$) and the live PTO that comes with the HST, I'm starting to think that might be a compromise I'm willing to make...

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Hans, PM replied to.

Just to be clear, my L3800 was used, but like new (14 hours) :D

I saved $4k over the package deal w/trailer and box blade, wich I didn't really need.

Nothing wrong with HST, our old L3750 has it and it's great for FEL work and tight mowing areas.

But I prefer gear drive and Really like the live PTO w/two stage clutch.

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
The L3800 has the live PTO which stays running while you change direction, the transmision driven PTO on the L3200 cuts in and out and you change direction. The tranny PTO engages when you let the clutch out.
This is only in the case of the manual gearbox correct?

With HST doesnt it keep running as there is no Clutch release?

I'm 99% leanign toward the L3200 package, but darn sure want a full time PTO.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I have a 2006 L3830 HST and do alot of direct pulling with it , I dry land farm in So Calif . I pull springtooth , drag ( spike tooth harrow) , disc and a 2 bottom plow there are photos of my L3830 in the gallery. I never once wished I had bought a direct drive . Another thing you may want to consider is if your going to use a brush hog witch I do you can keep the rpms at what they should be running and adjust your speed at the same time you will not be able to do this with a direct drive as easy. I mow brush and cut safflower on the hilly areas of the ranch thats when it realy comes in handy. I have 868 hours on my L3830 and no problems....Dan

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama

Hans

Equipment
B6000
Aug 3, 2011
Everett, Wa
after some searching, According to Kubota's spec page for the L3200.

http://www.kubota.com/product/L3200/pdf/l_series_spec.pdf

An L3200 with HST has, "Live Continuos running PTO"

I'm going back to dealer today to make final decision and will make sure of this.

If I am forced to go higher, I'll go with the L3240 vs the L3800.

The HST model does indeed have a live, continuous running PTO in both the L3200 and L3800. The gear drive trans that I was referring to does not have a provision for it in the L3200, however. I believe Eric was responding to my initial question - and he gave the correct answer for that. In the L3800, per Bluegill's excellent description, there is a two-stage clutch that allows live PTO operation.

In the case of the tractor you're looking at, the L3200 HST, there is indeed a live PTO.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
after some searching, According to Kubota's spec page for the L3200.

http://www.kubota.com/product/L3200/pdf/l_series_spec.pdf

An L3200 with HST has, "Live Continuos running PTO"

I'm going back to dealer today to make final decision and will make sure of this.

If I am forced to go higher, I'll go with the L3240 vs the L3800.
After looking at the L and GL, my preference is the GL which among other things has an independent PTO.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I looked at the GL, but a bit out of my price range and more extras than I wanted.

I really like the simplicity of the L3800 gear drive.

Guess that's why they make em fancy or plain... :D

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I looked at the GL, but a bit out of my price range and more extras than I wanted.

I really like the simplicity of the L3800 gear drive.

Guess that's why they make em fancy or plain... :D
Nothing wrong with simple, I just don't like the exposed steering linkage, jerky 3PH and operator platform on the L Series; different folks/different strokes.:)

My brother was going to buy a L3800, but we just moved our MF375 out there and he is now a happy guy; I got to the point where using a clutch isn't practical for me.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Nothing wrong with simple, I just don't like the exposed steering linkage, jerky 3PH and operator platform on the L Series; different folks/different strokes.:)

My brother was going to buy a L3800, but we just moved our MF375 out there and he is now a happy guy; I got to the point where using a clutch isn't practical for me.
Yeah, nothing wrong with fancy either. :D

I haven't notice the jerky 3PH, mine seems pretty smooth. But the exposed steering linkage is a concern. Our old 3750 has the same type steering though and haven't torn it up yet. Just got to watch out for stumps and big rocks. Operator platform fits me well also.:)

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Yeah, nothing wrong with fancy either. :D

I haven't notice the jerky 3PH, mine seems pretty smooth. But the exposed steering linkage is a concern. Our old 3750 has the same type steering though and haven't torn it up yet. Just got to watch out for stumps and big rocks. Operator platform fits me well also.:)
Yours might not be jerky, but most people report this problem on the L Series, You Tube has several examples. Our old MF375 had this issue as did one of our Fords and we just learned to live with it. I prefer the smooth lifting 3PH on our last new tractors, but having grown up farming with old Fords, anything that goes up at all within a reasonable period of time is nice.

I can almost guarantee I would bend those exposed rods, so I had to take a pass.

My wife and I actually went to buy an L3400/L3700 until we got on one and really didn't like the way the operator platform fit us and especially the center hump, but there again different folks/different strokes. I think our age played a significant part in it as I had driven the MF375 since it was bought new in 1986 and liked it; talk about a "hump" in the middle.:(

Turns out "we" decided to go with a cab unit, so that was the end of that anyway.