New Kubota BX2360 - Big problem... (help please!)

Snarf77

Equipment
BX2360 FEL
Jan 1, 2012
Baldwin, MD
First post but Ive been lurking a while. I just bought a new BX2360 with a Mower, FEL, and ballast box. I was putting it to good use today, moving gravel, some rocks, dirt, etc.

I stopped the tractor on a down angle with the front tires perhaps 12 inches lower than the rear, with the FEL up about half way and the 3 point up about half way. I turned off the tractor to move some rocks. I got back on about 5 minutes later and the tractor won't stay running when starting it. It will start, albeit barely, but then sputter out and die almost immediately.

I read through the forums as best i could but i couldn't find any thread that seemed to mimic my problem. Its like the Kubota is flooded and won't clear itself out and run. It barely starts at the lowest throttle position, and only after 10 tries. More smoke and vibration than a normal startup too. It has no problem engaging the starter, but won't run and when it does, its feeble.

I dont' know much about diesels truthfully. its acting like a flooded lawnmower or 4 cylinder engine running on 2-3 cylinders. But diesel engines don't flood. Could oil have hydrolocked the engine? If it did, then why does it run at all?

Things I've tried before starting:
1. Fooling with all levers to ensure nothing is engaged (e.g. PTO) etc.
2. Tried putting the HST in neutral b/t slow and fast
3. Took it out of 4wd
4. put extra pressure on the seat to ensure it wasn't the safety switch.
5. Tried to start it in park, and in drive.
6. tried starting at every conceivable throttle position
7. Letting it cool down all the way and starting from cold
8. locking out the hydraulics before start

I realize nothing above will likely help much in the diagnosis. Here is the only thing I can think that may be a clue. I did manage to get it started and running ONE time and SLOWLY worked the throttle up to near full. Then i managed to move a bit, and get out of the ditch to a less extreme angle. A few moments later I dropped the FEL quickly towards the lowest position and BAM, the tractor died.

And my new tractor is stuck in the woods 1/4 mile from the house with a battery that must be aching from use! AhhhhhhhH! I took the ATV down and strapped a tarp over the top as rain is forecast.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Check your fuel level, check your fuse or listen for the electric fuel pump to be running. It is located under the operators floor below the battery. Open your hood and see if the fuel shut off solanoid is returning to the run position. Your not getting enough fuel to the injection pump.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
How much fuel is in the tank? Sounds to me like the pickup came uncovered long enough to suck an air bubble into the lines. Just a guess.

If you've got the ability to tow it out of the woods and back to your shed/house I'd do it and then throw it on a battery charger. If not I'd definitely grab the battery out of it and throw it on a charger. Try bleeding it and see if that doesn't do it.

Snarf77

Equipment
BX2360 FEL
Jan 1, 2012
Baldwin, MD
The fuel tank is full (all the way). I can try the suggestions tomorrow.

Unfortunately (and the main source of my stress) is that I cannot tow it home - its an ATV trail and i don't have another tractor to pull it with. My ATV can't pull it up the hill and its not truck accessible.

I'm going to keep track of everything suggested, and try to go down and do it all at once. I may be FUBAR'd as I don't know squat about this tractor yet as I expected it to run for at least a few hours before a breakdown. I have no clue on how to bleed the fuel system but by golly i'll try to learn tonight.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Fuel supply is on the lower LH front corner of the fuel tank thru a filter then a couple inches straight into electric fuel pump. Bleeding is done by turning on the key to the run position(turns on fuel pump) and waiting 30 seconds, glow it, crank it and drive it.

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
What color is the smoke?

You should be able to rule out your safety swithces as a problem because if a switch isn't happy then the starter will not engage.

In addition to fuel, you need air for the engine to run. Check your air filter to be sure that it's nice and clean.

The following article from the OTT archives describes the fuel bleeding procedure. Make sure that you bleed all the way to the top of the injectors. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/11/how-to-bleed-kubota-fuelinjector-lines/

kyfred

Equipment
M5030SU 4WD
Dec 20, 2010
Northern KY
Possibly water in the fuel also.Its not uncommon to get a dose of bad fuel from gas stations. I would drain some fuel if possible or take fuel filter off and pour it into something so you can see if you have any water in the fuel if so change fuel filter and put something like power service or something similar in the fuel tank to help get water out. If it is bad enough you may have to drain the fuel tank. If you find you have bad fuel you might have to change the fuel filter a couple of times to get the stuff out of your fuel system even after you get it running.

Snarf77

Equipment
BX2360 FEL
Jan 1, 2012
Baldwin, MD
What color is the smoke?

You should be able to rule out your safety swithces as a problem because if a switch isn't happy then the starter will not engage.

In addition to fuel, you need air for the engine to run. Check your air filter to be sure that it's nice and clean.

The following article from the OTT archives describes the fuel bleeding procedure. Make sure that you bleed all the way to the top of the injectors. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/11/how-to-bleed-kubota-fuelinjector-lines/

That is a BRILLIANT video - I'm going to try this first thing in the morning and see if i can get her started. I REALLY hope thats it.

DickSnyder

Equipment
L185DT,L1200 FEL, Rear blade,Woods RCC42
Jul 29, 2011
Mt. Hood Parkdale, Oregon
All sounds like great advice, but think my first call would be to the dealer. If its new, thinking you must have some issue THEY need to take care of, just saying....

kyfred

Equipment
M5030SU 4WD
Dec 20, 2010
Northern KY
I will agree with that. If it is still new and under warranty. Don't do anything until you check with the dealer. It might be the dealers baby to get going free to you. Don't do anything to void your warranty.

I don't have any equipment new enough to have a warranty. Checking with the dealer didn't enter my mind. LOL

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
You say the tank is full. That probably means that you just recently filled it.

Could it be possible that it was filled with straight gasoline rather than diesel? Some of the symptoms sound like it. You might be able to tell from the odor.

Just a dumb question (don't ask me how I thought of it).

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
You say the tank is full. That probably means that you just recently filled it.

Could it be possible that it was filled with straight gasoline rather than diesel? Some of the symptoms sound like it. You might be able to tell from the odor.

Just a dumb question (don't ask me how I thought of it).
You must know one of my sons; diesel in a gas burner doesn't work well either.

Snarf77

Equipment
BX2360 FEL
Jan 1, 2012
Baldwin, MD
I got it running and drove it home. Yes, it had diesel in it, no gas!

I had to disconnect the injectors at the engine and run it for some time before it bubbled out fuel. Basically did as the video instructed. The first time it started and ran 30 seconds and then died again. Repeated the procedure and I ran it for 30 minutes (1/4 mile home plus around property) testing all functions. Seems ok but I called the dealer and they are going to pick it up this week and go through the fuel system to determine why it may have lost prime, or why it may be losing prime. I have some towels under the tractor to see if I can catch a fuel drip anywhere in case there is a bad line, a crack, bad fitting, etc. No indications thus far.

Thanks for the advice all who contributed. I want the tractor 100% before I go running off miles down ATV trails doing maintenance!