New guy

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Been lurking for a while, first time to post a thread. I wanted to say "thanks" for all the great info, and opinions, on here. I've been reading a lot here lately on the forum. I grew up around Kubotas and know they are a capable/reliable machine.
I'm supposed to go look at a 2015 L3200 2WD, no FEL, 54hrs, rototiller(2015), and a 5' finish mower for $10K. This is an individual, not a dealer. From my research, this seems like a good price for all. Opinions?
We have 8 acres, 4 acres wooded. Want a fairly large garden, mowing a two acre field, road maintenance, other chores.
A FEL would be great, especially if it was a 4wd. But I can manage without one.

Again, great forum and thanks for all the help!!

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Welcome to the gang! We all started somewhere. Mine was a Ford 8N. I then found a FEL for it and thought I was in heaven.. Next was a L245DT FEL and 4WD and thought that was it. Today looking back we just made do. I realize the implements are important however, you will trade up soon. If it doesn't meet all or most of your expectations you will soon hunger for something else. 10K buys a lot.

2 cents.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You asked for opinions. For 10K I would keep looking and find something with a loader and 4x4. Pretty easy to find. Might cost a road trip or $500 to have it trucked to you.

You describe your property and think you don't need a loader or 4 wheel drive. You don't!! But after you use that tractor of a couple of years you'll be looking, and wishing.

Take your time and find it now!

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum Bulldog. We are happy that you decided to join with us. I could not make it without a FEL but if all you are going to use it for is Ag then it may be ok.
We really like pictures here so post some from time to time please.

Fractal

Equipment
L2501
Dec 27, 2016
Billings, Mt
After having an 8n, with an FEL, and going to the 4wd, don't waste your time with 2wd, it is night and day difference. it is the difference between being able to do some work, or a lot of work! Just my opinion, but based on experience. Welcome!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
After having an 8n, with an FEL, and going to the 4wd, don't waste your time with 2wd, it is night and day difference. it is the difference between being able to do some work, or a lot of work! Just my opinion, but based on experience. Welcome!
I would agree with the above statement! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you are just gonna cut grass - 2wd will be fine.....otherwise - you are gonna need the 4wd !!!:)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I can't imagine not having 4wd especially on that size tractor. They are so light in the rear 4wd is about a must. As far as a loader goes it's as valuable as the tractor itself. May cost a few extra dollars but in the long run it will be worth every penny.

That said, you know what you plan to use it for and from the pic it's a nice looking machine.

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
A tractor is only an implement platform. It is the attachments and implements that give a tractor its value. If you are happy with only a tiller and mower, then that's what matters. I think most of us value our ability to dig, lift, grapple, and fork heavy items around.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
I had a customer insist on buying an L3200F with a loader. They have kicked themselves for making that decision!

FYI 2014 was the last year for that tractor. We finally sold our last one in 2016.

Pat

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
A 2WD without a FEL can be useful, we have four, but if I had only one, it would be a 4WD with FEL.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Welcome. I have a B2320 with 4wd , FEL, box blade and 60" PTO finish mower. There are many times I need the 4wd on my property just to mow: When it's a bit wet, when I am down one of the many hills (Ozarks). It is invaluable when using both the box blade and FEL May I suggest you look around on Tractorhouse.com for some ideas on equipment pricing? That's where I started before making my deal.
Good luck to you.

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
Hey Missouribound we must be neighbors. I got the BX25D1 and I too am finding the need for 4WD and also the locker pedal. I can dig and push dirt much better using both. I am prepping my property now for Spring and summer cutting so I can use the 4 ft cutter along fence lines and down into my washes/hallows.

There are limits and since I wanted a small tractors I hired out a brush clearing company for the heavy stuff. I could have gotten it done myself but it would have taken a month and a lot of work. They were done clearing about an acre around my pond in 6 hours. 40-50 trees ground or plucked. Then I went in with the little tractor and did the finish work of sloping the driveway edges and dumping excess dirt along the pond. In a few years we should be just mowing and I hope to use a 60 inch 3pt mower for that.

I could have gotten a much bigger tractor but I got a smaller one with a BH so today I can do what needs done and tomorrow it will still be able to do what is needed without having a huge investment. Buy what you need now and later. Hiring out or renting the big equipment for a few jobs and still having a tractor that works everyday saves money for hunting and stuff.

KubotaVet

Equipment
1942 9N, B2650/Cab
Jan 16, 2017
Northern Minnesota
If all you want to do with it is run 3PH implements then I would throw some suitcase weights on the front (to help with steering) and run with it. But if you think you could really use a FEL or any of the front-end attachments, then look elsewhere. A 2wd tractor is limited in its work utility but can do an admirable job for what it was intended.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Dittos to the 4WD as a necessity.

I have a fairly flat piece of property and run in 2WD most of the time but when my loader gets full, I get stuck all the time nose down, even in the dry. Forget operating in anything slightly wet. 4WD gets me out each time. Some time I have to run 4WD all the time. If you have a loader, 4WD is a must --unless you are only hauling hay bales in OK.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't even know why anybody makes a 2wd tractor any more. We got by for years with nothing but 2wd but it was just that, getting by. Having 4wd in some cases is the difference in getting a job done or not even doing the job at all.

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
I don't even know why anybody makes a 2wd tractor any more. We got by for years with nothing but 2wd but it was just that, getting by. Having 4wd in some cases is the difference in getting a job done or not even doing the job at all.
They make 2wd for poor folks like me. :p. I agree with the getting by statement, we ran 2wd tractors for years. I also agree the 4wd is the way to go, but adding another 6 K to the price is just a little more than I wanted to bite off at this time.
I bought the two wheel drive after I talked to an equipment dealer. With the implements I got, I can get my money back on the tractor more than likely. Meanwhile, I can mow my pasture, cut some ditches, fix my road, and plow my gardens. And if I'm blessed, I'll sell, or trade, my 2wd in later when I can buy what I want, and not what I can afford. ;)
W ants
H ighly
E xceed
W allet
I will be adding some suitcase weights before long, riding wheelies is more fun on a motorcycle. :eek:

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
They make 2wd for poor folks like me.
Not just poor folks....if you don't need it why get it? I'm thinking you work fairly flat land there in The Lone Star State so 4WD may not be as necessary as it is here in the Ozarks. We have hills that require 4WD in some circumstances while you may not. Besides, you can always get one at a later date if you find the need.