New Guy here with B2150... MFWD noise

sscooter

Equipment
b2150, g2000
Sep 18, 2016
east metro, mn, usa
hi Guys.

I'm a long time Kubota fan, and owner of a G2000 garden tractor. The little machine has been bomb proof and I know how durable/reliable a properly maintained Kubota can be.

I have a few questions however about a B2150 HST (mfwd) I recently purchased to do some chores.

I knew the throw-out bearing for the clutch was noisy and had filled my head with interweb knowledge prior to purchasing machine. I can live with that for a while as rarely, if ever do I find a need to switch between lo,mid,hi on the transmission. It spends, and will spend most of it's time in Mid.

Anyways, my Main Question surrounds the MFWD. It now wants to jump out of 4wd. :(.

I also notice more "noise" than I think should be there while in 4wd. Like Growly Gear or bearing Noises. Just sounds like something is working harder than it should.

Tire sizes are correct/stock, trans/hydro oil is clean and at the proper level.

It also seems to make more "gear" noise while in 2wd while going down a hill with your foot off of the pedal (coasting/engine braking). The downhill noise is not bad (scary sounding), and might be normal, but I have never owned a Kubota Compact before. The hydro trans works perfectly and is one of the quietest (as far as "whine goes") I have ever heard....so that's good.

Any ideas on where to start with the 4wd noise?, and jumping out of gear?

Thanks in advance.

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
I would pull all power train related drain plugs and drain just a wee bit of fluid from all compartments paying close attention to if there are pieces or chunks that come out. Use a clean container to catch the fluid so you can see if there is a lot of metal in it too.
Wouldn't hurt to just drain the hyd system and pull the sump screen and see what is in it as well.
Mine has a front diff input seal leaking so I need to reseal that but the front diff was near empty when I bought it but I caught it soon enough before damage occurred.
As far as jumping out of 4X4 may be just an adjustment.

sscooter

Equipment
b2150, g2000
Sep 18, 2016
east metro, mn, usa
w&f...thanks for the reply.

I looked in the manual and on the tractor itself and there are no obvious (external) adjustments for the 4wd lever. It's either in, or it's not.

I've even gone as far as trying to lightly hold it in 4wd using my hand, and if you pick up speed, it will jump out overpowering the force of your hand. Going slowly (low range), it doesn't do it, but in Mid range, it will jump out.

I'll probably pull the front drive shaft to see if the noise remains (sound travels though machines sometimes and it can be tough to pinpoint noises)

As for draining and looking at fluids.. Yep, that is on the list as well.

Since I see that you also have a B2150, does your make a bit of "mechanical" noise on downhill (engine braking)?

thanks again. I promise to keep everyone posted on what I find as I dig in deeper. Maybe it will help the next guy out.

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
I run mine in mid range 90% of the time as well and it is in 4x4 most of the time and I do not notice any gear train whine just the usual hydrostatic sounds.
I will look at the manual too when I get a chance and see if I can tell why it would want to jump out of 4x4.

Last edited: