New guy around here with an RTV 900 issue

Ster1

Equipment
RTV 900
Jan 6, 2024
Denver, co
Hi folks, my name is Pete and I live and work just outside of Denver, CO. I have an RTV900 with a D902 that's acting strange. The machine is operating at about 8-9K feet. On the flat, she goes just fine. Up a grade, even in low gear, the engine will bog with my foot pushing all the way to the stop. The wierd thing (and why I'm here), is in that situation, if I let up on the pedal, power comes back, I can get up the hill, and all is well. I see no smoke at all during any of this. The fact that I see no smoke is confusing. A laboring engine should generate some. This machine has been to a local dealer who has said that I just need to "find the sweet spot" in the pedal travel and keep it there. I don't think that sounds right. I'm thinking timing issue or possibly governor? Any and all thoughts appreciated! Thank you.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So - you are in LOW gear when going up the hill. What the dealer is trying to say is that the hydraulic "pedal" is more about giving it a little less rather than all at once. Unlike a gas pedal - this just moves hydraulic fluid and too much will make it bog down.

But I am not sure that is the problem - thus I repeated you are in low gear, in high gear climbing a hill, this would be normal.

Have you checked the diesel flow through the filter(s)? Have you changed the fuel filter lately?

This youtube video describes your problem well - not sure it is the perfect fix however.

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
Have you had the machine a while and this just started happening? If so, then I would suspect something is wrong.

If you just got the machine, that (having to let up on the pedal a bit to let the engine recover) seems to be commonly mentioned. The speed pedal is not like a gas throttle. It controls the HST drive and the engine throttle then responds to the increased power demand.

Messicks has a video on a "hand throttle" accessory and mentions high altitude applications

Ster1

Equipment
RTV 900
Jan 6, 2024
Denver, co
Thanks guys! I didn't know this was HST. All this is making sense. I'm helping out a friend, and haven't picked it up yet; I'm going to grab it next week. If I know the guy at all, the filters are ancient and clogged, so I'm going to start with fluids and filters and see how we do.

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
I found this video where the guy cleans out the spark arrestor / muffler (along with changing the hydraulic filters). (Title is a bit "click bait"y.) I wouldn't have thought of that and looked it up in th e operators manual and its supposed to be done every 100 hrs.

Ster1

Equipment
RTV 900
Jan 6, 2024
Denver, co

It was a little tough getting that tamper cover off the screw, but I got it done. I noticed an increase in power, but that engine only has 20-ish HP to work with. I also installed a coast valve, removed the damper on the throttle linkage, and let out the return spring as far as I could. Pedal feel is much better. Thanks all!