New Flail Mower coming today

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Old Dominion called yesterday, making delivery today to the closest branch where I work :)
I went with the WoodMaxx FM-62H. Looked like there were more robust units but I really couldn't justify spending any more for my intended uses. The hydraulic shift will be more than useful for me.
I'll try to do a photo story of my experiences with it from uncrating to 1st uses.
One nit that bugged me already. I watched the video they had on line of it. In it they mentioned free shipping. It wasn't until a couple days after I ordered it (last week) that I saw they addded $250 for shipping on the invoice. I intend to call and ask about that.

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Congrats on the new implement.

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Looking forward to your reviews.
Did you get hammer or y blades?
I have been considering the FM-78H.
Old Dominion called yesterday, making delivery today to the closest branch where I work :)
I went with the WoodMaxx FM-62H. Looked like there were more robust units but I really couldn't justify spending any more for my intended uses. The hydraulic shift will be more than useful for me.
I'll try to do a photo story of my experiences with it from uncrating to 1st uses.
One nit that bugged me already. I watched the video they had on line of it. In it they mentioned free shipping. It wasn't until a couple days after I ordered it (last week) that I saw they addded $250 for shipping on the invoice. I intend to call and ask about that.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, when I purchased my MX 8500G+ chipper from them this spring, the price included shipping. However, now they list a shipping charge, but there is a new lower price on the chipper. The new price plus the shipping charge is the same as what I paid.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Looking forward to your reviews.
Did you get hammer or y blades?
I have been considering the FM-78H.
I wanted the hammers but backordered :(
For my immediate use of cleaning up the sides of the driveway the y blades will be fine.

I am pretty sure I will be ordering in a set of hammers when I start clearing the woods.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I have the same model with Y-blades, which are fantastic for the brush that we get here in western Oregon. I’d try them for a bit before jumping on a set of hammers. I was more impressed with them in heavy brush/light wood than I anticipated.

Congrats on the new piece, you’re gonna love it!

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have the same model with Y-blades, which are fantastic for the brush that we get here in western Oregon. I’d try them for a bit before jumping on a set of hammers. I was more impressed with them in heavy brush/light wood than I anticipated.

Thank you for you comments Chad D. Just unloaded it about an hour ago :)

unloaded 20230828_140839.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Oooohhhhh, pretty!!!

please share a photo of your rear remote assembly on that back fender…. I always like to see how folks put their stuff together.
shots during install - material from Brian at Fit Rite

20201209_194933_resized.jpg

20201209_195315_resized.jpg

Last edited:

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
OK, 1st impressions as I begin to unpack it in the basement.

It's crated super well with an angle iron frame. The 5/8" bolts that hold everything together were put on by the same guy that puts oil filters and drain plugs on at the Kubota factory. Must have used an serious impact wrench. I have one nut that has rounded corners but was able to get it off.

I think the frame is going to make a nifty storage unit for the mower once I put casters on it.

I have about an hour in so far uncrating it with hand tools. No doubt it would have gone faster with an impact wrench but I only have an air one and haven't set up the compressor yet at this house.

Fit n finish look good so far and a really nice pto shaft with a clutch was provided.
20230828_203336.jpg

20230828_204848.jpg

20230828_205100.jpg

more tomorrow - I'm officially old now, turned 77 yesterday, so I need my sleep :)

Reactions: 6 users

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota

Can you give me more details? What size of woody stuff will the Woodmaaxx YBlades handle? How would they work on old tomato plants? One or 2 year old saplings hiding in the grass? Actual brush? How big have you done? I’ve been holding out for a hammer model, but most of my cutting would be pasture (&and I would hold onto my old bush hog &could use that on bigger stuff). I ran a hammer flail at my dad’s this summer and the cut on actual grass wasn’t that bad.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Can you give me more details? What size of woody stuff will the Woodmaaxx YBlades handle? How would they work on old tomato plants? One or 2 year old saplings hiding in the grass? Actual brush? How big have you done? I’ve been holding out for a hammer model, but most of my cutting would be pasture (&and I would hold onto my old bush hog &could use that on bigger stuff). I ran a hammer flail at my dad’s this summer and the cut on actual grass wasn’t that bad.
I mow field grass as high as my hood with no trouble.

I mow blackberries that have stalks up to 1.5” in diameter with no trouble. Actually easier than grass. Turns berry brush into a mulch…

Saplings, woody debris up to 2” gets chewed up in rapid fashion. Worst case, it gets slapped around I’m under the mower for a few seconds and I lift up to kick it out.

If I were routinely mowing heavy and woody stuff, I’d go hammers. For the rest of my needs and the occasional woody material, the Y-blades are killing it.

For your described needs of pasture mowing with some saplings, I’d absolutely go Y-blades. Especially since you have the bush hog on hand for nasty stuff. The cut quality on my field (like a pasture) is between a finish mower and a bush hog.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Finished uncrating and assembling the mower this am. There is a note included that the operating manual is available online, no printed version provided. Not important to me as I keep all my manuals in digital format and can usually never find a printed manual anyway :(

I did miss a couple of bolts holding the mower to the crate.

I lifted the mower out of the unbolted crate and then mounted it to the 3pt. It surprised me how heavy it seemed once mounted. Everything went very smoothly. I put a Euro ball on the top link pin to match my 3pt setup.

I have 2 male hydraulic fittings (none included with the mower) but of course can't find any pipe dope or teflon. I felt guilty ordering 2 little items from the company I work for but I know 6:30 tomorrow morning a 20 ft box truck will be in my driveway with them :)

Moving is such a pia, I'm surprise how easily I found the hydraulic fittings. No love for my Rectorseal or teflon though.

Next steps are to fill the gearbox with oil and cut the pto shaft. With any luck I will do that tonight. Of course forcast is for rain tomorrow so 1st use will have to wait :(

20230829_133334.jpg

20230829_151148.jpg

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Are you sure there is not a manual in that black tube (above the FM62H)? Seems like they would save the money for that part if they aren’t using it for storing the manual.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Where did you get the colored hydraulic coupling covers? What type of hydraulic couplings do you have?

Nate77

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 5, 2023
Indiana
Are you sure there is not a manual in that black tube (above the FM62H)? Seems like they would save the money for that part if they aren’t using it for storing the manual.
Manual was in the tube on mine, not model specific, covers the entire flail line.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
:)
I just found a sheet of paper in that black document holder. It has QR codes on it! I didn't notice it before because the included hardware bag had pushed it to the bottom :(
just a note, the QR codes didn't work. I did find the assembly manual on their website.

Last edited:

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Where did you get the colored hydraulic coupling covers? What type of hydraulic couplings do you have?
They may have come from Fit Rite when I got my tnt kit or perhaps Trausch??? Not sure, its been a while. They are ag style.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Finished up the assembly and checkout of all the nuts and bolts this morning. Started it up in the garage and promptly stalled the tractor when I engaged the pto. WoodMaxx tells you to slowly let out clutch but what they should have said was Very slowly let out the clutch :) That drum has a LOT of mass.

Frankly uncrating it was a bigger job than assembly. As I said previously an impact wrench would have made that process a lot faster. Right after I finished assembling it the rain stopped . . .

A few hours later. . . first use for it is along my driveway, part of which I share with a neighbor. The sides slope off a lot and there are dropoffs along the way in several areas. The mower worked like a champ! There was nothing larger than 1" that I cut through. Having a TNT is a major plus!

My only disappointment is the hydraulic offeset reach. My own fault. I thought about going for the 74" model instead of the 62" to get further sideway reach. I was concerned about maneuverability in the woods, my main purpose for the mower, and to a lesser degree the additional weight. My 3" rear spacers are the issue. The 62" really is the right choice all things considered.

We have this overgrowth on both sides of the driveway. It's a combination of just about everything - saplings, vines, bushes etc.

Here are some pix from today.

Before:
20230830_150749.jpg

after:
20230830_162825.jpg

I have 3 rear remotes. I use 2 for the TNT and one for the grapple. In this pix you can see how I simply umplugged the grapple lines and plugged in the offset lines for the flail.
20230830_164515.jpg