New BX25 owner: Grapple available?

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
$600 seems kind of steep for a 3rd function hydraulic kit.
Isn't it just some plumbing and a switch?

I wonder if there are 3rd party alternatives to this.
Yes there are 3rd party alternatives, not sure that isn't what he has. $600 sounds like a VERY GOOD price to me.

Yep, that's all, just a couple of plumbing fitting, some hoses, a bulkhead bracket, (if supplied) valve, quick connect couplers, a switch that can run from $40-$200 depending on what a person wants for that switch that either zip ties some where or a nice control grip with an integrated switch for the loader joystick. :cool:

Sounds like a lot of money for not much stuff. Probably A LOT CHEAPER if a person has time, knows what to get and where to get it. Heck, I would venture to say that you might be able to save yourself $50 when really researching and do it all yourself. That's comparing apples to apples, not cheap stuff to expensive stuff. Most likely won't have any type of warranty though, if you're concerned about that type of thing.

All food for thought before making that step. ;)

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
OMG. It just occurred to me that with a 3rd function kit I can now rig up shoot rotation on my snowblower.
Keep in mind that your typical 3rd function valve is either open or closed, there is no feathering of the valve. Allowances need to be made for different types of operation.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
There are also several videos from Paul Short regarding this grapple as he installs it on his BX25D. Very informative & he is a master craftsman...! Should you decide to go with the SGC05, you will have to purchase it from your dealer as "whole goods". The grapple is offered by itself with an optional third function kit that includes all hoses, QC couplers, diverter valve, FEL joystick switch, etc. A bit pricey, but everything you will need with the exception of vinyl dust caps & plugs for protecting the QC hydraulics.

One other thing, the SGC is offered as a direct pin on or the Kubota Quick attach. My tractor didn't come with the Kubota QA, so I bought it separately. Now I can switch between my bucket & grapple in less than 5 minutes. Very happy with this setup...!
Thank you Rick for your very kind words. I'm not sure if I'm worthy but I do appreciate it.

Yes I was one of the early ones who bought the grapple and 3rd function kit. I have done many videos on the subject and some videos on how I improved on the system. You can see them by clicking on my YouTube channel on my signature below.

It's a great system. We got to use it a lot this past spring. There were a few things that I changed with the system and the one thing that really bugged me about the 3 rd function kit was the switch. It is Hugh and very expensive. Up here if I went to replace the switch it would cost $450 just for the switch :eek:

I hated the switch so much I designed and machined my own and I'm much happier with it. I included a photo of the two switches.

The other item I didn't like was the fact the solonide was exposed so I fabricated an aluminum cover for it and it gives it a cleaner look in my opinion.

The other issue I had was the hoses going to the grapple from the 3rd function. I made a special clamping system to secure them to the FEL and it looks like a better fit now.

I also fabricated an aluminum dolly that the grapple fits into so I can easily move it around the stable.

The best part of this system is it allowed me to design and fabricate an hydraulic thumb for the back hoe. Great system now over the mechanical one.

All in all I'm very pleased with the set up and glad I purchased it.