New BX1880 and FEL - I don't want to unintentionally abuse it!

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
I have been reading some threads in here and other forums and now I wonder if I am unintentionally abusing my FEL.
A couple things come to mind such as: using FEL to push on tree stumps in order to get them out of the ground, getting underneath tree saplings and then lifting them out with the FEL.
Is what I am doing abuse? Is it just meant for moving piles?
Granted I am not running into tree stumps at full speed and trying to knock them out. I gently move up to them and push on them, but some times they don't budge. Is this bad? I don't want to prematurely wreck my new machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have been reading some threads in here and other forums and now I wonder if I am unintentionally abusing my FEL.
A couple things come to mind such as: using FEL to push on tree stumps in order to get them out of the ground, getting underneath tree saplings and then lifting them out with the FEL.
Granted I am not running into tree stumps at full speed and trying to knock them out. I gently move up to them and push on them, but some times they don't budge. Is this bad? I don't want to prematurely wreck my new machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

As long as you aint doing the bold face ..... you are fine!!!!:D:)

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Great! Sometimes I get under one and it can't get it out. Does pulling up with maximum force but it not moving present any issues?
Thanks Again!
Jeff

The relief valve in your hydraulic system opens in that situation. Just don't keep tugging on the controller after it fails to move.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
You won't hurt it. I've worked mine HARD with tree stumps, giant rocks that pick the back end up even with some counterweight. I've also (unintentionally) rammed into stumps or boulders just below the surface at good speed and the loader has taken the brunt of a 7mph to 0mph in .00001 seconds hit more times than I can count. I can also tell you it took the hit better than my body did ;) At 400hrs (owned since hr 1) I can tell you the BX is a tough little tractor.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Well...at 1190 hrs I just blew my tilt cylinder head for the third time. And I checked the alignment of the FEL arms and they are off enough to bind the front pivot. Be careful...

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks,
Jeff
There will always be a time when it makes more sense to hire someone with a bigger machine or backhoe. Always keep that option in mind.

Dave M7040

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
If you think you did any damage, check to see that the stand for storing the loader comes down and goes back up into place OK. If it does, you should be fine.

For this kind of work, I'd consider operating this tractor around 2300 rpm. No need to go the full throttle for this, even with only 18 HP. You will probably run out of traction, tires spinning, before you run out of power. That's what I've found with, for example, the box blade.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I'm going to disagree just a bit with the prevailing opinion here.

If you can start far enough back to get UNDER the roots/stump where you're mostly digging dirt and roll it out, fine.

If you're setting higher up on the stump and trying to push it over, not so fine. May be okay on small (say, under 4") stuff, but it puts a lot of strain on the frame and hydraulics.

If you're "biting" into the stump with the cutting edge and trying to roll it over/push it out, you WILL bend something: The cutting edge, the bucket or the frame. In fact, it you persist, you can actually break the hardened (and therefore brittle) cutting edge.

Go ahead, ask me how I know.

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
I'm going to disagree just a bit with the prevailing opinion here.

If you can start far enough back to get UNDER the roots/stump where you're mostly digging dirt and roll it out, fine.

If you're setting higher up on the stump and trying to push it over, not so fine. May be okay on small (say, under 4") stuff, but it puts a lot of strain on the frame and hydraulics.

If you're "biting" into the stump with the cutting edge and trying to roll it over/push it out, you WILL bend something: The cutting edge, the bucket or the frame. In fact, it you persist, you can actually break the hardened (and therefore brittle) cutting edge.

Go ahead, ask me how I know.
For small saplings I was going underneath the roots and lifting up, most of the time it worked now problem. When it didn't work, I would dig a bit deeper to get it all out.

For larger stumps I would use pick axe to cut the roots around the stump then I would push on it with bucket. If the stump was still solid, I would hack at it some more with pick axe. But if it was somewhat loose, I would push it over with the FEL breaking whatever roots remained. Hopefully this wasn't too bad for the FEL.

Thanks,
Jeff