New B2620 owner, tree spade?

unclejemima

Feb 8, 2015
Alberta
Good day. Finally part of the kubota owners club. Picked up a mint 2013 B2620 last week :) My very first kubota!

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice in respect to tree spades. I'm looking to get some 6-8' tall evergreen trees by using a tree spade.

The B2620 is a small machine, but where I have to go to get the tree's its very tight. My dad has a M125 Kubota but its way to big to get into the bush.

Has anyone run a tree spade on a B23/26/2930? machine?

I'm assuming even this is to big...
http://www.baumalight.com/nomad/en/ST324.php

Looking forward to any replies :)

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
I know you really want to play with your new toy, but that's just not the right tool for the job. A skid loader with tree spade is the way to go for tight space maneuvering. I rented one last year and moved a dozen trees up to 4 inch diameter. The 3 inch and smaller trees transplanted nicely, the 4 inch had some transplant shock that took a while to get over. Cost to rent was less than a tree service quoted to move just 1 tree.

unclejemima

Feb 8, 2015
Alberta
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, from some research I've been doing your probably right. A skid steer is betters suited to handle this task and there is not denying that it would be easier to maneuver in the bush...plus the attachment on the front makes much more sense!

Now trying to find one to rent is the next fun part...

Thanks for the advice :)

unclejemima

Feb 8, 2015
Alberta
Ok...so I found a tree spade on with a bobcat. Big bugger, approx 15,000lbs with machine and spade. This will be a triple axle trailer and 1 ton truck move...

What about boring the holes? 30" hole drilling with a bobcat would probably again be the choice vs using the kubota?

erda

Equipment
LX3310HSDCC
Aug 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Ok...so I found a tree spade on with a bobcat. Big bugger, approx 15,000lbs with machine and spade. This will be a triple axle trailer and 1 ton truck move...

What about boring the holes? 30" hole drilling with a bobcat would probably again be the choice vs using the kubota?

Curious as to what part of Alberta you're in?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Your question, "What about boring the holes? 30" hole drilling with a bobcat would probably again be the choice vs using the kubota?"

Since you're renting a skid steer with tree spade you already have everything you need.

Determine where you want the trees to be planted. With the spade remove the cone of dirt. Fill hole about 1/3 to 1/2 full of water. Go get a tree for the hole, and set it. The water helps to remove air pockets and get a good soaking to begin with.

You might also consider anchoring the trees with three T post (each) and wire with old hose on the wire to protect the the tree.

The best system is to take the dirt you remove and put it in the hole you create when you remove a tree.

You might want to call for locates before digging. I've seen a tree spade hit a 6" water line. It isn't pretty!

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
D2Cat is correct. You need to use the spade to dig a hole first. Since the spade makes a slightly out of round shaped hole, be sure to dig the hole from the same angle you'll be setting the tree. Otherwise, your root ball won't fit all the way down into the hole and leave some air gaps. You'll have to set the dirt ball down somewhere while you go get the tree and move it.

That first dirt ball of the day is the only one that has to be set down on the surface and then picked up again. Expect to use a hand shovel to clean that one up because it won't stay all in a nice bundle. Plan where you'll set it down while moving trees so the cleanup is easy. Ideally, this will be right beside the original location of the last tree you'll move.

For the second tree, you can dig a hole and then set the dirt ball directly into the hole where the first tree came from, get the second tree into the second hole, repeat as needed, then your final trick for the day is to drop the dirt ball from the first hole into the hole left behind from the last tree.

When you are operating the spade, do NOT try to jam each blade all the way down on the first plunge. It will just lift the machine up and you won't get a good dig. Put the first blade down about 6 inches, then pull it up 2 inches to unload the weight. Then put the next blade down 6 inches, then up 2. Repeat this sequence all around until the blades are all fully down. This allows the stationary blades to help hold the machine down as one blade is driven deeper. You can also apply some down force with the loader arm so the weight of the tractor helps hold the spade down.

If you found a tree spade and skid loader that weigh 15K combined, you're shopping at a different place than me. My skid loader is 8K and the spade I rented was another 1600. It transported nicely on my 14K gooseneck behind a 3/4 ton truck.

Last edited:

unclejemima

Feb 8, 2015
Alberta
Thanks guys. Great information! :)

Regarding the skid steer at 15k lbs, yea its crazy. Its a big guns unit but the only unit in town to rent.

I found a guy with a smaller tracked machine with tree spade thats in the 10k range...he's a owner/operator and I think I might just go that route. He's fairly reasonable, and honestly similar price to the rental WITH the operator/hauling/fuel.

Great forum :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That's a good choice. One can often find situations where you get a professional doing a task much quicker time wise, same or less cost, no hauling, or learning to operate...and you get to what you can/want to do while their getting it done!