New B2301 - Rust?

whobee

Equipment
Kubota B2301, Snapper Pro 61" ICD 32HP ZTR
Mar 31, 2018
Northeast
First tractor. Is this amount of rust acceptable?

Quick background - B2301/B2601s are hard to find in the northeast at the moment. Contacted several dealers and one had this unit in stock due to original buyer backing out. I purchased it given that it was spec'd with turfs as I wanted. Also dealer came off of MSRP by 9% whereas all other dealers were MSRP or above and couldn't guarantee price due to estimated delivery times of up to 16 weeks.

I felt lucky and luck is usually not on my side. Then delivery came and I noticed rust. Tractor was manufactured in Nov/Dec 2021; not sure when it arrived to dealer lot and/or how long it sat but appears 2 months maximum. We do live in heavily salted Northeast.

Not sure if I should make a stink about it or if this is to be accepted and just be happy I got the B2301 and saved a couple of grand versus the others dealers had no inventory and higher pricing (with pricing uncertainty).

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I wouldn't worry about it.
You could clean it really good this summer then spray it with a rust converter/ inhibitor and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Looks like the paint job was light and incomplete, not a big deal. I would ask for a couple of spray cans of the matching paint and take care of the issue on a nice day.

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I’d clean up what bothers you, spray paint anything exposed then Fluid Film/WoolWax it and put it to work.

I see nothing to make too much of a fuss about.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I would demand, in no uncertain terms, that they give you a new, rust free unit and knock another 10% off the final price...oh wait, it's a tractor, nevermind.

Reactions: 3 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I bought mine just about a year ago. It has similar rust and I figured it was because up until I got it, it had been outside somewhere. It is a DT model and since most want the HST it could have been quite a while. The 3pt balls were stuck tight, I would have thought dealer would have caught that but all in all I was happy to get the package I wanted in just a couple weeks including the BH77 at that time.
As I live in the north east I would think there is always the salt factor just from spray in the original to the dealer delivery and from vehicles driving by when on the lot.

whobee

Equipment
Kubota B2301, Snapper Pro 61" ICD 32HP ZTR
Mar 31, 2018
Northeast
Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback and glad I asked here first and didn’t make a mountain out of a molehill with my dealer over it.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Congrats on your tractor. I too just got a b2301 this January. I did not think to check for rust but where they changed the seat for the swivel seat I had some rust and I thank you for calling attention to it as the treaded holes for the seat mount should be filled or at least some fluid film in them. I too live very close to the ocean so rust is always an issue. It is full of mud right now so I will look closer if I ever get it clean enough to see the rust. :cool:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
First tractor. Is this amount of rust acceptable?

Quick background - B2301/B2601s are hard to find in the northeast at the moment. Contacted several dealers and one had this unit in stock due to original buyer backing out. I purchased it given that it was spec'd with turfs as I wanted. Also dealer came off of MSRP by 9% whereas all other dealers were MSRP or above and couldn't guarantee price due to estimated delivery times of up to 16 weeks.

I felt lucky and luck is usually not on my side. Then delivery came and I noticed rust. Tractor was manufactured in Nov/Dec 2021; not sure when it arrived to dealer lot and/or how long it sat but appears 2 months maximum. We do live in heavily salted Northeast.

Not sure if I should make a stink about it or if this is to be accepted and just be happy I got the B2301 and saved a couple of grand versus the others dealers had no inventory and higher pricing (with pricing uncertainty).
Best solution for that annoying very light rust would be to treat those areas with OSPHO, using a small paint brush.
Then:.....several weeks (or more) later use some Kubota touch up paint.

OSPHO after thoroughly drying, will act as a primer for your touch up paint.
OSPHO is suitable for all rusted steel, or castings.
Follow the instructions on the OSPHO container.

OSPHO is Phosphoric acid, and is available at most hardware and marine stores.
Wear rubber, or vinyl gloves when applying OSPHO.

Last edited:

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Buy some Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Just spray some into the top cap and use a Q tip to apply to the rusted areas. It inerts rust to iron sulfide.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Buy some Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Just spray some into the top cap and use a Q tip to apply to the rusted areas. It inerts rust to iron sulfide.
OSPHO does exactly the same thing!

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Thats how they look after being outside for a while even in the crate! Water/snow /dirt sits in those places and soon will turn rust colored. Its all part of the upkeep!