New 4701 problem

rseasy1

Equipment
Kubota 4701L
Nov 2, 2014
brighton illinois usa
Just after 6 hours run time my son's new Kubota 4701L just shuts off like you flipped the key off and then restarts without any problems.It is intermittent
any ideas what might cause this?
I just joined this forum cause I know my son and I will have many question
and various forums in the past have been a great place to learn and share
thanks
Rob

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
HST? It's possible to be as simple as a miss adjusted seat switch.

rseasy1

Equipment
Kubota 4701L
Nov 2, 2014
brighton illinois usa
HST? It's possible to be as simple as a miss adjusted seat switch.
Thanks for replying:
It is not a HST unit it does have a switch under the seat but it is for the PTO
you can get off the tractor it stays running (PTO disengaged).
We will be contacting the dealer on it.
I am a journeyman diesel mechanic working on Cummings ISL mainly transit bus's and have never seen this before,But have no way of checking for DTC's.
Thanks Rob

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
There should be further logic in there that says you have to be in neutral to get off the seat and have it run. While moving in gear if you stand up, it should quit. Mine was so touchy that if I leaned over to the right the tractor would quit. You are generally so shocked that the tractor turned off that you can't remember some slight movement you'd just made on the seat...

rseasy1

Equipment
Kubota 4701L
Nov 2, 2014
brighton illinois usa
There should be further logic in there that says you have to be in neutral to get off the seat and have it run. While moving in gear if you stand up, it should quit. Mine was so touchy that if I leaned over to the right the tractor would quit. You are generally so shocked that the tractor turned off that you can't remember some slight movement you'd just made on the seat...
That could be a consideration, We thought about by passing the switch but were under the understanding that the switch is only for the PTO but it could also serve as a safety switch when the tractor is in gear .
Thanks for the input I never thought about it being in gear when it happens
I'll check that out .
Rob

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Before you bypass the operator presence switch (other than to test it to see if that is the issue), you might want to do a search, a while ago some guy got trapped under the tractor and the rear wheel ate into his leg, of course that was on a older tractor without a operator presence switch.

Like you I am unsure on a newer manual if said switch is just for the PTO or also has a in gear sensor / switch as well?

I have the same operating situation as some of the others, that is a fairly extensive lean of my body in the seat to the right will cause the OP presence switch to trip on my L3200. Are you sure that the operator is not squirming or moving differently than normal when the tractor shuts off? If so that may give more of a clue on where to look?

As soon as the weather clears / warms a bit I will have a look see.

David

Last edited:

jeffb

Equipment
2010 Grand L5740 HST, LP RCF2072, JD Z810 54"
Oct 28, 2014
Monett, MO
My JD sensed if PTO was on or if tractor was in any gear but neutral. Sometimes if I didn't get perfect in Neutral it would die if I stood off seat. I would assume all presence switches worked similarly. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rseasy1

Equipment
Kubota 4701L
Nov 2, 2014
brighton illinois usa
Thanks guys
Well now the weather here has turned cold so we have not had the tractor out for a while, But I did find out the tractor will shut down with it in gear and getting off the seat so it does serve multiple duties.
Thanks Rob