New 3 pt and Back Blade

bgbill

Equipment
BX25
May 12, 2011
BG, Ohio
Just installed a Kubota 3 pt hitch and a Land Pride backblade today.
The BX25 didn't come with a 3pt because it has the backhoe. The 3pt kit was a snap to install. I was concerned how easy it would come off to re-attach the backhoe. I would bet I can remove the BB and 3pt and hook up the BH in 20 minutes. I'm slow and rest a lot.
I am going to replace all the cotter pins with slip pins, or what ever they are called.
I found a piece of 1" ID PVC in the shop. Split it on the table saw so it had about a 3/16" slot. It went on the blade edge with a little help from the rubber hammer.
Not much snow left, but had enough on the sides of the drive to test the blade. Worked perfect. Ran it over gravel and grass. The plastic pipe on the blade edge worked great.
I may have to put an extension on the 3pt ctl lever. I had to reach to lower the blade when turned toward the rear of the tractor.
Bill W. Ohio

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
You take on an extra risk of damaging your rear blade or tractor by pushing the blade backwards rather than pulling it. I have been tempted myself but feel it isn't worth the risk. When you are pulling it everything is in line and under tension like designed. Pushing it backwards puts everything in compression which it wasn't designed for and introduces the chance of side forces....just saying.

bgbill

Equipment
BX25
May 12, 2011
BG, Ohio
Thanks Boss. I plan to plow forward and minimize pushing backward. Besides it is hard to turn and look backwards. I will use the FEL mostly for pushing.
The blade is as I bought it yesterday, just haven't rotated it yet.
Bill W.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I push snow alot better and move more of it faster with the blade backward then I do forward. I haven't broken a thing yet and I've been doing it for years that way. I actually get far better traction pushing it backwards with my B6100E then I ever do going forward.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Bill thats the same blade I have, I went and made (very crudly I must say) a set of curved feet ( like a snow ski) for mine they bolt to the end bolts of the cuting edge and when the blade is all the way down hold it up about 3/4 of an inch off the ground and the feet will ride over a lot of things with out gouging them up,, to much

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I do not have a BX25 I do however have a BX24. I am not sure how much diffrent the two are. I have a 3pt hitch and it is on reguardless of if I have my backhoe on or not. I have been told the reason that the BX25 didn't come with one is cost. With that said (and I could be wrong) you should be able to leave the arms on. As far as pushing or pulling the rear blade I do both with mine like Eric said it sometimes does better pushing. It all depends on what you need to do with the snow and or gravel/dirt. After all if it is like mine it is made to be reversed.

bgbill

Equipment
BX25
May 12, 2011
BG, Ohio
There can't be much difference between the 24 & 25. Next spring I will find out if the 3pt has to come off. I have everything pinned so it will come apart fast.
I am looking at a cyl and control to angle the blade so I don't have to get off the tractor everytime I want to angle the blade, quite a few times with my driveway. The hydraulics are right back there to use, easy hook up.
I'm not worried about pushing snow, its not that heavy of a load. A leaf blower will move fresh snow. Deep snow will get the FEL.
I am anxious to see how the PVC on the blade works. The next idea was to fabricate adjustable shoes.
Raining like crazy here in Ohio right now (sat nite), maybe some snow coming ??
Bill W.

bgbill

Equipment
BX25
May 12, 2011
BG, Ohio
I have ordered a cylinder for the Backblade 2" x 6". I am not sure on the terminology on the valves. Do I want a three way, single spool, center detent ? What about a log splitter valve ?
Bill W.

Ancbill

Equipment
Bx2360, 54" mmm, BX2750D snowblower, RB0560 rear blade, psycho border collie
Dec 17, 2011
Anchorage, ak
When you get the cylinder mounted, please post some pics. I would really like to add one to my blade too. Thx.

Also, is that Bowling Green, OH that you are from? My kid goes to bgsu, only one from AK on campus.

Last edited:

bgbill

Equipment
BX25
May 12, 2011
BG, Ohio
You are correct. BGSU, home of the fighting Falcons.
Just got the cylinder today. I made a phone call today to learn of the terminology so as to get the right valve. I now know I need a 4 way, 3 position, tandem, spring center valve. A low flow will work in this case. I found one for @82$. on line, brand new, free ship. This Hydraulic stuff is new to me. A learn as you go without spending to much money thing.
When I get to the project I will post pics.
Bill W.

bgbill

Equipment
BX25
May 12, 2011
BG, Ohio

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Is this what I need to hook up to the BX25's rear hydraulic connections ?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/pioneer-quick-coupling-1-2-in-double-acting-sleeve-set-1824407

Which connector on the back of the tractor is power and which is return ?

I see there are double acting and single acting QC's. ??

I am hooking up one cylinder with a 4w,3pos, tandem, centering valve. Two hoses to the valve and two to the tractor.

Bill W.:confused:
What the double acting is, is that you can push OR pull the outer collar to disconnect. The single acting is a pull collar only. Not a big deal, but I find that the double acting are easier to use. ;)

bgbill

Equipment
BX25
May 12, 2011
BG, Ohio
Thanks for the info. learned something new, by golly. Calling the hydr place tomorrow for 1/4" QC.
Got to work on the project today. More to do.
Off to town tomorrow for 4 bolts.
Tractor supply for some fittings and hoses.
Supposed to snow tomorrow. Won't have it done, so will have to rotate manually.
Bill W.

bgbill

Equipment
BX25
May 12, 2011
BG, Ohio
Well the plastic PVC over the blade edge didn't work out so good. It came off and I have not found it yet. I have a gravel drive and dragging the blade on it sure shakes things up a bit, and noisy. So I have to come up with another brainstorm for shoes. I'm leaning toward adjustable castering wheels.
Yeh, brainstorm in January, should have been in August. Don't even have the last BS done yet.
For now I think I am going to hook up two limiting chains on the 3 pt so the blade will only go down to just above the drive.
Bill W.

Ancbill

Equipment
Bx2360, 54" mmm, BX2750D snowblower, RB0560 rear blade, psycho border collie
Dec 17, 2011
Anchorage, ak
What about skid shoes, one on either side of the blade?

bgbill

Equipment
BX25
May 12, 2011
BG, Ohio
Yes, Bill, I have thought of skid shoes. I usually over engineer at first. I may even have the metal to do that. I will need to make them adjustable to give me at least 1/2" clearance.
Supposed to get rain in the next couple days, warming back up in the 40"s. That will get rid of the snow.
I bought this Kabota because two years ago I had 3 feet of snow piled on both sides of the drive, and decided I needed a FEL.
I have used it for moving stone around the pond this last summer, and digging out the cattails.
Bill W.