Need to build an equipment shelter

longleaf1

Equipment
M5140
May 2, 2012
Statesboro, Ga
I'm sure most of you guys that have accumulated farm equipment and other "toys" have come across this problem and I need some guidance. I bought a new Kubota with implements last year and with it and my other stuff a need a good storage shed/shop. I'm thinking a metal pre-engineered building with a shop area that can be locked. I have the tractor and several vehicles and trailers that are now stored under three of the canopy type shelters. I need to do a little better than this to keep all my stuff in good shape. I know there are many manufacturers that make the metal buildings but I have no idea how good they are. I'm also wondering about a kit vs. a shelter site-built by a contractor. Does anyone have any thoughts, experience or advice? I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

dtherrien

Equipment
B3300su TLB
Dec 28, 2012
Central Mass
If you look at both options thoroughly in the end the kit metal building will be the cheapest. I have another contractor friend that just went through this a year ago. He wanted a building for his excavation equipment and ended up with a metal building kit...i think it was out of Florida. He had to do the foundation the company delivered the building and the building company provides the crew to erect it.
It really comes down to the looks..metal or wood. There are pros and cons with either of the two. You will have less maintenance with the metal building and can clear span a much bigger area.
When i was working in Little Rock we put up many "Butler" brand metal buildings.All big commercial type. There are a handful of them that been around awhile...cant think of any at the moment.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
If you get the metal building, GET THE INSULATION in the roof. Moisture condenses on the inside of the metal roof then drips down on your stuff. Sometimes it's so bad it sounds like rain. What's the use in haveing a building that rains on the inside???

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
Check out www.garagejournal.com great site with lots of great members. You'll be able to get a lot of idea's and advice their.

My plan is for a 24x36 pole barn. I figure I'll have a local contractor "frame" it and roof it and I'll do the rest.

One major advantage is that you don't have to build a slab or foundation right away, or at all if you don't need it. I figure I could build a pole barn for roughly the same amount of money as a metal building and you know your getting a quality building that will be there for years to come. I worry a little about some of these metal building companys, here today, gone tomorrow.

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
Check out www.garagejournal.com great site with lots of great members. You'll be able to get a lot of idea's and advice their.

My plan is for a 24x36 pole barn. I figure I'll have a local contractor "frame" it and roof it and I'll do the rest.

One major advantage is that you don't have to build a slab or foundation right away, or at all if you don't need it. I figure I could build a pole barn for roughly the same amount of money as a metal building and you know your getting a quality building that will be there for years to come. I worry a little about some of these metal building companys, here today, gone tomorrow.

hillbillyss

Equipment
mower,box blade,bucket,boom lift,post hole digger
Feb 25, 2013
greenville tx.
i just put up a bolt together from mueller.it was 24x24 so my new tractor helped.
be sure to use the roll insulation vinyle backed as the sheet insulation falls apart.