Need help

bean1187

Equipment
May 14, 2024
Louisiana
Hooked up a batwing to my m7040 and now my loader works about half spoken and only creeps down Also lost 3 point function. I have unhooked the batwing and still having the same issue. Any suggestions on how to fix it. I have changed the oil and filters on the transmission/hydralic system with no luck. Am I missing a filter or something. I canged both of them on the right side on the side the transmission

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Anytime you connect something hydraulic and then something does not work, first thing to check is to be sure the quick connects are fully seated. Usually disconnect and re-connect and you're back in business.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hooked up a batwing to my m7040 and now my loader works about half spoken and only creeps down Also lost 3 point function. I have unhooked the batwing and still having the same issue. Any suggestions on how to fix it. I have changed the oil and filters on the transmission/hydralic system with no luck. Am I missing a filter or something. I canged both of them on the right side on the side the transmission
Have you checked the hydraulic oil level? Did you run the tractor after the oil & filter change but prior to hooking up the batwing? If you did, did everything work as it should prior to connecting the batwing? Did you put the correct amount of hydraulic oil back in after the service?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Anytime you connect something hydraulic and then something does not work, first thing to check is to be sure the quick connects are fully seated. Usually disconnect and re-connect and you're back in business.
He states that the problem didn't resolve itself after he disconnected the batwing. I'm thinking that low hydraulic fluid level could be the problem.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It is important you understand the hydraulic flows on your tractor.

The main pump feeds the loader valve. The loader valve has 7 ports on it. 6 of these are strictly for loader functions. The 7 port is a power beyond port which is the hydraulic supply to the 3 pt hitch and any rear remotes.

As D2cat suggested make certain all quick couplings are opened and reseated.

If a control lever for a rear remote has not been returned to its neutral position, this will bleed off hydraulic pressure/flow for the loader.

Did you touch any hydraulic lines on the loader valve?

Dave

bean1187

Equipment
May 14, 2024
Louisiana
Thanks for the advice guys. The oil is at the correct level all new oil new filters have not had the batwing hooked up since I changed everything lever is back in the neutral position that controls the batwing from the remote I do function the remote, I can see the lever swapping on the back of the tractor front and loader works all the way around except for down, and my three-point does nothing Full of oil, new filters and I had no issues before I connected the batwing

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I remember helping a neighbor with his M9540. When he connected his rake he couldn't get things working. His problem turned out to be he had his hyd. lines connected on a horizontal plane, so only one side was getting fluid and nothing could return.

On Kubota's the hyd. connections are vertical, up and down make a pair.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I remember helping a neighbor with his M9540. When he connected his rake he couldn't get things working. His problem turned out to be he had his hyd. lines connected on a horizontal plane, so only one side was getting fluid and nothing could return.

On Kubota's the hyd. connections are vertical, up and down make a pair.
Perhaps you're not talking about the rear remotes but if the OP's 7040 is like my M6060 then the hydraulic pairs are horizontal. The Land Pride folding cutter shown connected has two hydraulic lines that each go to a different valve.

I'm not following the comments about the loader. The OP connected and disconnected the batwing mower, so what does the hydraulics for the loader and the associated valves and connections have to do with that? Did he disconnect the loader to hook up the batwing?

m6060_pto_cover.jpg

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Exactly what model of M7040 do you have. If it is a cab model there will be a decal on the right door near the bottom telling you what type of power beyond you have. Type 1or type 2.

I am providing this detail just to show you how complicated things can be.

M7040 type 1 fittings.jpg

M7040 type 1 block.jpg

M7040 Type  2.jpg

M7040 door label.jpg

There is a feedback rod which connects the left upper lift arm to the 3 pt control valve. Check that this link is still in place and has not been bent or deformed. This rod, when the 3 pt reaches the top of its stroke kicks off the hydraulic supply so the pump is not constantly running against a dead end circuit.

Feedback rod.jpg

Dave

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
All very interesting, but what does any of this have to do with the OPs stated problem? He connected a folding cutter or batwing to the rear of the tractor. He said nothing about disconnecting the loader, or messing with the power beyond. A folding cutter has one or two hydraulic lines to control the center deck and the wings. Those lines dead head since they have no return for the oil.

It's not clear if the OP changed the oil and filters before or after the loader and 3-point stopped working properly. The other thing that's not clear is whether those were working properly before the folding cutter was connected. It might be that this has nothing to do with the folding cutter.

If the problem occurred after changing the oil and filters then it would be worth confirming that the correct filters were installed and that the oil level is correct.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Sounds like one of the valves in the system is blocking the power beyond circuit. Check your remotes to make sure they are all centering.

Dan

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
All very interesting, but what does any of this have to do with the OPs stated problem? He connected a folding cutter or batwing to the rear of the tractor. He said nothing about disconnecting the loader, or messing with the power beyond. A folding cutter has one or two hydraulic lines to control the center deck and the wings. Those lines dead head since they have no return for the oil.

It's not clear if the OP changed the oil and filters before or after the loader and 3-point stopped working properly. The other thing that's not clear is whether those were working properly before the folding cutter was connected. It might be that this has nothing to do with the folding cutter.

If the problem occurred after changing the oil and filters then it would be worth confirming that the correct filters were installed and that the oil level is correct.
The symptoms are pretty revealing.

If one of the remotes used for the mower is not in neitral the entire circuit from loader to remotr 3pt will be locked (deadheaded) and downstream valves (3pt] will have no hydraulic power.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The symptoms are pretty revealing.

If one of the remotes used for the mower is not in neitral the entire circuit from loader to remotr 3pt will be locked (deadheaded) and downstream valves (3pt] will have no hydraulic power.

Dan
So you're assuming that the OP is totally clueless about how to operate his tractor? How the heck would you not know that the lever in the cab is not in the center (neutral) position? This person is able to change oil and filters, hook up and unhook a batwing mower, but he's clueless about how to operate the controls?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So you're assuming that the OP is totally clueless about how to operate his tractor? How the heck would you not know that the lever in the cab is not in the center (neutral) position? This person is able to change oil and filters, hook up and unhook a batwing mower, but he's clueless about how to operate the controls?
So you tell me whats happening. I gave you a possibilty that matches the circumstances perfectly. I also did not say he was clueless - I suggested he check the remotes. To make sure they are canceling.

Dan

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So you tell me whats happening. I gave you a posdibilty that matches the circumstances perfectly. I also did not say he was clueless - I suggested he check the remores. To make sure they are canceling.

Dan
You might be right, but is that the only possibility? If someone has a 7040 and runs a batwing I would think that they know enough to rule out the basics such as a FD or SCD not centering. It's obvious with the controls in the M series when the valves are centered.

But perhaps you've solved it and the OP will report back with what he found.

bean1187

Equipment
May 14, 2024
Louisiana
Control was in the neutral position and the cable control to the rear remote looked to be in neutral while trouble shooting I tapped the linkage with my hammer and it moved maybe 1 cm and everything started working. I have a new cable on order maybe mine is stretched out some or getting worn inside the sleeve

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Control was in the neutral position and the cable control to the rear remote looked to be in neutral while trouble shooting I tapped the linkage with my hammer and it moved maybe 1 cm and everything started working. I have a new cable on order maybe mine is stretched out some or getting worn inside the sleeve
Bssically what I was suspevting. Disconnect the cable and check the spool movement without the cable. Spool may be hanging in the valve.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user