Need help with key positions on L185

thirtyacres

Equipment
L185
Apr 30, 2010
Nixa MO
Great forum.

Videos by Service Department Vic are amazing.

Just took possession of a L185.

Runs like a top.

My key ignition switch has four positions going from left to right.

Number three is for headlights on.

What are the other three stops for and which one do I use for everyday work such as mowing?

Thanks.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Thirtyacres welcome to the forum. First position should be preheat ( glow plugs ). 2nd should be off. Third should be run. 4th should be start, but if you leave your foot of of the clutch it should run the glow plugs as well. Leave foot off clutch hold 4th position for 30 sec depending on how cold it is, push clutch in, engine starts take hand of key. Key should return to run position. Notice how I put should in every sentence.:D:D Dusty

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Just took possession of a L185.

What are the other three stops for and which one do I use for everyday work such as mowing?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Congrats on the orange tractor.

I think your key and start switch are oriented like mine. If not then you can disregard this info.

Here is a picture to show the layout and placards. With the key in the horizontal position the switch is "off". In the next position/detent up the switch is in "system on" position. The next position/detent up is "on with low headlights", and the next detent is "on with "high beams".
The black knob is turn right/clockwise for "starter" and left/counter clockwise for "glow plugs". Of course the starter knob is only active with the clutch safety switch closed and the main switch on.

Hope this helps. :)

Attachments