Need help with hydraulic failure on B5100

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
So this morning we had a couple inches of snow. Fired up the tractor around 6am to scrape the driveway off. My plow setup runs off the 3-point via a cable to the front. I raised the blade, pulled out of the portable garage, and drop the blade to the asphalt. It's about 275ft down to the road. Get to the bottom and go to lift the blade and there's just nothing. Acted the same as if the machine were off. It actually dropped the hitch a little further while moving lever up. It normally will do that when the engine is not running. There were never any noises or any strange or slow operation before this or this morning. It has always worked flawlessly and the hitch will actually stay raised for weeks without dropping at all. I checked the trans fluid and it is full, although it looked a little frothy. Not sure if that's normal from being circulated. Any help is appreciated. I don't have a way to check the pressure from the pump. Can a pump or filter just fail almost instantly like this?

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
Well, maybe this will help somebody down the road. Apparently water got into the gear case. I'm guessing through the shifter boot as I let the machine sit out in the rain most of the summer. Ice formed in the oil and plugged the strainer/filter for the pump. Problem solved, it just makes me cringe knowing there was that much water in the system. Going to fill it, run it for a little bit, dump it and refill it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My first thought was water in the system - glad you found the problem and the solution. It seems that shifter boot can do that on a wide variety of tractors.;)

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
You should change the oil in the steering box. Water can get in and ruins things. Rust and or freezing and cracking the case. It can get expensive very quickly.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You should change the oil in the steering box.
You should follow Sam's advice!!

I have no experience with it, but I've seen TONS of guys here wrestling with steering box problems - for the reasons Sam mentions.