Need Help To Pull Trigger- Advice

FF111

Dec 15, 2016
Western MA, MA. US
First of all, just wanted to say hello to everyone, as I am a new member, and have enjoyed reading through the forums and its time for me to become interactive myself.

I know this question has floated around this site before, I just haven't found enough information to make my final decision, so I am looking for input.

So I am in the process of ordering a new tractor. I have narrowed it down to the L2501 and the L3301.

This is going to be a general home use tractor, main purpose plowing snow, and property care. Moving rocks, building stone walls, clearing land, tree work. Attachments for sure is going to be a bucket and a hydraulic angle snow blade. With plans on a grappler to help with land clearing. Also, have access to 5 foot bush hog and York rake that will be used.

My dilemma is, will I be happy with the L2501 for my needs, or kick myself in the but for not getting the L3301. I understand its pretty much the same tractor other than the HP for the PTO and of course the emission filter. Any L3301 owners hating the emissions? My understanding is 5HP for foot of attachment, so 5 foot bush hog should have roughly 25HP PTO.

Like I stated earlier it is going to be a home tractor, basically a toy, not worked everyday. The price difference between the two is only 2500, so money is not a concern.

Basically looking for some information on either tractors and personal opinions, other than the dealers.

Thanks in Advance,

Mark

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
If money isn't a factor, more HP sure can't hurt. I have a L3901 and no problems at all with the DPF. I was going to get a L3301 but got the 3901 instead. Glad I did. It's a great size for working around all the trees I have.

Another thing with tractors, the bigger/heavier the better if you have the space. If you have the room to maneuver, the L4701 might be worth looking at which has a stronger loader that can pick up bigger rocks.

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
I just purchased a L2501 HST loader backhoe. Waiting for delivery as we speak. Most of this is a reiteration of someone else's knowledge from this site but this is why I went with the L2501. No DPF to deal with, 100 ci engine, MAX 2,200 RPM, and an estimated 70 ft/lbs of torque. I, like you, am basically buying it as a toy, and will probably never have a need to get jobs done quicker. This tractor will perform all the same tasks as a standard L, just not as fast. The bottom line is, I like the fact that the engine probably punches above its class, and above all, I seek reliability. I hope to pass this machine on to my kids, and do not want the added expense of DPF filters over the years.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
FF111,

I have an L-3800 HST and in just doing landscaping (moving dirt and boulders) I use every bit of 37.8 hp. If physical size is not an issue, I would go as large as you budget allows. At least up to 35-40hp. Used is a great alternative. One of our members contacted me about an L-3800 a couple hours away from him (in AR) that had under 100 hours on it and was near-mint. That would be a killer find for someone like you. They are out there.

By the time I get my front yard done, I will have moved or spread nearly 300+ tons of rock, dirt, aggregate, boulders and flagstone in just my little project. And the 40hp made it all possible. In one good day, I moved and spread 63 tons of top soil. Tractors are amazing.

Ray

Last edited:

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
What is the big concern with the DPF filters? They have been around for several years on diesel trucks and will eventually be on all diesel engines before too long. I have seen no ill affects of it in my diesel truck over the last 85k miles other than a slight loss in fuel economy when it goes into regen mode. So what am I missing here with them on a tractor?

I am asking this question because I will be taking delivery of a new L4701 next week and the DPF was never a concern when I was buying it especially since it doesn't require the DEF like my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
8upbowhunter, they have been in the compact tractors for only 2-3 years, and a lot of folks had trouble with dpf filters on their diesel trucks first, and so were not too happy to see them in the tractors. I bought my l3560 without knowing anything about the history, but have had no problems. I have had my tractor for 2 years and been following the question on this forum for that long, and there have been very few problems in the L-01 series, or the L-60 series, but the littlest tractor with a dpf filter, the B3350, has had a lot of folks with regeneration problems. This tractor has a totally different engine design, and a different regen strategy.

You will likely love your 4701. Read the manual and pay attention to your tractor and it will be fine. Like your truck, if you keep it in auto regen mode and run it at high enough rpm, it may regen without your doing anything while you are working. Keep a set of the regen directions in the tractor until you get used to it. If lights blink or you hear beeping do what it says. :)

jkz

Equipment
2010 L3700SU, mowing, landscaping, snow removal, general grounds use on 5 acres
Aug 7, 2016
Bayfield, CO
I considered a a new L2501 vs used L???? back in August. I wanted 30hp at the PTO so I wouldn't have had that with the L2501. This meant I was looking for an HST model with HP in the 36-39 range. As much as I had the fever for a brand new tractor with the L2501, I was patient and found a 2010 L3700SU with 300 hours for $17K vs the $20K for the new L2501 with FEL & 5' brush hog. The 3700SU came with a 5' Land Pride Brush Hog, a 5' box scraper, pallet forks, & a ratchet rake. Plus I got 30hp at the PTO as I wanted.

I feel like I got a lot of bang for the buck by going used & would definitely buy used again.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Thanks for the info Sheepfarmer. Most of what I read about DPF issues when I bought my truck in 2011 was with the regen cycle and mostly required a computer flash for an updated program to resolve the issue. I will do some research on any tractor issues and see what I come up with. As with the auto side of it I am sure there will be a DPF delete kit on the market at some point so if it gives me any trouble I may just go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FF111

Dec 15, 2016
Western MA, MA. US
Well Santa is being good to me this year!!!

Pulled the trigger:
L3301HST with R4 tires.
3rd function
Spacer kit
QA Bucket
Power angle snow blade
Loaded Tires
Hooks welded to bucket

Grapple in the spring.

Thanks for the input gentlemen-

Merry Christmas to me and the rest of you! Enjoy the Holidays

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
Good choice. I bought a 2501 this past fall. I find the motor to be a little underpowered for the 60" bush hog running across my hilly pasture at the speeds I'd like to go. But it has worked fine for loader work, and plowing snow with my 72" front blade. I think the loaded R4's make a big difference in the snow.

I was cautioned about the DPF on the 3301 by my dealer, but reading online over the past few months has lead me to believe that the isolated issues were most common with the B3350. Just don't idle your tractor for long periods and you should be fine. I'd actually like the filter so I would have less emissions blowing back at me while working.

millsrv

Equipment
L2501 HST, LA525, BH77, Gannon Rollover Scraper, Titan Skid Steer Attach Forks
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
I have owned my L2501 for one tear now and it works great for my purposes. I use it mostly for loader, grading, and backhoe work. I have yet to use the PTO as mowing here is impossible with thousands of trees and millions of rocks!
At first I was disappointed with its power when trying to climb a steep hill with a bucket full of wet dirt in medium range, 2500 rpm. Then I discovered that simply backing of on the hydrostatic control pedal solved the problem. Rocket science right?
This tractor is a work horse and it suits my needs perfectly. I have built roads, moved thousands of yards of dirt, dug out oak tree stumps, put in drainage, and used my skid steer forks to move many big heavy objects. Just the saving of my back alone makes this thing worth the cost.