Need a new front wheel. What are my options?

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I got a flat a while back and when I replaced my wheel, I was stupid and ended up putting the lugnuts on backwards. They have this tapered end that's supposed to go towards the wheel, but I installed them all with the taper facing out. Well... I plowed with the tractor (MX 5800) a lot over the winter, and with all the snow packed in my wheel, I didn't notice that the lugnuts had come loose and a couple even fell off. There are a few holes in the wheels that are wollowed out.

I have ordered new lugnut studs and lugnuts, but I think I better get a new wheel too. Is there somewere I can get this type of wheel, other then the dealer? Does Kubota get their wheels from a third party? Maybe I can just get the exact wheel from somewhere else and then paint it with Kubota orange? Any idea how much one of these wheels is gonna run me?

Below is what I have, and it shows the damages. You'll notice I tried to start by reversing one of the lugnuts, but it got stuck. If I back it out, the whole stud tries to unscrew.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
There are several tractor junk yards on line, ine in Ky and Im not sure where the other one is, just wait a bit and somebody will have the address for you

mbalsup

Mar 1, 2019
DeKalb, Illinois
I recently found a company, UNVERFERTH, where I was able to purchase the rim (12"), the 12" disc with 4.5" lug spacing. You then weld them together with the required backspacing.

Factory wanted $369 for the complete wheel. Was $75 for both pieces from Unveferth.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Another question I just thought of. If I get new studs and lugnuts, and install them properly with the tapered end facing towards the wheel, do you think it'll work?

jmg32975

May 21, 2019
US
I wouldn't try it. It's very likely that the lugnuts will pull through the old wheel, due to the holes being wobbled out already (don't ask me how I know that happens lol)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I wouldn't try it. It's very likely that the lugnuts will pull through the old wheel, due to the holes being wobbled out already (don't ask me how I know that happens lol)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Lol. Sounds good. I'll check the machine shop option

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Decided to look up the wheel cost on Messick's and the wheel cost is very reasonable.

Please double check to make certain my info is correct...

Drawing item number: 30
Description: WHEEL AMXR8860- WHEEL
P/N: TC050-50040
Price: $109.06
Availability: 5-7 business days

Wholegoods item with tire: AMXR8860AR

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Think I'd get a new one (if you go that route) locally at a dealer. The price won't be that much different and shipping from Messicks will be a bundle.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I've tried, (Literally), for an hour to upload pictures so that I would not have to use a thousand words and have not had any success. For some reason I can not post pictures here anymore.
(Edit: Apparently from my phone.)

So I will try and explain.

The lug nuts on my M4900 are facing the same way as yours. There are two differences between my tractor and yours. One, mine has one thick washer between each nut and the wheel. The second is that the nuts are flush with the end of the studs, all of them. The washers are Kubota orange so I believe that it came this way. I bought the tractor with 639 hours on it so I do not think the front wheels have ever been off of the tractor.
The rear wheels are the opposite of the front on mine, (I think). These have also never been removed by me. The lug nuts have a flat end facing out and no flat washers between the wheel and the nuts. I do not know for sure the mating surface of the nuts and wheel on the rear.
I am guessing that the holes in the front wheels are flat because of the washers that are installed. I have never had the wheels off to confirm my suspicion.
Hopefully you can get someone with an MX5800 to respond to this thread.
Good luck!
If I get over the frustration of the picture posting trouble I may try again.

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I dragged the I-pad over to the tractor and this worked. :confused:

Beveled side of the lug nut out is the front wheel.
C5E364CA-4E09-4C51-93D8-D9B04027E864.jpg

This is the rear wheel.
8697C8AA-3253-484F-99CB-B62E059D4F91.jpg

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I dragged the I-pad over to the tractor and this worked. :confused:

Beveled side of the lug nut out is the front wheel.

View attachment 44955

This is the rear wheel.

View attachment 44956
Thanks for the info. Do your front wheels have an area that would hide the bevel on those lugnuts if you installed them bevel facing in? On my other front wheel, you can't when see the bevel when the lugnuts are facing bevel in. That's how it messed me up when I installed the lugnuts when I got a flat. I looked at the other side and couldn't see a bevel and figured the dealer gave me left over lugnuts for the other side that didn't match. Had I known better, I could have avoided all of this.

Anyway, if your wheels don't have the area to hide the beveled lugnut facing in, it's probably just different on your model than mine

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Decided to look up the wheel cost on Messick's and the wheel cost is very reasonable.

Please double check to make certain my info is correct...

Drawing item number: 30

Description: WHEEL AMXR8860- WHEEL

P/N: TC050-50040

Price: $109.06

Availability: 5-7 business days

Wholegoods item with tire:AMXR8860AR
Great Info. Thanks!

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Update. Got a price for a factory wheel from my Kubota dealer. They said it's $105. I had them order one for me.

Thanks again for your help