My Winter Experiment

461mike

Equipment
BX2200 w/front snowblower, B2650, 54" box scrapper, grapple, 6' plow
Sep 19, 2014
menomonie
I am thinking that you can also use EMT or rigid electrical pipe. Stronger than pvc but easier to cut than iron. Up here we get to -30 and the plastic will break. I will have to cut some conduit. Not sure if 3/4" or 1" would be better. Not sure how well it will stay on, would have to look into that.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Rigid Conduit is basically the same dimensions as pipe.

EMT is thin wall conduit

IMT is medium thick wall (between the EMT and rigid)

I don't know if it would work but you can buy round rods or tubes of PTFE (Teflon) and other plastics from McMaster Carr. May be too expensive but if you only use a few inches at each end it would reduce costs.

I am glad I live in central Texas. If it does snow we just sit inside for a day or two and then it is gone!

dwk121

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870 fel,54" MMM, ballast box. 3ph triball trailer hitch.
Jul 4, 2013
United States Falling Waters WV
My problem was the factory cutting edge from one season was just about worn back to the side cutters on the bucket, so I installed a WR long cutting edge which will save the bucket edge and also the bottom of the bucket. Not the cheapest way out but should last a couple of seasons or so. Here is a link if anyone is interested. You have to purchase thru a dealer, as they have no direct sales. http://www.wrlonginc.com/WB.htm.

Attachments

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
I skip welded a piece of 1/2" round stock on the very edge of my cutting
blade on my loader bucket. It really helps to not dig into my gravel
driveway. I leave it on year round. Works fine in the summertime also.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
The whole and main point of my experiment was to (1) recognize the need, (2) a cheap sacrificial edge, (3) being that it would be sacrificial, that it would be easy to install and uninstall, (4) easy access to replacement, (5) no nuts and bolts or the need to weld tabs or any other type of permanent fastening, (6) CHEAP!!, and finally (7) does it do at least 75% of what the expectations were.

We can all probably agree on the theory we are talking about here, the only real question is in the practicability and durability of the material used.

So, where are we at here? #'s (1), (2), (3), (4), (5) and (6) conditions have been met. And I'm exceptionally pleased with #6 = $4.98.

As a side note, I'm secretly hoping that in the same matter, as when I got the snow blower, it was a couple of years before it was needed. So I'm hoping that maybe this experiment will not be tested this year but things aren't looking very good.

Ron

Pizzaguy

Equipment
L3240 HSTC
Nov 24, 2012
Northwest Iowa
I tried this last week with both plastic 1 1/2" PVC on rear blade and steel pipe on Polaris Ranger plow. I cut the PVC on the table saw and put on the loader bucket and the rear blade. Didn't really try the loader, but we received 5" snow Saturday and wasn't happy with using on the blade. Then I turned the blade around and it was EXCELLENT! Cleared the entire drive without scraping up rocks and pipe stayed on with no problems.
Now for the Ranger plow. I had some 1 1/2" pipe with a cut lengthways already there. I believe they were corner post braces for the old wood fence posts. I took the cutting edge off the plow and pounded it into the pipe with a 3 lb. hammer. I haven't tried plowing with that one yet because the Kubota cab was so nice and warm- Ranger has no doors or heat. I will report back when I try it. I won't bother adding it to the blower because I will get a solid base down first before I use the blower.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
lreos, I stole your idea. I used a piece of 1 1/2" schedule 40 pipe I had and split one side with my 4 1/2" grinder. It took two cutting discs. Don't use a torch, as it will cause the pipe to bow. I slipped it over my bucket then welded a tab on each end (just inside the bucket) then drilled a 1/2" hole through the tabs and bucket and bolted them on. It works great. I haved plowed my gravel driveway twice and back bladed also, no problems. I put the bucket in the float position and it doesn't tear up my gravel. Thanks for the idea.:)

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
I haven't had any measurable snow yet so it's good to hear that there is evidence of a success in it's application and function. I think the best way to cut the PVC is on a Table Saw with side and top Feather Boards to hold it straight and even for a nice clean straight cut. The small kerf allows plenty of a tight spring of the PVC to clamp tight along the bucket or blade edge with no additional fasteners needed.

Again, glad to hear a positive report. Now I have to decide if I'll be looking forward for some snow, or hoping it doesn't snow. I'm not very fond of the cold or snow.

Ron

Last edited:

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

Well, got a chance to try out my little experiment today. Only got about 2½" of some real dry and fine powder. Worked great, especially where my drive meets the road, where there is an uneven seam of the asphalt that usually would get hung up on when pushing snow across the road into the ditch.. Same when pushing to lawn edge, just rolls onto the lawn rather than digging into to sod. Because of the roundness of the edge and the dryness of the snow (I suspect), there was a very thin layer left in some places, no big deal. With the first use, there are signs of wear on the PVC, but so much that I shouldn't get a season out of it easily, if not more.

Overall, I am pleased with the results so far and with less than $5.00 invested, it has accomplished all that I was shooting for.

As different conditions present themselves, I will try to update.

Ron

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I've been using 1"thick PVC board as a cutting edge, on my home-made v plow for years, you just put an old cutting edge on it, and use that as a drilling template. I used 2 gravely walk behind blades, and an old tater plow shoe as the center part. I welded the plow point up, about 2", and put a wooden shoe made of some scrap oak. Haven't wore it out yet... If you can't find the PVC, use some of that plastic deck material, I bet it would work just as well...:D

Spaghetti308

Equipment
L3301hst Kx91-2
Jan 3, 2015
SE indiana
I have a blacktop driveway that is 500 feet long and this is my solution to not scaring the roadway up during snow removal.
I went to a local gravel pit and they gave me a few hundred feet of an old rubber gravel conveyor belt belt. The belt is super strong and rigid and is a real pain to cut.
I made a simple 2x4 frame inside the bucket that I "c" clamp to the side of my bucket for easy removal.
I then screw the belt to the wood frame and attack another 2x4 to the outside to make it more rigid.
Spray it down with a little wd40 so the snow doesn't stick and you have a great snow pusher and squeegee.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a blacktop driveway that is 500 feet long and this is my solution to not scaring the roadway up during snow removal.
I went to a local gravel pit and they gave me a few hundred feet of an old rubber gravel conveyor belt belt. The belt is super strong and rigid and is a real pain to cut.
I made a simple 2x4 frame inside the bucket that I "c" clamp to the side of my bucket for easy removal.
I then screw the belt to the wood frame and attack another 2x4 to the outside to make it more rigid.
Spray it down with a little wd40 so the snow doesn't stick and you have a great snow pusher and squeegee.

that thar is genuine genius ! :)

let us know how that works

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
That's a really neat set up and I'm sure it fits your need nicely, but I need to have the bucket also available to scoop up piles also. Believe me, if it weren't for that, I'd be stealing your idea in a heartbeat. I've live by the saying, "Where there's a Will, There's a Way" and enjoy the challenge and success of finding the 'Way'. You, Sir, have a successful 'Will' by finding the 'Way'.

Ron

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Just a update on my pipe cutting edge. NFG, took it off this mornning. The snow does not feed into the blower smoothly leaving piles at the sides. Still digs into soft spots . Back with the original cutting edge things worked much better feed wise, but have to watch not to dig in too. Oh well it was only a 50 dollar waste.
Hold the bus!
It's a great idea like Ron's is using the PVC pipe but you have to realize that
the cutting edge on a bucket or blade and how it's used are way different so
don't give up it works excellent.
Check mine out it works as we all want them to and it's on it's 4th or 5th winter and still looks good. I used 1/2 inch black iron pipe welded directly to a piece of flat stock 3/8th's thick standard grade steel. The original cutting edge is hardened ( at least it appeared to be much harder when I hit it with the file to test it ) and being it was in experimental stage I didn't want to screw it up, marked the new piece to match the holds in the original one drilled them out then welded the 1/2 inch pipe directly to the new edge keeping it as close to dead center on the middle of the edge as possible. Cleaned it up and give it a few good coats of paint and bolted it on. Now before I go any further it appeared that the angle of the blower was wrong or pointed to dig in at to much of an angle so I loosened up the bolts and tipped it backwards so it wasn't pointed down so far where it tended to "jab in" then tightened it back up bolted on my modified edge.
It works awesome! No more nose diving into the ground just enough round radius to roll over instead of catching on every bump or lump. Before it was peeling sod like a loader bucket on a mission and now it sort of glides over everything but mole hills that need shaving off anyway. I do an area in my yard to the side of the house that's 20' wide and 125' deep then behind the house 40' wide and 100' long plus some big pathways to be able to get to the car hauler or storage semi trailer and my yard is rough the opposite of a gold course for sure and none of it is tore or skinned up.
Al

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
....Cleaned it up and give it a few good coats of paint and bolted it on. ..
Think we know what your describing but for shiatz and grins could you take another pic or two? Since you painted it Kbota Orange the pic presented makes it hard to see your Fabrication except maybe someone that has a memorized mental picture of what a bucket edge looks like.