My new gauges

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I was looking for ways to add an oil pressure gauge and voltmeter to my BX, and struggled to come up with a solution. I FINALLY settled on these gauge pods and mounted them on the sides of the instrument panel. FAR from ideal, but they work well, and are easy to read. I immeadiatly DISCOVERED that the "alternator" on these units is a piece of junk. It produces next to nothing at idle, and doesn't set the world on fire at full throttle. With headlights and auxillary lights on, it just barely stays ahead of demand. Has anybody ever done the conversion to the more conventional alternator on these? I could probably get a good used alternator for nothing, i would just need to get the brackets and know how to wite it up. I am still working on the digital tachometer I bought. I got the sensor to trigger OK, but my display is blank. Either it was no good when I got it, or I fried it hooking it up. It doesn't help that the wire colors on the sensor do not match up with the pigtail on the display.

Attachments

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Nice gauges! Sorry they've revealed shortcoming in your elec. system. :eek:

Also sad to hear of your issues with a tack. Since I'm operating a B6100, I'm in the market for a tach, and the pucker power of info regarding your bad unit is considerable!

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Better that the deficiency found on that gauge than the other. :eek: Just for completeness, have you referenced the volt meter to a known source (or known good meter) to make sure it's accurate? Would hate to go to a lot of trouble rebuilding a system only to find out the gauge was out of spec.

And even assuming it's right, better to know than not. That's what kills me about my 7100. Bad things can happen and you have no reference of any of it, other than a whistle that may or may not work when you need it. And unlike automotive engines, they don't have a selection of ports to attach sending units. At least the B2150 has a tach and some idiot lights.

volp

Equipment
Kubota B6001, MF35 with backhoe, Ford 3000, JD LX186 Lawn tractor
I prefer a digital volt meter which has more precision. I also notised that the alternator is weak on my B6001 with a D950 engine. Specialy when you put the headlight on. Therefore I replaced the bulbs with LED ones which works fine.

Anders

Attachments

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
After I could not get it to work, I seperated the wires and tried them seperately. I can power up the sensor and it works just fine, but nothing I have done makes the diplay light up. I am going to go back and recheck everything, and if I can't make it work, I am going to get another one. I found basically the exact same tach on eBay where the sensor leads plugs into the diplay instead having to be hard wired. I will likely try that one if I buy another. I found a wiring diagram on eBay that confirms I wired the diplay correctly to to the tractor and the sensor. Unless i have a bad wire connnection, it must be a bad display.

volp

Equipment
Kubota B6001, MF35 with backhoe, Ford 3000, JD LX186 Lawn tractor
After I found basically the exact same tach on eBay where the sensor leads plugs into the diplay instead having to be hard wired. I will likely try that one if I buy another. I found a wiring diagram on eBay that confirms I wired the diplay correctly to to the tractor and the sensor. Unless i have a bad wire connnection, it must be a bad display.
You are probably right. On my meter the sensor is plugged in and the connector can only be inserted in one position. It works perfectly.

Anders

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Dieselbob, where did you get the gauges and holders from?

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If the alternator has an internal voltage regulator then just replace with a standard 80-100amp GM/Delco alternator. You might have to reduce the pulley size though to get the RPM's up on the alternator.

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Dieselbob, where did you get the gauges and holders from?

I got everything on eBay. The holders are called gauge pods, and there are MANY listings for them. They generally come in 2" and 2 5/8" (mine are 2") and just make sure they match whichever size gauge you buy. I wish I had bought plain black ones instead of the carbon fiber look, as I think they would have blended into the dash better. as for the gauges, i just searched every listing for volt gauges and mechanical oil pressure gauges I could find, and then bid on some ones in my price range. i have about $30 in the whole shebang.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Thanks Dieselbob. I have been looking on eBay and other places. I be leave I have found them.:)