My latest shop project-trailer to haul the BX

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
After searching for about six months and not finding anything at a price I was willing to pay, I decided to build my own utility trailer. My requirements were: 1) Big enough to haul BX with loader and attachment, 2) small enough to tow with a S10 pickup, 3) Tilt deck so I don't have to use ramps, 4) Capable of hauling zero turn mowers, garden tractors, golf carts and numerous other items. It is 66" wide, 144" long, has a Dexter 3500 LB axle with electric brakes, 1/8" diamond plate floor, 5,000 LB hitch, 7,000 LB jack, electric winch, LED lighting, and the fenders, spare tire carrier and license plate bracket are all easily removable for oversize or awkward loads. I have been around trailers for over forty years, and I poured ever bit of practical knowledge I have accumulated into this project. Here is the construction which took place between Thanksgiving and yesterday, and the finished product. As you will see in the pictures, the trailer was road tested before painting, first empty, them with a zero turn mower on board, and finally with the BX, loader and grader blade. The trailer was tested over forty miles on various types of roads at speeds up to 65 MPH and exceeded my expectations in every way. In fact, it pulls better than my big factory built trailer.

Attachments

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Re: My latest shop project-trailer to hual the BX

Very impressive work. Please post photos with your tractor onboard. I'd like to see the tilt function as well. Great looking shop space as well!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Nice trailer. You pay attention to details!

How did you paint that in your shop without a mess?

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN

Very impressive work. Please post photos with your tractor onboard. I'd like to see the tilt function as well. Great looking shop space as well!
The fourth post has pictures of the tractor and my zero turn on it. What do you want to know about the tilt?

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine

Your the man Bob....
Very very nice project. I have built a couple trailers in my lifetime. The last one I used a torsion axle from tractor supply. My brother inlaw wanted a trailer to haul his zero turn mower. Sometimes he has it freighted with stuff. I used 14" tires, but when really loaded, the wheels, from the rear tip out at the top. I think its 5 x 10' , I've had torsion axles on other trailers, but apparently I don't understand what I did wrong making this trailer. Tires to tall maybe ? Or really I just don't know. The trailers I've made with leaf springs, no issues.

But your trailer looks great, very nice fabricating.

JustJeff

Equipment
Kubota BX 2350

Very nice OP. How much money do you think you've got in it at this point? Also, are you not required to register trailers in Indiana? Here in IL, they have to be registered and plated. How do you go about registering and plating a homemade trailer?

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN

Yes, you must register trailers in Indiana. You go to the DMV and get a form. You fill it out and then have the police department come out and inspect it, and they sign off on the paperwork. You take it back to the DMV and they apply for a title and issue a serial number, then you make an ID plate, stamp out the ID number and rivet it to the trailer tongue. Once you get your title, you can apply for plates. In this case, my uncle had a very light duty tandem axle car trailer that a tree fell on and ruined it beyond economical repair. His insurance paid off on the trailer, and I cut up the trailer for him, salvaging the axles and a few other pieces. He then signed off on the title and gave it to me. I transferred the title and assigned the serial number to this trailer. That's where I got the axle. I just sectioned out the center of it to get it down to the correct width and refurbished the brakes. As far as I'm concerned for legal purposes, this trailer is just my uncle's former trailer, heavily repaired and modified. ;) As for cost, I have about $500 in steel, and I got the hitch and jack on e-bay dirt cheap. I work in parts in the trucking business, so I got my steel and lights at a a very discounted price, and some of the other items I bought years ago when a truck equipment shop was closing down. Of course, the axle was free, and I had the tires and wheels, although I would like to put nicer wheels on it. All told, I probably have about $1000 in materials. The labor would be off the charts though, which is why as much as I would love to, I can't make any money doing work like this. If I built another, I would probably have to ask $3500 for it, which is a non-starter. In case anybody is wondering, this trailer has about 14 LBS of mig wire in it.

Last edited:

JustJeff

Equipment
Kubota BX 2350

Damn. My next question was going to be how much would you charge me to build one for me! -) I guess you no longer have to answer that. I guess I'll just continue looking on CL for a cheap one that looks to be in nice condition. That is near impossible though. You've got a nice one there though, good job!

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo

Very impressive job! I wish I had just 1/2 the skills you possess.;)

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I haven't got it over to a scale yet, but the steel used comes out to roughly 735 LBS, so it should stay south of 1000 LBS.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A trailer that fine cannot be found for 3500 in these parts.
Nice job.
I have built a couple trailers too,and its time consuming.
Torsion axles arent my favorite,i find them very rough riding.
Its all about the balance and tongue weight, looks like you have it spot on.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Bob I simply cant understand how you could possibly work in that place you call a shop??
First off its well lighted, how can anyone work with that much light?
Theres nothing on the floor to trip over or get tangled up in.
The floor, Lord I don't know what to say about the floor, like theres hardly a drop of oil any place, how can you call it a shop with out oil soaked cement?
And the paint job ,,,MAN not a run any place to be seen, cheeeze, and not one adult beverage container any place to be seen, though I did find a can of some type, might be a pop can.
And the welding ,, well I aint even goin there !
Well all that side, I guess I have to say you did a pretty fair job of it ! :D

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Dieselbob - only the first three posts were up when I asked my question- the rest of the photos were great and show tilt and tractor. What is your towing capacity on the S10?

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Dieselbob - only the first three posts were up when I asked my question- the rest of the photos were great and show tilt and tractor. What is your towing capacity on the S10?
Towing capacity for my truck is 5500 LBS. I should also note that 90% of the time when I will be hauling the tractor, I am going 10 miles or less at 45MPH or less. We also have a big 3/4 ton 4x4, but it's a total gas hog, hence the desire to develop this much more efficient combo.