My L245DT is getting an attitude

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
I guess it is getting the attitude of the Jeeps (3) and the 1 ton Chevy that live at my place....... "I'm going to mark my territory no matter what you say!"

I knew something was up anyway, heard a little bump and grind twice on Saturday. Quit the brush-hogging and went to the house. Temps were 98 degrees, humidity 89% making the index about 115.....said Pfttttt! I'm going inside. Went out to look today and there is a puddle of old gear oil under one side of the rear axle. Yippee!!!!!!!!

I figure one of the axles bearings is out and the oil seal is shot. We'll see what is what when I get it opened up. Anything unusual I should know about before I tear the axle cover off? Are these bearings pressed on the axle or do they just slide on?

Could it just be an easy job this time? Please? I really don't need a big frustrational headache testing my ability to keep my temper in check right now. :D

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The last L245dt that I replaced the rear axle seals and bearings had the wrong bearing on the inboard side!:confused: There are three bearings, two outside and one inside of the bull gear. The one I worked on had a bearing with too small an outside diameter though it was the right bearing by the parts book. It required a 63 series bearing instead of a 62 series. might be worth checking when you take yours apart. Quite an easy job to do though.
Ed

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
Thanks for that Ed. My parts diagram shows 3 different bearings at the inside of that gear depending on serial number. I'll see when I open it up.

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
............Quite an easy job to do though. Ed
Easy........ If you remember to move your toe when you take the tire off the tractor. Darn thing is kinda heavy. :eek:

Got everything disassembled today. Inboard bearing was a tad discombobulated. Missing four balls. Not to worry, I found them. Ground into powder in the bottom of the axle cover housings. So, a new bearing and a new oil seal are on the way. Should be good to go soon.

Oh, one other question....... My tractor is kinda old, as in before Kubota had UDT or Super UDT. The manual spec's SAE 80 gear oil for the tranny. I just assumed that 80W-90 was fine, but since I am going to be draining the whole thing and refilling (all 26 qts or whatever it takes), recommendations?

UDT, GL-3 or 4, SAE 80W-90 in the 5 gal pail, plain hydraulic fluid, something entirely different?

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
SAE 80W-90 in the 5 gal pail.

Rinse the housing out real good with solvent and let dry before assembling.

E/S