my final 3 year review of my Bx and my GR 1 month

stutrac

Mar 30, 2016
Bethany ct
ok I have all positive reviews but the following I cut 99% of the time 221 hrs 3 years old
1 heavy tractor leaves ruts on my lawns I cut(under 1 acre)
2 excellent bagger but time to remove and install
3 cut quality is ok but not like my Scag zero turn
4 for me I had heavy front tire wear due to a lot of turning not a negative but a issue for me
5 parts cost and shipping time not a issue just things I noticed
6 excellent using the snow blower never needed more power
7 engine and hydo excellent
8 resale value negative paying $19K selling for $13k and my equipment was in show room cond also
9 ROPS too tall always folded
10 factory steering boot crack better to upgrade to after market

GR 2120 for my 1 month review
1 bagger system tube, small tube 6" round clogs quick vs my BX 12" round tube
2 the weight and how far the blower hangs off the deck takes a lot of space it is the same system the zero turns use
3 slow going up hills my BX was quicker

I think if I had to do it over again I would stay with a BX 1870

Last edited:

Chucktin

Oct 22, 2018
East Central Florida
Thanks for posting this as next year I'll be replacing our 42" Husquvarna LT.
Don't know which way I'll go as our needs are first mowing and turf maintenance then everything else. But I'd love to have a small FEL and Boxblade/Scraper to improve, read fill in, the divots so the lawn is smoother.

stutrac

Mar 30, 2016
Bethany ct
I was in the same thinking mode but the price of the Gr was $9k but if you want a nice cut lawn then a zero turn is the way to go, the Bx cuts nice but after a heavy rain. the next day I would cut my lawn then the ruts start and I would alternate and cross my cuts and with the BX I had a lot of hope and dreams to do side work and make extra cash but it did not happen , so to sum it up if I was just cutting lawns then zero turn is the way to go, if you own a farm with a lawn then I would still go zero turn and buy a used loader or buy a few year old loader I looked at John Deer X590 but all plastic and not well constructed and the price is like buying all plastic,i also looked at the John Deer X700 series to heavy and to big of a tractor close in size to my BX, there are no good solid garden tractors so that is why I went with a Scag zero turn lighter then my BX all steel and made in the USA
it comes down to price on what you are looking for to do around the yard for me all I do is cut lawns... used my loader 4 times and the time to change between bagger and weight box does get a little old after awhile I wish they made a 3pt type quick hitch for quick and easy charge over

Last edited:

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I'm leaning away from a ZTR. If I want to spread seed or fertilizer, or rake, or fill low spots how do I use a tow implement with one?
You don't. You buy a secondary tractor, for tractoring.
A ZTR is made for fast, clean mowing, so your time can be spent on other projects, chores, life.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
For me I can't afford (nor have space for) a dedicated mower and a dedicated tractor. The BX mows well enough for me. I'm looking at a small B for my next tractor, getting a dedicated mower instead would mean giving up all tractor capability. I drive my chipper off the PTO, I move my compost with the FEL, I tow the boat with it.

As always, everyone has different needs, and it's nice that there's a product out there for everyone.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
You don't. You buy a secondary tractor, for tractoring.
A ZTR is made for fast, clean mowing, so your time can be spent on other projects, chores, life.
Exactly, like anything else in life, a tool purpose made for a single task will almost always outperform a multitool. I'm fortunate enough to be able to have both a ztr and a tractor and room to store both warm and dry. That being said, there is definitely a large market for a good land multitool, and the BX series is
one of the best in that category. With the loader off, turf tires, and sharp blades, it does cut as good as a ztr, just slower.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
ok I have all positive reviews but the following I cut 99% of the time 221 hrs 3 years old
1 heavy tractor leaves ruts on my lawns I cut(under 1 acre)
2 excellent bagger but time to remove and install
3 cut quality is ok but not like my Scag zero turn
4 for me I had heavy front tire wear due to a lot of turning not a negative but a issue for me
5 parts cost and shipping time not a issue just things I noticed
6 excellent using the snow blower never needed more power
7 engine and hydo excellent
8 resale value negative paying $19K selling for $13k and my equipment was in show room cond also
9 ROPS too tall always folded
10 factory steering boot crack better to upgrade to after market

GR 2120 for my 1 month review
1 bagger system tube, small tube 6" round clogs quick vs my BX 12" round tube
2 the weight and how far the blower hangs off the deck takes a lot of space it is the same system the zero turns use
3 slow going up hills my BX was quicker

I think if I had to do it over again I would stay with a BX 1870
I have a GR2010 (bought new in 2009) and a BX2380 (bought new in 2018). The GR has a 48" deck while the BX has a 60" deck. Both decks are equipped with the mulching kit.

My plan was to eventually sell the GR, but it is so much more nimble than the BX when cutting grass. Further, my young son is now piloting the GR so I figure it is a good reason to keep it. We now tag team our 2.5 acres and with 108" of deck we are done quickly.

Overall, I still think I prefer the GR for cutting only. The BX is better at about everything else. They both have their places.