my EV crystal ball was right, again

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Seems Ford in Oakville just announced TWO YEAR 'delay' in retooling to EV only production.......
..hmmm, anyone else see THAT coming ???

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Seems Ford in Oakville just announced TWO YEAR 'delay' in retooling to EV only production.......
..hmmm, anyone else see THAT coming ???
Our "Pothole Pete" says they are absolutely great, and that soon,....... everybody will want them! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
awww man I thought maybe they were going to switch over to an LS

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Seems like they should be retooling to put in Cummins fuel agnostic engines or building something similar. ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
From what I hear Ford will be shutting down Oakville operations in 2030 as 'not profitable' due to re tooling the ev retooling to hybrids will cost too much. Only 3300 jobs there anyway.... EV sales in the toilet ,cost of batteries, recharge costs, very limited distance...
Current workforce(union guys..) will get 70% for next 2 years of holidays. Man,that'd be nice.... 70K to stay at home and twiddle my thumbs......

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
From what I hear Ford will be shutting down Oakville operations in 2030 as 'not profitable' due to re tooling the ev retooling to hybrids will cost too much. Only 3300 jobs there anyway.... EV sales in the toilet ,cost of batteries, recharge costs, very limited distance...
Current workforce(union guys..) will get 70% for next 2 years of holidays. Man,that'd be nice.... 70K to stay at home and twiddle my thumbs......
WOW an EV hater... would have never guessed. 🥴

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
WOW an EV hater... would have never guessed. 🥴
I would love to have a nice new EV.
IF: I did not need to drive it when very hot....or very cold outside....
IF: somebody gave it to me....
And: If I had a nice new gas car for trips over 100 miles.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
For the US members, who here gets USPS service with a FEV?

They could give me one reason to believe in EV, all post office vehicle must be full electric….

edit for context:

603811E7-5CC4-4233-B70B-38DB0A2CA306.jpeg

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Seems like some of the talking heads on YouTube reported that Ford was done with EVs late last year?

Myself, I see EVs as the future, so far in the future I won’t see it. As soon as EVs have to compete on a level playing field, it will be over for a while.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like all of the EV threads ... it's obvious some people here and in politics don't realize that EVs are unpractical for most of the population.

Who knows if they are uninformed, stupid, invested in the technology, or just politically motivated.
Insulting people for not having YOUR OPINION on things is not the way this forum works.

Why don't you take a vacation for a couple weeks after you apologize to everyone!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My wife and I looked at an EV. The first thing that turned us off was the price. Yet, I can say the same thing about ICE vehicles.

The reason we looked at one was because our niece has a Tesla and she really likes it and it has worked well for her.

Yet, after looking at them, seeing what it would take to be able to charge one at home and then watching multiple videos, we realized it would not be feasible for our usage/needs.

I would be interested in hybrid truck that would give us some of the benefits of the EV, but still maintain many of the advantages of the ICE engine, although with some compromise.

My opinion, which I know we all have one, is if the auto makers had went the hybrid route as heavy as the jumped into the EV route, the acceptance would of been much greater in hybrid and would of prepared people for the eventual/potential growth into EV.

Reactions: 2 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
EV would work for the one vehicle the wife and I use for shopping. Typically, 50 miles at most, often just 20. But... a couple of times a year, we do 1,000 mile trips. So to make this feasible we'd need two to replace the one. I'd still have oil changes on the one and pay more dollars to Mr. Insurance, more storage issues and ..... net zero savings and actually much more expense.
I could almost get away with an E pickup but... it has to be able to do the 100 mile trip loaded and pulling an overloaded (not me, never) trailer. So...no E pickup.
I like my EGO leaf blower for clearing the garage, blowing leaves off of the roof or mulch off the sidewalk back into the garden bed (those pesky birds!). The Ego hedge trimmer is awesome, one change is longer than my arms can work for and I have yet to 'cut the cord' with it. As well as a quick trimming being easy with no extension cord to deal with. Nice and quiet.
Love the electric drills and other small battery hand tools. But I love the sound of my big SnapOn air gun zipping in the morning, sounds like victory!
EV vehicles will happen and be fully practical in my lifetime, I am sure. I know a scant 15 years ago, self driving cars was considered 40+ years out. Beat that time line PDQ. iRobot vacuums work so much better than manual vacuums, it is uncanny and less work. Whodda thunk? I am still waiting for the whole house French Maid--Oolala Fifi! Before I die, I betchya.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
For the record..
I do NOT hate EVs

As a 'concept car' they are a nice idea but they are not THE replacement to any ICE vehicle.

IF they were, Ford would have accelerated the retooling NOT delay it. Expert(Ford employee ) said retooling would only take 8 months not frag out for 2-3 years....

IF EVs were THE replacement, ALL manufacturers would have made millions of them by now. Higher volumes of 'things' REDUCES prices of those 'things'. I can buy a computer chip for $1, buy in lot of 10,000 , and they're 17 cents each.

IF EVs were THE replacement, out governments would be BUILDING the fast chargers, super stations, nukes in every backyard,millions of power lines, etc.We hear talk but no ACTION on this.

IF EVs were THE replacement, then entire fleets of delivery vehicles, service trucks, buses, cop cars,tractors, etc. would be seen everywhere.Don't SEE that happening here.

IF EVs were THE replacement, then they would go as far on a full battery as an ICE does on a tank of fuel, cost the same to fill up, carry the same amount of cargo, weigh in same as an ICE car, drive ANY time during the year with NO loss in MPG or comfort, cost less in a true 14 year life of the vehicle and be recycled better than an ICE vehicle.

....so I don't hate EVs but tired of the media, guv and others spouting that EVs ARE better. Clearly they
aren't.

About 5 years ago I did a 'Proof of Concept EV car. Simple really, rework a car alternator into a 3 phase motor. Electrically that was easy, the challenge for me was getting a $2 PIC microcontroller to 'spin the wheels' for various load conditions, with speeds up to 50 MPH.

Reactions: 2 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
For the US members, who here gets USPS service with a FEV?

They could give me one reason to believe in EV, all post office vehicle must be full electric….

edit for context:

View attachment 125661

The mail carrier in my area delivers the mail in their own 30yo beater that looks like its been in a couple demolion derbies 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 The only time I see a legit USPS vehicle in my area is Sunday Amazon deliveries. 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
When all the police cruisers sitting on the side of the road collecting revenue are EVs, and the school busses are EV, and the Fire Chief/ Battalion Chief vehicles are EV...... I might think about one.
As a note- some PDs are doing pilot programs for EV ticket issuers. It is a perfect fit, really. For sitting 9.2 hours out of a 12 hour shift, and driving less than 100 miles, they beat idling a V8 all day.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Seems like some of the talking heads on YouTube reported that Ford was done with EVs late last year?

Myself, I see EVs as the future, so far in the future I won’t see it. As soon as EVs have to compete on a level playing field, it will be over for a while.
Somebody evidently forgot to tell Ford. They are building a new plant east of Memphis, slated to open in 2025 I think, to build electric vehicles.

From a recent article in the Memphis Commercial Appeal,
"The $5.6 billion BlueOval City campus is located in Stanton and includes the BlueOval SK battery plant, which will provide the EV batteries for Ford and Lincoln vehicle models, and Ford's Tennessee Electric Vehicle Center, which will help build out its next-generation electric truck."

This was announced after 12 years and $200mil+ was spent by the state to develop a speculative 'Megasite'.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Somebody evidently forgot to tell Ford. They are building a new plant east of Memphis, slated to open in 2025 I think, to build electric vehicles.

From a recent article in the Memphis Commercial Appeal,
"The $5.6 billion BlueOval City campus is located in Stanton and includes the BlueOval SK battery plant, which will provide the EV batteries for Ford and Lincoln vehicle models, and Ford's Tennessee Electric Vehicle Center, which will help build out its next-generation electric truck."

This was announced after 12 years and $200mil+ was spent by the state to develop a speculative 'Megasite'.
That is very positive news!
Ford reported that they LOST only $4.7 Billion last year.
Seems like they have the profit/loss issue well in hand.....NOT!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'm no fan of EV's in their current state. I guess that some day they will improve to the point that I could be interested. Range, charging and fire hazards concern me. There's some information out there on the new Chevy Silverado electric truck that sounds as though they are headed in the right direction. It has over 400 miles of range.