My BX is too fragile

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I wouldn't be surprised if 60-70% of BX users seldom have it off a lawn or driveway. So that's what it is built for.

I don't have even have a mower for mine. Box blade, rear blade, rotary cutter, forks, rear ballast, rake, tooth bar, bucket boom, carryall. It is used for digging, carrying, ditching, firewood logging, pallet moving, etc. And it has a skid plate.

I have a little tractor, not a lawnmower.

Bruce

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
While one who starts a thread might end up getting info they as the Thread starter understands already.... folk that responded don't know that for they are not mind readers.

Besides that the next 10, 20 or 200 folk that review this thread over the next ten years wondering if a subcompact tractor will handle what they want to get done around their place will get educated by it. No thread; in the long run, is ever only about one person's needs.... its about the library of info it provides to hundreds more over time.

Glad you also got closer to answers you want. Look forward to pics of whatever skid plate you install. You might consider searching in here for "Skid plate". There is a few threads on it. Wish you could search by HST Fan but like most bulletin boards you can't search by three characters. An "advanced" google search of this site though would do that. I know there has been discussion in here on HST fan protection.

bradmond

Equipment
BX25D
Mar 14, 2015
SeaTac, Wa
Can you post some pictures of the area that you are clearing? I guess I've been lucky and have not taken out my fan. I did rip the front u-joint boot and it started flapping down there and broke my tach wires. Further inspection revealed the rear boot on the drive shaft had a hole in it also. Replaced them both at the same time. I have driven over a ton of branches clearing my property and at my Dads. I am actually surprised I haven't had HST fan blade removal. Done clearing now so I should be ok. I made some finger like extensions that work great for raking up brush ahead of the tractor so you're not running over them so much. Maybe that's what saved mine.

Here's a kink that shows the extensions I made..can't be happier with how well they work for brush. A grapple would be better but much more $$.

Advice on front-end grapple

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=20355&share_fid=18850&share_type=t

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
So new to tractor world, got a new BX-2670 with FEL and Roto-tiller. Also got the ride over MMM.

So I checked with Xpanded, they sell a shield but with my Ride Over mower rails have to come off first. So to use my mower I would have to take off the shield then put the mower frame back on, followed by the mower.
I have the "Driver Over" deck too. The BXpanded skid plate won't work - and I don't think the Bro-Tek skid plates works with the Drive Over either, but I'm sure about theirs.

I would really like to have a skid plate that can "stay on" the tractor year round and work with the drive over deck. Does any know of any other sources?

countrynerd

Equipment
BX25D, L3301
Jun 6, 2016
thumb, MI, USA
I have the "Driver Over" deck too. The BXpanded skid plate won't work - and I don't think the Bro-Tek skid plates works with the Drive Over either, but I'm sure about theirs.

I would really like to have a skid plate that can "stay on" the tractor year round and work with the drive over deck. Does any know of any other sources?

Bro-tec I think covers the rear fan and let's pto shaft through. Maybe that will work?

I personally do not like the drive over but seems to be where the market is headed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Posted somewhat in jest, but with some seriousness in the thought.. Dave Barry is my hero when it comes to writing ** ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Barry

Perhaps to own a tractor, you must first present your "Welding and Steel Fabrication License" (if such a thing existed :) )

I have three tractors sitting in the garage and not one of them has escaped the need for some custom fabrication either to protect the tractor itself from some vulnerability I would have never dreamed of, until it happened* or add some (what some would consider crazy) Rube Goldberg functionality to it..

I don't think a tractor has ever been built by any manufacturer that is ideal, or fully protected for all purposes....

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
While it's no immediate help, but I expect both Bro Tek and Bxpanded are going to design something for the new models, they have done so in the past.

kghenson

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, RTR Tiller
Oct 20, 2016
Garretsville, ohio
While one who starts a thread might end up getting info they as the Thread starter understands already.... folk that responded don't know that for they are not mind readers.

Besides that the next 10, 20 or 200 folk that review this thread over the next ten years wondering if a subcompact tractor will handle what they want to get done around their place will get educated by it. No thread; in the long run, is ever only about one person's needs.... its about the library of info it provides to hundreds more over time.

Glad you also got closer to answers you want. Look forward to pics of whatever skid plate you install. You might consider searching in here for "Skid plate". There is a few threads on it. Wish you could search by HST Fan but like most bulletin boards you can't search by three characters. An "advanced" google search of this site though would do that. I know there has been discussion in here on HST fan protection.
Thank You. That is exactly why the folks that wanted to say it isn't a tractor or that it is only designed for lawns annoyed me. It is a tractor and it does the things I asked it to do very well.

There seems to be more info on shields in the other tractor forums...curious.

I will look further into the Bro-Tec or as I have learned use a different approach, Once the area is cleared the mower will be in place most of the time.

If I can figure out how to put it back on. :D

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
There are several videos on the new drive over deck here is just one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZeF643QxQM

I consider the BX a tractor as well, but as mentioned, I've torn stuff off on most of our tractors. A couple of years ago, I had a lot of brush to clear and decided to rent a cabbed skid steer on tracks for a week to spare our bigger machines.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
If the BX series are not tractors, then I got ripped off. I thought that I bought a tractor and I have been using mine as one. I guess that I really asked for and got too much out of my of my BX1860.

I do agree with the OP about the couple of weaknesses that the BX series has. He makes a valid point. He is not trashing the tractor, he is merely mentioning his observations on a forum. I don't see anything wrong with that. I thought that is what this forum is all about.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
If the BX series are not tractors, then I got ripped off. I thought that I bought a tractor and I have been using mine as one. I guess that I really asked for and got too much out of my of my BX1860.

I do agree with the OP about the couple of weaknesses that the BX series has. He makes a valid point. He is not trashing the tractor, he is merely mentioning his observations on a forum. I don't see anything wrong with that. I thought that is what this forum is all about.
The only thing I disagreed with was the implication this is unique to Kubota. As I mentioned, we are on our second JD and they share the same limitations as Kubota.

I have yet to see any SCUT, CUT, UT or Ag model that comes stock with sufficient protection once you get into stuff tall enough to drag along the bottom.

Even many ORVs will required added plating.

Many don't really need this kind of protection, so the cost of putting it on all machines cuts into the profit market, so we wind up building or buying it.

Last edited:

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I'm confused... I just picked up a new BX25D a couple months ago. I thought I read several posts (here and elsewhere) saying that the newer BX now comes with protection for the fan. I looked under mine when I purchased it and didn't see a fan. Are skid plates still necessary on the newer machines?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have the BX25D. Smallest tractor in my neighborhood. Why did I get it? Because it is small, I can get between trees and go places a larger machine will not go. If by chance I need larger, I borrow a neighbors or ask them to stop by for a few minutes. Or hire someone with the right machine.
The machine does have fan protection, a 5" plate under the fan. But it will not stop a stick from jutting up at an angle and breaking it. When I ordered my BX, I also ordered the BX-Expanded plate. First time out, I high sided the tractor on the plate and had to get towed out by my neighbor. Fan was fine. I have since removed a few stumps from his place and dug a few holes for new trees, something, because of tight spaces, a larger machines would not work and a mini-excavator would cause a lot of damage.
My Sears garden tractor has gone through five fans in 16 years. One bolt, ten minutes, $11.
You have to keep expectations reasonable. I'd love a BH that could reach out 30' and pick up five yards at a time. I'd also like 20 workers to tend to me day an night. What I have is a tablespoon and a hammer.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm confused... I just picked up a new BX25D a couple months ago. I thought I read several posts (here and elsewhere) saying that the newer BX now comes with protection for the fan. I looked under mine when I purchased it and didn't see a fan. Are skid plates still necessary on the newer machines?
Since 2013 model year - the BX does have a ventilated metal plate under it.
BUT, by no means is it enough! I thought my MMM covered everything possible - but I still have had sticks get up under the frame.

Even if you make a belly pan out of an old road sign....that will do wonders for the underside of your machine.

here is a picture of the stock pan on newer machines.

Last edited by a moderator:

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
I bought a new BX24 in July of '07. It has FEL, BH and I have a 48" Bush hog.
I got a stick in the HST fan and broke it when I was Bush hogging. That was before I new about the vulnerability of the fan. Got it repaired and made a belly pan from a piece of old 3 ply conveyor belt I had. I didn't need a "skid plate" just something to protect the fan, filters, etc. I attached the belting with 6 heavy duty zip ties. It works great. As for mowing the lawn, I have a Husqvarna riding lawnmower. (Which I love). I also love my little BX 'TRACTOR'. It is a workhorse.
Below is the thread with pics of my belly pan.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17215

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I have no dog in this fight since I don't have a BX. I do have two B's. After doing the full hydraulic system service I was surprised by the amount of 'stuff' that is exposed on the underside of these tractors. If I were doing real "bush" work with them, I would almost certainly either exercise extreme care or provide some armor to the underside, or both.

With all that having been said, so far I'm very impressed with how tough these little tractors are. At about 1400lbs for the bare tractor they certainly seem to punch over their weight class. They'll never be as tough as my old Massey, but the Massey will never be as easy to use as the B-series tractors. They all have their time and place.