MX6000 noise after warm.

beal13

Equipment
MX6000, ZD326P
Apr 29, 2024
Monte131!$7
Hi, can anyone tell me what is making the sound about 5 seconds into this recording. This occurs about one to two minutes after starting and letting the tractor warm up, it doesn’t go away just gets drowned out at higher rpm’s. It’s on an MX6000, about 55 hours, all fluids and filters changed, and it doesn’t seem to affect performance. Thank you!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hi, can anyone tell me what is making the sound about 5 seconds into this recording. This occurs about one to two minutes after starting and letting the tractor warm up, it doesn’t go away just gets drowned out at higher rpm’s. It’s on an MX6000, about 55 hours, all fluids and filters changed, and it doesn’t seem to affect performance. Thank you!
Are you applying the parking brake at any point during that audio clip? There's more noise transferred into the cab with the parking brake applied. Also, I've noticed that the bucket level indicator vibrates at a frequency that produces an annoying metallic tone.

beal13

Equipment
MX6000, ZD326P
Apr 29, 2024
Monte131!$7
Are you applying the parking brake at any point during that audio clip? There's more noise transferred into the cab with the parking brake applied. Also, I've noticed that the bucket level indicator vibrates at a frequency that produces an annoying metallic tone.
Hi, yes the parking break is on so I’ll have to try without, it’s not a cab model though. Sounds perfect for close to 2 minutes warming up from starting and then the sound starts. Thanks

beal13

Equipment
MX6000, ZD326P
Apr 29, 2024
Monte131!$7
Just an update that the noise is present with or without the parking brake and we don’t have a bucket level indicator. It definitely appears to be engine related as it’s not present until the engine is warm and once it starts the only way to make it go away or maybe just appear to go away is having the throttle at the lowest setting.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
My 6000 has had that rattle since I got it at 125 hrs. Has 240ish now. Put on headphones and turn it up.

Like you said, no performance issues here, oil is good and regens are consistent. I haven’t worried much about it.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'd forgotten that my MX has the same "feature". I don't know if this will work but I recorded my MX6000 warming up from cold with all accessories off. It took about 3 minutes with the engine running at around 1,500 rpm before the additional sound could be heard. This audio clip is 30 seconds long and the sound "kicks in" at 21 seconds.

I have close to 200 hours on my MX now (bought new), and had 110 hours or so on the open station MX6000 that I sold. I don't remember if that one had the same "feature", but it was a smooth running beast, as is this one. It would be interesting to know what is activating and making that sound. It could be part of the exhaust system, the HST pump, and hopefully @whitetiger or @North Idaho Wolfman can chime in and explain the mystery.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@beal13, I changed the sharing permissions to "anyone with the link" so you should be able to listen to the audio file now.

beal13

Equipment
MX6000, ZD326P
Apr 29, 2024
Monte131!$7
I'd forgotten that my MX has the same "feature". I don't know if this will work but I recorded my MX6000 warming up from cold with all accessories off. It took about 3 minutes with the engine running at around 1,500 rpm before the additional sound could be heard. This audio clip is 30 seconds long and the sound "kicks in" at 21 seconds.

I have close to 200 hours on my MX now (bought new), and had 110 hours or so on the open station MX6000 that I sold. I don't remember if that one had the same "feature", but it was a smooth running beast, as is this one. It would be interesting to know what is activating and making that sound. It could be part of the exhaust system, the HST pump, and hopefully @whitetiger or @North Idaho Wolfman can chime in and explain the mystery.
Thank you! I believe that’s definitely the same. I won’t stress over it anymore.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thank you! I believe that’s definitely the same. I won’t stress over it anymore.
I would like to know the "why" if someone cares to enlighten us. 😂

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm wondering if the change in sound has something to do with the EGR valve. The valve is closed when the engine is cold, but as it warms up the valve opens to allow exhaust gas to pass through the EGR cooler and into the intake. Hmmm ....

I'm trying to remember if the M6060 does this too. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I am wondering if a couple of the injectors are turning off, to make the engine warm up faster ? It is a common feature with electronically controlled engines.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi, yes the parking break is on so I’ll have to try without, it’s not a cab model though. Sounds perfect for close to 2 minutes warming up from starting and then the sound starts. Thanks
Warranty?
Call the dealer!
Have him pick it up!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I am wondering if a couple of the injectors are turning off, to make the engine warm up faster ? It is a common feature with electronically controlled engines.
I looked through the WSM and have yet to find any explanation as to the cold start process but I like the way you're thinking.

Many years ago when I bought my first diesel truck, a 2002 F350 Crew Cab DRW shown below, I had no idea that the injectors would shut off when letting off on the accelerator. I remember my first drive from the docks in Honolulu to my house in Aiea, and a particular down grade when the engine appeared to die, but the silence was just the injectors shutting off.

There's no compression breaking with those trucks, so I ended up tapping into the EBPV (exhaust back pressure valve) circuit which is used for warm up, and adding a switch and LED so that I could activate the valve on long down grades such as the Likelike Hwy. It made a huge difference to how much braking was required. Great memories of this 6-speed manual truck. It was an XLT 7.3L model and cost $34k in 2001.

Matson (1).jpg

Matson (4).jpg

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Umm.. I am trying to understand this. Perhaps you could explain how turning off an injector would help to warm up an engine? Also I think you would definitely notice if an injector turned off at idle on a 4 cylinder engine. Wouldn't it be running really rough..?

Always trying to learn!

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Umm.. I am trying to understand this. Perhaps you could explain how turning off an injector would help to warm up an engine? Also I think you would definitely notice if an injector turned off at idle on a 4 cylinder engine. Wouldn't it be running really rough..?

Always trying to learn!
The other cyls work harder to keep the engine running, this raises the cyl temps, which warms the engine faster. The engine does run rougher, which is the change in sound we are hearing.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I did a cold start test on the M6060 this morning and recorded the engine sound for 7 minutes. I think at around 1.45 minutes after starting there's a change in sound but it's very subtle compared to the MX6000. The audio file in the link is 30 seconds long and the change in sound can be heard at around 20 seconds. The M6060 warms up way faster than the MX6000 if the coolant temperature gauges are anything to go by.

I changed the file of the MX to an MP3 and added here for ease of comparison.

Last edited: