MX5200 HST vs. L3560 HSTC

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
I currently have a 2014 B2320HSD with 200 hrs. It has a Loader, 60"MMM, 50" Front Mount Snow Blower, 60" back Blade, and a set of 48" home made forks. It was my first semi decent sized tractor with a loader, and I have found this to be a very versatile set up. I have a 500 ft drive and lots of turn around areas to keep cleared of snow in the winter, and grade/level during the rest of the year. And I mow about 3 acres (fairly flat).

However, after a few years of use, I find myself wanting more. More weight, more lift capacity, and more PTO power eventually. What I would like to do with it is:
  • I have 20 acres clear. My property has really gotten overgrown over time to the point you can not walk it anymore. I plan to get a root grapple to clear out much of the heavy brush, and eventually get a bush hog (72") to finish clearing and to maintain it.
  • There will be a construction job that will require some clearing this summer.
  • I plan to trade-in/sell my my B2320, so the new tractor will need to be used for snow clearing (84" snow blade to start with). And I would have to buy something else for mowing (most likely a zero turn).
  • The plan is to get a 72" Box blade with rippers to smooth out the yard and then I need to replant. I just had a new pole barn built. Between the delivery trucks and cement trucks, they destroyed my lawn. 4 cement trucks got stuck and buried to their axles. It took two other cement trucks to get them pulled out. This has left 2.5 foot ruts all over plus a lot of other damage.

I went to my local dealer expecting to look at an L4701; but as the dealer explained, the MX tractors are not that much more, and are more tractor. They had an MX5200HST that I tested out, and I really liked it. The loader control was much smoother than my B. There was also a L3560 Cab that I had already written off because it is to expensive... but the dealer said he would make me a great deal on it, and he did. So the L3560 is now made the decision a lot harder.

Either way I go, I plan to equip the tractor with a loader, a 72" box blade, and a third function valve. Separately I will buy a root grapple. Before next winter I would get a QA snow blade with hyd tilt. And sometime next year I plan to get a rotary cutter at least 72" wide. Eventually, I will get back to having a snow blower.

To mow my lawn, I would need to get a zero turn or keep my existing tractor for that purpose. It seams a waist to keep the existing tractor vs. getting a zero turn, but keeping the B2320 would also allow me to have a front mount snow blower until I save enough to get a blower for the new tractor.

MX5200 vs. L3560
  • Basically equivalent weight (L3560 is a slightly heavier)
  • Lifting capacity at the pin is significantly higher on the MX (approximately 1 ton vs. 3/4 ton).
  • HP of the MX is significantly higher than the L (at the PTO: 44.2 hp vs. 28 hp)
  • Cost is surprisingly close (MX=$30,700 vs. L=33,030) with same options.

The Intangibles:
  • I am getting older and having the Cab in the winter would be really nice... and is one of the biggest reasons I keep thinking more about the L.
  • As much as the cab would be great in the winter, I really like being out in the open during the summer. It's not like we get a lot of sun here, and I would like to enjoy it when I can.
  • The L has the power up switch on the joy stick... I really like that.
  • I did not like the auto throttle that much, but I never really got a chance to adjust it. But it rode a lot smoother with that feature turned off.
  • Part of the reason I did not like the auto throttle on the L was because the seat was bouncing me all over the place, and my foot was not very steady in the peddle. I tried adjusting the seat but not much. I need to spend more time to see if I can stiffen the suspension up... if not, then I do not think I like the ride at all (to bouncy).
  • The MX rode really nice.
  • I plan on using a snow blade with the new tractor and hope it will be enough to keep up with winter. However, I do like that blowers keep the banks low... because the driveway is usually as deep as the banks when we get any kind of wind.
  • I may eventually get a blower, and I do not like the idea of a neck breaking rear blower. You can get a front blower for the L3560, but it would be more than $8k to do so (my cheapness will probably never let that happen). So if I do get a blower, I can get quit a bit bigger blower on the MX (84" vs. 72" ish).
  • Going with a larger Grand L to get the power and lifting capability at the same level as the MX5200 is out of my budget and will not be happening.

The MX5200 makes a lot of sense for the work I want to do, but I am not sure the L3560 would not be adequate. The dealer, thought I would probably be more happy with the MX (and he has seen my property).

So my logical side says get the MX, but that Grand L is sure nice and I would like a cab in the winter. The cab is probably not as big a deal when plowing, but if I get a blower it would be great.

I am leaning towards to MX, but I think I would regret not getting the Grand L. I could get a cab eventually on the MX for about $6.3k... which totall blows the cost advantage.

So are there any thoughts out there on which way to go? For me it comes down to a decision of power and lifting capability versus comfort. Am I missing anything. All things considered, I would go with the MX, but I have changed my mind several times now.

This si a lot to read... sorry about that. It helps me to write down my options... so it got a little long.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
The Reader's Digest version:

Two choices:
1. Get the tractor that has the power and lift capability to get hhe job done quicker with the size impliments I would like to use for the work I have. That is the MX5200.
2. I am getting old and winters are getting longer. It may take longer to get the job done, but it can be done in a lot more comfort with the Grand L3560.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
The auto throttle on the 3560 can be turned off.
Snow and the need of a cab seems to be a long term issue. Lots of winters ahead of you.
Seems to me the acrage work is a short term problem. Once you have the acreage cleared do you need the extra lifting power ?
Cabs are also nice in summer dusty mowing jobs.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Unless you just can't swing it, I'd forget both and buy an L5060HSTC. Age has a way of changing priorities and what may seem "nice" now can become a "necessity" as time passes.

If money simply isn't there, go for the L3560HSTC.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
The auto throttle on the 3560 can be turned off...
Thanks for the response
Correct... I did turn auto throttle off when I was testing it out, and liked the ride much better. So your are correct, I do not think the auto throttle is an issue.

... Seems to me the acrage work is a short term problem. Once you have the acreage cleared do you need the extra lifting power ?
Higher HP would be good for larger rotary cutter to maintain the cleared land, and for getting a larger snow blower. But you are correct, I could just go smaller implements, which lets me get on the tractor for a longer time - not all that bad.:D

... Cabs are also nice in summer dusty mowing jobs.
I like being out in the open spring-fall. But I am sure that would change if it gets real hot. Doesn't get above 85 F around here very often.

Unless you just can't swing it, I'd forget both and buy an L5060HSTC. Age has a way of changing priorities and what may seem "nice" now can become a "necessity" as time passes.

If money simply isn't there, go for the L3560HSTC.
Appreciate the comment.
I cannot swing the large Grand L's. This is bigger than the B2650 Cab, and way nicer; but it is about as big as I am going to want to budget.
The thought of having a cab was what got me looking at different tractors originally. This year was a light winter around here. I still managed to get totally covered in snow while blowing it on windy days a several times this year. I guess I need to remember back a couple years when I was out there about everyday from November through April. I do like winter, but about this time of year I am ready for it to be over.