Muffler Mod?

Rut Row

Equipment
Kubota L2250DT
Mar 14, 2019
Keedysville, MD USA
My L2250 muffler is broken off

The cheapest replacement muffler I found was $350! YIKES!

The L305 motor is almost identical to the L2250 so I suspect the back pressure and flow is about the same.

L2250 engine Kubota D1302-DI-A 79.3ci
L305 engine Kubota D1301 79.27ci

Better yet, the L305 muffler is $40.

I'm thinking of taking the base to the L2250 muffler and the an L305 muffler to a muffler shop and having an adapter made that can clamp onto the L2250 base and allow me to attach the L305 muffler.

Anyone see and issues with that?

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Anything is worth a shot, just don't put a straight pipe on it. Naturally aspirated diesels are stupid loud. I pulled the muffler on my M9 and put on a straight pipe because the muffler sits above the engine under the hood and makes it difficult to perform service but the M9 is turbocharged so the turbo acts like a muffler. Sounds nice. No turbo engines sound nasty.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hate to tell you they are not close to the same.
The L305 muffler is a smaller dia muffler that clamps onto a smaller pipe that bolts to the manifold.
You will also need to buy the upper pipe.

You're L2250 is a flange muffler that just bolts to the manifold.

You will be better off and do like I did and just get a MF or generic muffler of the same diameter as the flange pipe from your muffler and have that welded on.
because the pipe size is the same the back pressure (which is not critical in a diesel) will be close enough to work. ;)

Ebay, search for tractor muffler, and check pipe sizes.
If it's a strait pipe muffler get a flapper valve!

Rut Row

Equipment
Kubota L2250DT
Mar 14, 2019
Keedysville, MD USA
Hate to tell you they are not close to the same.
The L305 muffler is a smaller dia muffler that clamps onto a smaller pipe that bolts to the manifold.
You will also need to buy the upper pipe.

You're L2250 is a flange muffler that just bolts to the manifold.

You will be better off and do like I did and just get a MF or generic muffler of the same diameter as the flange pipe from your muffler and have that welded on.
because the pipe size is the same the back pressure (which is not critical in a diesel) will be close enough to work. ;)

Ebay, search for tractor muffler, and check pipe sizes.
If it's a strait pipe muffler get a flapper valve!
Thanks. This is what I'm looking for. BTW, where are you getting the inside dimensions for the L305 muffler?

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
RR, I'd suggest taking a 4" angle grinder with a cut off wheel and work on the remains of the previous muffler on the exhaust manifold. Then work on it with a flap disc to get it smooth as possible. Then measure the OD of the part you need to set the muffler on. Then go to the nearest muffler shop and tell them what you need. Set it on and weld it with a wire welder.

Rut Row

Equipment
Kubota L2250DT
Mar 14, 2019
Keedysville, MD USA
RR, I'd suggest taking a 4" angle grinder with a cut off wheel and work on the remains of the previous muffler on the exhaust manifold. Then work on it with a flap disc to get it smooth as possible. Then measure the OD of the part you need to set the muffler on. Then go to the nearest muffler shop and tell them what you need. Set it on and weld it with a wire welder.
thanks! I'll keep you guys posted

Last edited:

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
So my M4500 came with a muffler that was more or less round. But when it came time to replace it I just bought a straight in/out glass-pack with the correct size outlet, cut the nipple off one end and welded a 24 inch extension on in its place (didn't want to use a clamp on the top too). Looks very much like stock (except no seams), straight through design, but far quieter than a straight pipe. Works great, ought to last for years.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
How handy are you?

One could cut the flange off of the original stuff, and then weld it to a new muffler/pipe assembly. I'd personally probably gusset it a little bit but it should be doable.

that is assuming that the flange is cast steel or normal steel, and not cast iron. Cast steel welds beautifully and holds up just fine.

....and yes there IS a such thing as a turbocharged engine that doesn't sound good. Plenty of them running around on the roads. Subaru comes to mind as does about anything that has an inline 6. These guys with the dodge pickups straight pipe them and think they sound "good". They sound like absolute crap. So do the 6.4, 6.7 Fords and all of the Durajunk GM pickups. The 7.3 isn't great but better than the 6.4 & 6.7. 6.0-depending on what turbo's on it, doesn't sound too bad. About the only ones I enjoy listening to are the old screaming Jimmy's which are getting scarce. My car is a 2.3L Ford with a little turbo and it sounds like a tractor. Yes literally sounds like a tractor. In slow-mo it sounds like a steam engine.

Rut Row

Equipment
Kubota L2250DT
Mar 14, 2019
Keedysville, MD USA
How handy are you?

One could cut the flange off of the original stuff, and then weld it to a new muffler/pipe assembly. I'd personally probably gusset it a little bit but it should be doable.

that is assuming that the flange is cast steel or normal steel, and not cast iron. Cast steel welds beautifully and holds up just fine.
I'm an okay welder and a passable machinist.

The original muffler appears to have been welded onto the flange. I want to make it so that future mufflers clamp on so either I'll weld on a short pipe, or more likely I'll let the muffler shop do it.