Mudflaps, rock guards, gravel guard, rock tamers, etc. - what do you use?

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
How have you been - Enjoying the spring up in the Big sky country?
When I first saw that last picture, I thought those were some awesome tailpipes.
I think I'd rather have the flaps on the truck as well, instead of something on the trailer. I keep telling the wife I'm looking for a set of flaps that have the chrome girl silhouettes on them. She doesn't believe me. I'd settle for the Yosemite Sam ones.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I was behind a tractor-trailer other day. Surprised me how close those flaps were to road - - only about 2". Made me think of your project.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
How have you been - Enjoying the spring up in the Big sky country?
When I first saw that last picture, I thought those were some awesome tailpipes.
I think I'd rather have the flaps on the truck as well, instead of something on the trailer. I keep telling the wife I'm looking for a set of flaps that have the chrome girl silhouettes on them. She doesn't believe me. I'd settle for the Yosemite Sam ones.
Doing ok thanks! We seem to go from winter to summer up here, although it's raining today and more on the way.

I have some reflective strips and also some Banks badges so I might get creative on the mud flaps. :)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I was behind a tractor-trailer other day. Surprised me how close those flaps were to road - - only about 2". Made me think of your project.
There are so many things in life we never notice or think about until we start a project, and then we notice a lot more.

The polymer panels were supposed to be here yesterday but FedEx informed me that they're delayed and will be here today. I'll mock up the panels this afternoon and will start out with a 2"x4" under them to see how 1-3/4" of clearance looks. The closer the better but the panels need to clear the ground of course. The transition from the road below me onto the gravel driveway is probably the biggest daily challenge, so they'll need to be off the ground enough to handle that.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A bit of an update on this project. I got the homemade Rock Tamers installed this morning. I ended up adding some tabs in order to bolt the angle to the outside of the bumper to provide better support for the angle that the flaps are bolted to. The only issue now is that the flaps are a bit close to the ground and have a tendency to rub when making tight turns, or on uneven ground. I think I'll trim off at least an inch from the bottom, and maybe two. Overall I'm pleased with how they turned out, and all for around $27.

rock_tamers_1.jpg

rock_tamers_2.jpg

bracket_1.jpg