Mowing 'help' and advice plz

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
got my L59 woods deck mowing today...but that's about all I can say about it.

Rough deck, very basic. Needs blades (ordered now i know it works).

I"m used to garden/lawn tractors and zero turn mowers - so this is a bit larger/heavier duty, um, cruder than I'm used to.

And a few places the center blade caught dirt - it's a farm not a golf course and not flat and level like a billiard table..damned near stalled the motor on one scalp

I'd like wheels on it..can't find the mounting bits, and probably an anti-scalp roller (i see it in the manual i found online)..but googling isn't turning up any parts like these.

Getting the mowing height set right...??? Hence my thought of wheels...

Any advice on mowing with a big honkin tractor?

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Some parts of the caster setup are available thru ebay. But not all as you said. Either find a junk deck to raid parts from or fabricate your own. Given that these units are 50 years old, you are lucky to find any parts.

Pat

prof.fate

Equipment
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
really that old?
Sure, for MY tractor i'm sure as it's a 70s model and came with the deck as a mowing machine.

When I google L59 (or 59..L is left discharge, anti-clockwise spinning blades) seems they made them for every tractor out there.

A deck is a deck..why change/discontinue it?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Post a picture of your mower and show us your problem. I don't think you have a very big problem, no matter how old the deck is, steel is steel!

If you don't have the ability to improvise and adapt, don't buy things needing it.:D

prof.fate

Equipment
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
hmm..shitty advice unless it's tounge in cheek.

I got a 1338 hours tractor, allways kept indoors, with mower deck for $350 and a rifle..total about $700.

Drove it home (about 3 miles). It works just fine.

The previous owners didn't use it much over the past 14 years..47 hours to be exact. They did try to brush hog with the deck...

So I'm having to put it back together and got a manual, got it mowing yesterday and it would do MUCH better with some wheels or ANYTHING that rides on the ground.

Based on 45 years of mowing my own yards and a few years doing it profesionally.

I can weld and figure that's what I"ll have to work on.

Post a picture of your mower and show us your problem. I don't think you have a very big problem, no matter how old the deck is, steel is steel!

If you don't have the ability to improvise and adapt, don't buy things needing it.:D