Mower deck tensioner pulley. which side of gearbox?

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
At the start of winter i disconnected the spring on the tensioner pulley on my mower deck. This was the first time I'd done this and it was a b*tch to get off. I just went through putting it back on and was having a helluva time. There was no way i was getting it back on. I then noticed that the pulley on the gear box was stopping it so i removed the belt and moved the pulley to the otherside and it went on easily with some vise grips.

My question is, do i now have this assembly together wrong? There is definitely more slack in the belt due to the give in the spring but it still seems reasonable. Before the belt was much tighter.

The blue scribble is the side the pulley arm was on before.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I'm not exactly sure of the problem, the tension pulley only pivots from one point, the belt controls where the pulley ends up, if it's located correctly in the grove of each pulley then all should be good. Make sure the belt is properly located. If it was 2" to the right previously, it's either not in one of the pulleys correctly now, or it was incorrectly fitted previously I expect.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Right, but the bar that holds the tensioner puller was hitting the gearbox pulley so it was limited to how far it could go. I had to physically put it to where it is.

I believe it was incorrectly assembled before but, i just want to make sure i don't have it wrong.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
There is definitely more slack in the belt due to the give in the spring but it still seems reasonable. Before the belt was much tighter.
If the belt is in the pulleys correctly now, then the belt must have been loose before, not tight. The spring may have been tight, but the belt loose, unless the belt was caught up on something else.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
If the belt is in the pulleys correctly now, then the belt must have been loose before, not tight. The spring may have been tight, but the belt loose, unless the belt was caught up on something else.
Makes sense. Not sure what i was thinking but it was november when i took it off. Didn't seem loose before but i was more focused on the spring and, not knowing better, it was how it was delivered to me. May have been caught up on something else. Not sure. Never had an issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It would help if you included the Model # of the deck. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you, and yes you have it in the right position now. ;)

Still mowen in Ct

Equipment
BX 1870,Mowing 54 inch belly,FEL for snow and fire wood hauling
Apr 23, 2017
tolland cnty ct
At the start of winter i disconnected the spring on the tensioner pulley on my mower deck. This was the first time I'd done this and it was a b*tch to get off. I just went through putting it back on and was having a helluva time. There was no way i was getting it back on. I then noticed that the pulley on the gear box was stopping it so i removed the belt and moved the pulley to the otherside and it went on easily with some vise grips.

My question is, do i now have this assembly together wrong? There is definitely more slack in the belt due to the give in the spring but it still seems reasonable. Before the belt was much tighter.

The blue scribble is the side the pulley arm was on before.
Looks good.

Since the age of digital I take pics before I tear anything apart so my old brain knows how to put it back, correctly !!

Curious as to why you removed it in the Fall?

I know the book calls for it for long term storage and probably to avoid a dead spot in the belt while sitting causing thumping when reattached and put into operartion later on.

I found it impossible to remove the tension without a small "come along" or other such devise and possibly loosing a finger in the process.

My fix is to leave it on and every week or so I give the blades a turn to move the belt along the pulls as to not allow it to form a dead spot in any position for any period of time.
3 Winters storing that way, inside and its been fine. Spins fine after reinstalling.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Looks good.

Since the age of digital I take pics before I tear anything apart so my old brain knows how to put it back, correctly !!
I usually do too. Mostly when I'm doing things that are a little more involved for me (electrical wiring, tearing apart things i have no experoence with, etc...)

Curious as to why you removed it in the Fall?

I know the book calls for it for long term storage and probably to avoid a dead spot in the belt while sitting causing thumping when reattached and put into operartion later on.
Basically because the manual said to do so.

I found it impossible to remove the tension without a small "come along" or other such devise and possibly loosing a finger in the process.

My fix is to leave it on and every week or so I give the blades a turn to move the belt along the pulls as to not allow it to form a dead spot in any position for any period of time.
3 Winters storing that way, inside and its been fine. Spins fine after reinstalling.
I may go this route from here on out. Although, after i got this straightened out, it was pretty easy to get back on.

Still mowen in Ct

Equipment
Apr 23, 2017
tolland cnty ct
I usually do too. Mostly when I'm doing things that are a little more involved for me (electrical wiring, tearing apart things i have no experoence with, etc...)

Basically because the manual said to do so.

I may go this route from here on out. Although, after i got this straightened out, it was pretty easy to get back on.
I couldn't release that spring the 1st year I stored my deck so I opted for the easy way out and it seems to be OK.

Check out this guys mfg ideas for storage of the deck.
If I had the room I would do it as you can roll the deck around as needed.
I also like the brass bushing wheels. The originals are crappy as the grease fitting screws are tapped into the plastic wheel and if they strip your screwed.

http://www.moweraxle.com/photos.html

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I couldn't release that spring the 1st year I stored my deck so I opted for the easy way out and it seems to be OK.

Check out this guys mfg ideas for storage of the deck.
If I had the room I would do it as you can roll the deck around as needed.
I also like the brass bushing wheels. The originals are crappy as the grease fitting screws are tapped into the plastic wheel and if they strip your screwed.

http://www.moweraxle.com/photos.html
I bought a set of thoseafter two years of struggling with deck storage. Well worth the money.

Still mowen in Ct

Equipment
Apr 23, 2017
tolland cnty ct
I bought a set of thoseafter two years of struggling with deck storage. Well worth the money.
They look great
I would get them too if I had a large storage area.
I take my deck off, friend helps me lean it up against the garage wall and thats were it stays till yesterday.

I am considering the wheels because on 2 of mine while pulling the gun off the fitting came out too. Found out from the dealer they are tapped into plastic..CHEEEESSSYYY